Just Back From the Philly SOI Show | Golden Skate

Just Back From the Philly SOI Show

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves in our on-ice seats at the SOI show in Philly tonight.
The show was very good this year, a lot of fun group numbers.
It was just so thrilling to have absolutely nothing in between us and the skaters, seeing every inch of their bodies.
I took a ton of pictures but don't know how well they turned out. I'll be uploading them to a site tomorrow and I'll share the link to it when I'm done.
Of all the skaters to come to our section at the end of the show to shake our hands---none other than my hubby's big crush, Jamie Sale! He's on cloud 9! When I shook her hand I said to her "Thank you so much" and she looked me right in the eye and said "Thank YOU", she was so sweet! We also shook Kristy Yamaguchi's hand.
My only complaint.....the show is over til next year, but what a show it was!
(Hope I've posted this on the right forum!---check back for a picture link sometime Saturday!)

heyang

Record Breaker
I saw the show in Trenton on Thursday night with 2 friends. We enjoyed the show a lot. Both of them had never been to SOI - only COI. So, they were really thrilled with all the in-between routines. My favorite was the ensemble number at the end of Act 1.

We had a little confusion. The program insert listed Oksana and Paul, but the cast inserts were for Kristi and Paul. Also, advertising was for Kristi and Paul. While Paul did appear during the 1st 1/2, we were wondering if we'd see Kristi or Oksana. Before I forget, Paul was wonderful. Enjoyed all 3 of his numbers. Then during the 2nd act, we saw Paul twice and we were starting to wonder if there would be another guest.

Finally, we hear a female voice speaking about changes and a new love, and there was Kristi. While her jumps weren't perfect and there was a slight hitch in her spiral, she looked great. My friends had no idea she had had a baby just 4 months ago. I think her costume was the best - the lighting made the spangles seem to move with her body. Wonderful effect as while she was spinning.

Next thing you know....it was over. Time really flew by.

I had on-ice seats last year - it was at the very end of the rink towards the backside of the rink. Renee Roca sat on the boards behind me to get ready for the opening of Studz. Unfortunately for me, the skaters don't really get back there; so I missed shaking Kurt Browning's hand by seconds before he had to go back for the final bow.

This year, I had 5th row just off center ice. I think I preferred these seats since I could really see across the whole ice surface.

Since I used a digital camera, I didn't get very many clear action stills, but I did take some video clips. Haven't had time to review them, yet.

Chele615

Rinkside
Sounds like you both had a great time!!! I can't wait to see the shows I'm making it to in the next couple of weeks!!! I'm so excited :)

UPDATE with review and pic link

Stars On Ice
Philadelphia, PA
February 20, 2004

Since November 2003 I was anxiously awaiting the show, as I do every year, but this year especially so because it's been a tough year for our family AND we were having our first ever, in ten years of going to the show, ON ICE SEATS! So the butterflies have been building for months!
As always, I was too excited to eat or sit still the day of the show.
Once at the Wachovia Center, my husband, Chip, and I went in and found our seats. I settled him in with his "sub", soda and pretzel then went off to meet some on-line friends from the Stars On Ice Message Forum.
I first met Norma and Kim. Then we spotted Gail. Later, Joann and her sister came along. We chatted and took photos for awhile until I felt I'd better head off to my seat before the show would start.
The music starts and as always it's so thrilling to feel the anticipation of that first skater and the first sounds of blades on the ice. It is hard for me to remember the order of skating and just exactly what everyone did. I was trying hard to get some decent photos and out of 113 taken, I managed to get a few really nice ones and a bunch of so-so ones. You can view them here:
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b34bcaf745b6
The show was excellent, as usual, tho I'm biased, I find it hard to do much criticism. I'm just thrilled and thankful to have a night out enjoying something with my hubby.
All the individual programs were skated pretty well, tho John Zimmerman did have a bit of a trip in his and Kyoko's "Look at Little Sister" program; Jenni and Todd didn't get one of their lifts up the way it should've been in some part of the show, but I forget where in the show!
Yuka Sato is pure silk on ice, she skated flawlessly and beautifully to "Misty". Kristi Yamaguchi performed one program to "Have You Ever Been in Love", and was just stunning, tho she only did double jumps....but she just had a baby a few months ago!
Jamie Sale & David Pelletier's "Ballroom" was a very fun number that showed off Jamie's flirtiness really well.
Elena Berezhnaya & Anton Sikharulidze skated both their programs very well.
It was also great to see Paul Wylie back on the ice...his first number, "Long Time" by Boston was fun and energetic, his "Hero" program is powerful and classic.
Todd's programs were excellent, he executed several jumps right in front of us. His spinning is amazing.
The "transition" group numbers done between the individual programs were THE MOST fun and entertaining numbers I can remember SOI doing. The guys skating with the brooms in "Work'n Time" was also a lot of fun and they seemed to be having a ball.
As always, I get near tears when the cast comes out for the finale. As the skaters went about the crowds to shake hands of the fans, my husband was lucky enough, and thrilled, to get to shake the hand of someone he has a great crush on, Jamie Sale. I also shook her hand and said to her "Thank you very much", she looked me in the eye and said "Oh, thank YOU". Chip and I also got to shake Kristi Yamaguchi's hand.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I love your photos

the "Kinda Blurry" pic on the first page... I believe it's I/Z... is my favorite... it's very sharp while still being blurred motion... very cool!

CB1AB2

Medalist
Boy I can't wait til next Sat. Feb. 28 = they come to Mass and my tickets are burning a hole in my pocket. Everyone has given such good reviews of this years show. Last year was the first year that I missed going to see SOI in 5 years because I broke my ankle on Christmas Eve. I did see it on TV and taped it but nothing like seeing it in person.

cb