Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: What the Russians say

Custom Title
    I do not think that kleptomania has anything to do with driving (Winona Ryder, I guess, drives OK). They should have studied the list and select only those conditions which do affect driving skills or bear high risk of a sudden attack. Again the principal issue for me is that the International health organization thinks about transsexuality as a mental disorder. Why does no one pick on that? Why Russia again?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by samkrut@mail.ru View Post
    I do not think that kleptomania has anything to do with driving (Winona Ryder, I guess, drives OK). They should have studied the list and select only those conditions which do affect driving skills or bear high risk of a sudden attack. Again the principal issue for me is that the International health organization thinks about transsexuality as a mental disorder. Why does no one pick on that? Why Russia again?
    Russia is the one enacting a law that's preventing transgendered individuals from driving, based on it being characterized as a mental disorder. No other country has done this. And even if other countries did it, it's still wrong for Russia to do that. It's like saying "Why are people condemning Russia for anti-LGBT laws when the Middle East and Uganda treat LGBT people much more severely?" Wrong is wrong.

FYI, homosexuality was once considered by the WHO a mental disorder and no longer is. Back in 2011, European Parliament had also called on the WHO to remove transgenderism as one of their list of mental disorders (gender disphoria).

I joked about it earlier, but it's ridiculous that there are motor vehicle accidents and instead of being tougher on alcohol laws, their "solution" is to prevent kleptos and trans people from driving. Not only would it reduce motor vehicle accidents, the rate of alcoholism deaths in Russia would dramatically decrease.

This law is insane -- from their own mouths, the Russians who made these laws deserve to be labelled as having "mental disorders" for creating this nonsense, and themselves barred from driving.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Russia is the one enacting a law that's preventing transgendered individuals from driving, based on it being characterized as a mental disorder.
    I both agree and at the same time strongly disagree with what you say. The law is stupid. There are hundreds of various conditions that are in the new law, namely all of them related to mental. They relate to millions of people - depression is also there. On the other hand, I do not want to abuse anyone but picking just one of them and stressing that it was all arranged just to further oppress LGBT group is sort of paranoic which by the way is also one of the conditions on the list, namely f22.0

And one more thing. I understand that a significant part of the discussion here is about making a point - not about the essense of things. But for those who are keen to get the sense of reality I would like to say that either the law will be amended or it will not work. The process of medical examination for driving takes place every 10 years and is quite formal. One goes to a private clinic, pays $100 and sees 5 doctors within 15 minutes. I was stupid enough to tell about fibrillation and was asked to pass cardiographia which confirmed it - I could keep the information and easily pass without "extra arrangements". In fact it was even not a bribe - I formally paid for cardiographia but in cash to the doctor who did it without any receipt. The transsexual people do not necessarily need to tell about it. Well, if we are talking about the pride, about making the point - it's another story. But just to say that transexual people will have no chance to drive in Russia is way too big a conclusion even if nothing changes (I still think they will correct the list excluding transsexuality among others).
    Last edited by samkrut@mail.ru; 01-14-2015 at 02:39 AM.

Custom Title
    How would they not tell about it? Many transgendered individuals are quite visibly transgendered as they are switching gender identity. And saying its okay to be transgender, just don't show it, is oppression. A transgendered person should have to hide who they are in order to drive.

Custom Title
    yeah, yeah and the people with depression will have to hide that they have depression. Kleptomaniacs will have to supress the desire to steal from the doctor's office. And some will even have to pay bribes (when you just cannot hide your condition). For me it is a lot of fuzz out of nothing same as with the previous LGBT law. I have not heard about a single case of anyone put into jail because of this law. At the same time, there are millions of people behind the bars in Russia and a lot of them on a false pretense. The court system here is very corrupt - this is the issue. Let's wait for the first case of any transexual person denied a license: I am sure the news will be published worldwide the very next day.

The true Russian issues though seem to bother no one here. Like drugs in schools with a huge inflow coming from Afganistan, the inflow which intensified during the US presense there. Taliban was somehow tougher on heroin producers. Like Western sanctions which do nothing to shatter Putin's popularity - the Russians living on a verge of survival would still die for Stalin. These sanctions just make poor people poorer and shift the middle class winter tourism from the Alps to Sochi. The biggest issue is of course Ukraine. But it is too difficult and too emotional to be discussed here.

Custom Title
    Here is about the true issue in Russia: drugs from Afganistan

http://ru.journal-neo.org/2013/10/28...ma-narkotikov/

I translated a part - do the google for the rest if you like.

It is not a secret that during 12 years of the ISAF presence in Afganistan the country produced and exported more heroin than any other country in the world. Americans entered Afganistan in 2001 when there was the minimum production of opium material since 1992 – only 185 ton with the growth area of less than 30 000 acres. During the years of foreign invasion the production increased 40 times reaching an unprecedented level. 80% of worldwide opium poppy crops is now in Afganistan. The income of local drug lords exceeds $3 bln which is 10-15% of the country’s GDP. As a comparison, in Columbia at its peak cocaine production amounted only to 3% of GDP. Now the area of poppy fields in Afganistan exceeds the area for coca in Columbia, Peru, and Bolivia combined. About 20% of Afganistan drugs are consumed in Russia – the number of heroin addicts reached 1.6 – 1.8 million or 1.3% of the population. About 100,000 die annually because of drugs, 7 times more than the Soviet Union lost during 10 years of war in Afganistan. The questions of Russia to the U.S.A why they refuse to destroy the death bringing industry in the country they occupied was never answered.

Custom Title
    A milestone in the aftermath of the infamous law regarding LGBT propaganda to children in Russia. There is a court hearing in N.Tagil. A journalist created an internet community Children-404 for children with non-traditional sexual orientation. Now the court has to decide whether it contradicts the law when the adults cannot "form among the underage children the perception of the social equality of traditional and non-traditional sexual relationships". The court decision (I will follow) will be important to understand whether the issue is pressing. If they rule to close the community and fine the journalist (so far there are no indications of the criminal offense with a possible jail verdict) I will be quite sad about the priorities of our officials. If they leave Children-404 alone I will be even more sure of "the storm in a glass of water". A prominent Russian newspaper Vedomosti - circulation 75000, audience - businessmen and professionals, printed a half page article: "homofobia against children" on the trial. The title makes it clear that the issue is discussed not only in international boards.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by samkrut@mail.ru View Post
    yeah, yeah and the people with depression will have to hide that they have depression. Kleptomaniacs will have to supress the desire to steal from the doctor's office. And some will even have to pay bribes (when you just cannot hide your condition). For me it is a lot of fuzz out of nothing same as with the previous LGBT law. I have not heard about a single case of anyone put into jail because of this law. At the same time, there are millions of people behind the bars in Russia and a lot of them on a false pretense. The court system here is very corrupt - this is the issue. Let's wait for the first case of any transexual person denied a license: I am sure the news will be published worldwide the very next day.

The true Russian issues though seem to bother no one here. Like drugs in schools with a huge inflow coming from Afganistan, the inflow which intensified during the US presense there. Taliban was somehow tougher on heroin producers. Like Western sanctions which do nothing to shatter Putin's popularity - the Russians living on a verge of survival would still die for Stalin. These sanctions just make poor people poorer and shift the middle class winter tourism from the Alps to Sochi. The biggest issue is of course Ukraine. But it is too difficult and too emotional to be discussed here.
    Arrests have been made with the anti-LGBT law. Not to mention, more than incarceration, it develops a greater sense of hostility towards LGBT people. Most Russians are already homophobic as it is, and the government marginalizing LGBT people only fuels the discrimination and hate.

Custom Title
    An update. Children 404 work OK https://www.facebook.com/children.404. However, the founder was fined for 50000 rbls ($800) and has appealed to a higher court.

Putin today stated on TV that the people with both traditional and non-traditional sexual orientation should refrain from aggression. Then all the hype and all scandals will die down. He confirmed that every person has the right of choice which sexual life to follow and that is his/her own decision. He added that there is no criminal prosecution of LGBT people and assumed that the whole big outcry was artificially fabricated and there are some western countries with tougher anti-LGBT stance than Russia.

http://www.newkaliningrad.ru/news/br...shinstvam.html
    Last edited by samkrut@mail.ru; 02-08-2015 at 03:33 PM.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14