Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 148

Thread: Team Competition -- Who will win what medals?

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    764
    oh yeah sure, but i meant is the whole team gonna be in the k&c together or is it basically just an individual event with them collating all the scores behind the scenes?

  2. #122
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,800
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    oh yeah sure, but i meant is the whole team gonna be in the k&c together or is it basically just an individual event with them collating all the scores behind the scenes?
    The Sochi team skating will have ten Kiss and Cry areas, one for each country - similar to WTT.

  3. #123
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,697
    Quote Originally Posted by flutzy13 View Post
    If you look at Z&B's versus C&S's scores internationally, this isn't the case. There were less than 3 points at Nats between a perfect Z&B (literally the absolute best they could do) and C&S with some small errors and a fall. Marissa and Simon have bigger elements, are faster and have a more sophisticated quality and programs that should be reflected in PCS. Because neither team is in the medal hunt, I think USFS made the right choice by not splitting them.

    I am however a fan of Felicia and Nate and thrilled that they skated lights out at Nats and triumpled over politics and (over)hype of D&C to make the team. I hope they have a wonderful Olympic experience and stick around.
    Good point but the next question is will it make a difference being closer ie to fourth but still in fifth either way doesn't matter (just giving an example.

  4. #124
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,697
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    The Sochi team skating will have ten Kiss and Cry areas, one for each country - similar to WTT.
    And coaches switchingnational jackets faster than the American pairs switch partners.

  5. #125
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,697
    Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    What about Team Japan? If they are perfect in the singles maybe they can get medal.
    Yep they can; they will do better in the long program - the key is for them to win the singles and hope that the dance and pairs aren't to far behind in the short. If in the short the spoilers like the Ukrainians and Germans and teams get in the way well they could find it hard but they have a good shot at a medal - I am doubtful gold though.

  6. #126
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    And coaches switchingnational jackets faster than the American pairs switch partners.
    BAHAHAHA! That was funny!

  7. #127
    Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Chemistry Building
    Posts
    1,422
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    but they probably wouldn't win gold with w/p and kevin on the team anyway so its a moo point
    Moo point?

    http://static.tumblr.com/e38139c78bc...2m81r8rtom.gif

    (Sorry I couldn't resist)

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvyne View Post
    I think Skate Canada prefers a gold medal in the men's event than a gold medal in the team event. They want Patrick to have enough time to rest in between events. I think it was his decision.
    At this point they dont have much chance of the Team Gold anymore anyway, so they might as well just use Reynolds or Weaver & Poje (preferably W&P) to give one of V&M or Chan some rest.

  9. #129
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    At this point they dont have much chance of the Team Gold anymore anyway, so they might as well just use Reynolds or Weaver & Poje (preferably W&P) to give one of V&M or Chan some rest.
    How do they not have much chance for Team Gold?? I see gold between Canada and Russia at this point, their ladies and dance teams are pretty solid.

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    764
    if chan skates the long and doesn't psych himself out, they have a good chance at gold

  11. #131
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,978
    I don't think it's even close to calling it over for Canada. They're merely 2 points behind Russia. Had Chan skated slightly better they'd be tied or 1 point ahead of Team Russia. There are 6 segments left to skate, and lots of potential for Russia to lose the gold (e.g. S/K don't skate well, I/K make an error which has happened, Plushenko skates like at Russian nationals). And this is assuming Julia skates well enough. I do agree though that Plushenko placed higher than expected, and because of that, Russia is in a much stronger position to take gold.

  12. #132
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,819
    V/T will not be skating the in Pairs FS, which means Canada will have a chance to equalize Russia in Pairs, possibly even move ahead. M-T/M have stronger basics than D/R and are the more classical pair skaters in the sense that their individual elements are not as difficult but their pair elements are stronger.

    Russia is a question mark in Ice Dance. Italy and France both have a chance of pushing the Russian Dance team way down and they will do their best because it can boost their standings in the eyes of the judges before the individual events. B/S have a history of splashing on ice this season, not exactly a sure bet when they take the ice. Even if B/S doesn't splash, it's not a sure bet they can make the top 3 after the SD. People expected B/S to do very well perhaps even medal at the 2011 Worlds in Russia, instead, they got absolutely trashed, even on Russian soil.

    Ladies is another big question mark. But to quote Irina Slutskaya : "Ice is slippery." Julia is not going to be infaillable, nobody will ever be. Julia also has never been tested in such high pressure environment. Osmond handled the pressure very well last year - until she was in the final group of ladies' FS at the World Championship with all the big guns skating around her. To put all the egg in Julia's basket is very risky, she is just 15 and look like 12, in other words, just a kid. That's a lot of pressure on a little girl if you ask me.

  13. #133
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    128
    I do think Chan should skate the free for the sake of his confidence. There won't be a Yuzuru there to beat him by nearly ten points.

  14. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    How do they not have much chance for Team Gold?? I see gold between Canada and Russia at this point, their ladies and dance teams are pretty solid.
    Russia has a HUGE advantage in the ladies. Unless several people bomb to allow Osmond to place way higher than expected, Julia will beat Osmond by several spots or more in both programs without question. And no Julia wont falter, that is wishful thinking. V&M will probably only beat B&S by 1 spot in the SD, and France probably wont make team finals so I&K should come only 1 spot behind there too. Moore-Towers & Moscovitch will probably come somewhere from 2nd to 4th in the pair final round. S&K will probably be 1st or 2nd I believe.

    Unless something majorly unexpected happens Russia has this in the bag, whether Chan skates the final round or not (and he probably wont).

  15. #135
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Russia has a HUGE advantage in the ladies. Unless several people bomb to allow Osmond to place way higher than expected, Julia will beat Osmond by several spots or more in both programs without question. And no Julia wont falter, that is wishful thinking. V&M will probably only beat B&S by 1 spot in the SD, and France probably wont make team finals so I&K should come only 1 spot behind there too. Moore-Towers & Moscovitch will probably come somewhere from 2nd to 4th in the pair final round. S&K will probably be 1st or 2nd I believe.

    Unless something majorly unexpected happens Russia has this in the bag, whether Chan skates the final round or not (and he probably wont).
    1) I think you underestimate the streakiness of Russian ice dance
    2) Its not really wishful thinking that Julia will falter-- home crowd could possibly make her feel more pressure, along with Russia being in front at the moment.
    3) When Osmond is on, like during Canadian Nationals, her score may very well surprise (especially since we have few references for her clean skate scores outside of Canada).

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •