Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Thread: What the Russians say

Custom Title
    Someone should still read them otherwise they would not print them in the first place. And there should still be the correlation between what is printed and what is of the current public interest. For example, the half of today's USA Today politics section was about Greece and it is the biggest topic worlwide. Then I read about Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton - in fact some neutral news and some critique. That, I would imagine, is of the primary concern to Americans: these two are so far principal candidates to be the next president and they are relatives to former presidents (which in fact produces the defensive reaction in Russia - you critisie Putin's reigning but you yourself recycle the same names although under the "democratic procedure"). And nothing on Russia - before when I came here it was always something. Not that I have any negative feelings about that - just an observation.

True. No-one in America cares about Ukraine (or can even locate it on the world map).

The only article that I have seen lately that mentions Russia was about how the negotiations between the U.S. and Iran might affect Russian oil exports.

No one cares anything about Greece or the European Union, since that didn't turn out (yet) to affect the U.S. stock market as much as expected.

China? -- well, yeah, we care about China at the moment because they being offered as the super-villains who hacked into U.S. government computers and crashed United Air Lines yesterday and the New York Stock Exchange today.

As for tolerance of sexual diversity, it is the Middle East and Africa, not Russia, where gay people risk torture and death. President Obama was bluntly warned by the government of Kenya not to mention LGBT issues during his planned state visit later this month.

About Hillary Clinton versus Jeb Bush, I think many Americans are not pleased that there are no serious alternatives. (But Michelle Kwan turned 35 yesterday, so she is now eligible to run for Vice President on an all-woman Hillary ticket. )

Cheering Wildly from the stands
    The Onion Cares! http://www.theonion.com/video/onion-...s-russia-50910
    (just in case someone hasn't heard yet, the Onion is a comedy site)

Quote Originally Posted by Newbiespectator View Post
    There you go, samkrut. And you said there wasn't any coverage of Russian news in the U.S media...

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbiespectator View Post
    Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing this with us, Newbiespectator.

I was never the biggest fan of Putin. But, now that we know what the true motivation behind his moves is, how can anybody possibly disagree with him?!

His assessment of what happened is absolutely spot on!

CaroLiza_fan
    Last edited by CaroLiza_fan; 07-24-2015 at 04:43 AM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Who knew that the Onion has serious skating fans!

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Who knew that the Onion has serious skating fans!
    It surprised me too!

After watching this, I had the idea of going to the Irish equivalent of The Onion, Waterford Whispers, to see if I could find any good stories about Russia to reply with. But, they haven't had anything Russian for a couple of months. And what they do have aren't as good as that one.

Oh well! At least I tried.

CaroLiza_fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    President Obama was bluntly warned by the government of Kenya not to mention LGBT issues during his planned state visit later this month.
    He did anyway.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0PY21820150725

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15