Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Thread: What the Russians say

Go sonograms & silver foxes silverfoxes's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    All the manipulation from the juries reminded me too much of our electoral college and the 6.0 era in skating. Don't like it at all...but I wasn't so crazy about any song in the competition that I could find the energy to get upset.

I'm curious, are there prizes given to any of the runners-up?

On the Ice

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow63 View Post
    I honestly don't like both Russia's and Ukraine's songs. The first one is too noisy, too busy, and too 'bubble-gum pop', which is not my favorite genre at all (but the performance was A+ and I can actually see why so many people liked it, it's extremely generic song). And the second was extremely pretentious, forgettable and dull in my opinion. That's funny, because they're 1st and 3rd.
    Australia should easily be the winner. I also enjoyed a lot Armenia and France. Jury's vote was way more politically driven than usual, but I don't know why people are so surprised? It's Eurovison. Hello! I only was surprised that so many people actually voted for Russia, knowing all the geo-political mess.
    My Jewish relatives from Israel are also arguing on facebook that Eurovison picked ISIS-style song. It's has nothing to do with Ukraine as we know it. Talked to my uncle from Tel Aviv, he said Ukrainian singed in half English half Turkic language about her distant relatives which were removed out the Crimea to Uzbekistan because Crimean Tatars were collaborating with nazi during WW2. 20k Muslims from Crimea served in nazi muslim SS legion, they were so effective that Hitler send them all to France to fight La Resistance in 1944 after Soviet liberated Crimea. We all know their modus of operandi.

Well it's a common knowledge how European bureaucrats want to whitewash the history now and rehabilitate collaboration with nazi, but we, Jews, we remember very well how entire population of Russain, Jews, Armenian was completely exterminated by nazi and Muslim Turkic in Crimea. As mad as Stalin was, but he listened to his advisors and deported Crimean Muslims to other Muslim friendly region which was also warm and was not devastating by war. Crimean Tatars were much safer in Uzbekistan back in 1944.

If Ukrainian Jamala can sing on Turkic "1944", perhaps Israel should make a song "Babi Yar 1941". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babi_Yar

Politics at this day and age.. I thought Eurovison was never about politics and historic guilt trips, but more about contest of bright and upbeat songs and over-the-top costumes. Ouch.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxes View Post

I'm curious, are there prizes given to any of the runners-up?
    The winner's price is to spent $50+ millions for hosting next Eurovison song contest in their country.

Manuscripts don't burn

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexz View Post
    Politics at this day and age.. I thought Eurovison was never about politics and historic guilt trips, but more about contest of bright and upbeat songs and over-the-top costumes. Ouch.
    There are rumours that originally song was called '2014', but Ukrainian delegation was afraid that the song will be disqualified. Don't know if it's true.

Edit: I just read the comments on Eurovision official FB page. So many people are mad that they spent money to vote, and bunch of 'experts' (just 4 people) decided who should win instead. And some of the comments from Polish people about UPA

Edit #2: This is hysterical! http://eurovisionworld.com/?esc=dani...e-wrong-points
    The Danish jury member Hilda Heick gave the opposite points that she intended to. Denmark gave 12 points to Ukraine on a mistake. Ukraine should have had zero points from Denmark
    Very 'professional' jury
    Last edited by Snow63; 05-16-2016 at 01:50 AM.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    I generally don't really care who won. It's just the fact of politicizing international song contest left a bad taste. Like we don't have enough of politicized ugly factors in sports nowdays. It's actually plays well into propaganda of mutual hatred. Western media came out with the victorious headlines, something like: "We stick it to Russians", or "Russians are butthurt sore grapes losers" &etc. Russian media is clearly something about: "Disgusting politics at ESC, but simple folks made their choice very loud and clear".

I always thought international music festivals, like Eurovision Song Contest should unite people. Especially in such disunited place as Europe, where every neighbor has a historic grudge, ethical tension or separatism issues all across the European continent. I though art and music should unite people, not make them to argue about the results, but simply to enjoy art and talent.

Depressive, moaning and politically contexted statements should not be allowed, because it's not connecting people, but just steering even more controversies and even hate. Eurovision was always about cheerful, upbeat international music with over-the-top costumes. Why moan about 1944 now? Should Armenians now make a song about 1915? A controversial song about genocide specially for Turkey: "1915-1923"? So I see the whole concept of song "1944" as barbaric. Something better to be left alone, it's important to know the history to never repeat it, but it's also important to forgive and don't remind each other of mistakes of the past. Bygones is bygones. Guilt trips usually never works.
    Last edited by Alexz; 05-16-2016 at 01:21 PM.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16