Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: What the Russians say

Custom Title
    I'm not sure what your definition of discrimination is, but any time a government passes a law that targets a specific group to deny them the same rights and privileges enjoyed by the majority of its people, that's a pretty textbook case of discrimination. Whether or not that particular law is enforced regularly or not.

But I thank you for the civilized discussion. It is a nice change of pace from being branded a Russian-hater which, alas, has been the case in the past here.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    I'm not sure what your definition of discrimination is, but any time a government passes a law that targets a specific group to deny them the same rights and privileges enjoyed by the majority of its people, that's a pretty textbook case of discrimination. Whether or not that particular law is enforced regularly or not.
    And it's not just denying rights, it's the persecution that goes with it. Whether the fines or imprisonment are carried out is something we will never actually have a legitimate record of -- of COURSE Russia will say "Oh, nobody's actually being fined or imprisoned, except well, the ones we don't tell you about." The greater issue is that it's part of law and these punishments are stipulated within the law. As mentioned, that establishes a sense of stigma as well as is a blatant attempt to stifle any constructive conversation or discourse without it being brashly dismissed and disparaged as "propaganda" and intimidating people into keeping their mouths shut.

Custom Title
    A major study conducted by University of Melbourne researchers has concluded that same-sex parents actually raise children slightly better than straight couples.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/14/635/abstract

Custom Title
    The Melbourne study has its flaws. It's a small sampling of self-reporting parents, so there is always the chance of bias in the self-reporting. To me what is the most interesting finding of the study doesn't concern sexual orientation, but gender roles. LGBT parents did not follow traditional gender roles; the person best suited for a particular aspect of parenting and maintaining the family did that particular aspect. The heterosexual parents, on the other hand, were much more likely to follow traditional gender roles, even if a particular partner wasn't as well-suited as the other might be. Gee, having the best person do the job, regardless of their gender. Now there's a revolutionary thought...

And just to show that Americans can be as stupidly discriminatory as anyone else, Mississippi's odious gay segregation bill is now the law of the state. Yes, it is now legally permissible for shop owners in Mississippi to refuse to serve gay customers if they have a religious objection to doing so.
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2...ruck_down.html
    Welcome to the new era of Gay Crow Laws.

Custom Title
    It's absolutely disgusting. I guess they'll also have the right to refuse Muslims, atheists, Buddhists, etc. People would be outraged these days if someone was refused because of their race. Just give it another couple of years and the fossilized bigots will eventually die out, and their (hopefully unbrainwashed) kids will be a better example of common decency and anti-discrimination.

Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samkrut@mail.ru View Post
    But in general I would agree that the Russian population at large is not ready yet to think of the LGBT people as "normal". I would not name it discrimination though.
    These things needs time and it's a long process. Russia has a long history of dictatorship etc., I get that.
    The West cannot pretend a quick change that concerns many aspects of civil society, in these countries.
    Even in Italy many are not so ready and we have a lot of problems regarding this issue, thanks to the Vatican as well.
    But the problem is when a government reinforce this attitude and culture with laws.
    That is discrimination.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    These things needs time and it's a long process. Russia has a long history of dictatorship etc., I get that.
    The West cannot pretend a quick change that concerns many aspects of civil society, in these countries.
    Even in Italy many are not so ready and we have a lot of problems regarding this issue, thanks to the Vatican as well.
    But the problem is when a government reinforce this attitude and culture with laws.
    That is discrimination.
    IMO the topic was artificially boosted last year. In the West to discredit Sochi Olympics, in Russia to find some basis for Putin's support which started to wane. Then both sides found much better ground - poor Ukraine. Now for the West Russia is once again an "evil empire". Putin's public approval in Russia is all times high. LGBT topic is completely forgotten at least here. In fact, I guess, nothing has changed for the better or for the worse.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11