What will it take for Yuna Not to Win OGM in Sochi | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What will it take for Yuna Not to Win OGM in Sochi

Ven

Match Penalty
Some of the comments that were made in this thread about injury etc. I don't think are very funny.

TheCzar

On the Ice
Lol but seriously?

If she misses a Lutz. She has missed either one or both in the past, and maybe if she falls. The judges love her, but if there will be politicking present (and there will be)- somehow I get the feeling that they may hammer her.

That said- though she rarely skates clean, she has skated perfectly when it counts, esp since Vancouver. Plus, the mistakes that she does normally do not count for much (leaving out 2Loops and popping 2As. She'll make up for it through components)

TheCzar

On the Ice
Some of the comments that were made in this thread about injury etc. I don't think are very funny.

Don't fret hun. It's all light hearted. Plus, it is true- it will take something serious to deter Kim from skating perfectly. :)

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
What will it take for Yuna Not to Win OGM in Sochi?

A combination of three highly unlikely events:

1) Instead of peaking at the Olympics, she skates like she did at Zagreb or Korean Nationals (I don't consider either of those performances worthy of the Olympic Podium, never mind gold, despite the lavish scores she received or the gushing praise from her hardcore fans), and

2) Somebody else not only has the skate of their lives, but they are also the subjects of Divine Intervention (for example, Asada skates everything clean and lands all 3 triple axels with +GOE), and

3) The judging is fair and consistent.

I don't think any of those is likely... but all three at once?! No, the gold SO belongs to Kim, it's boring.

:-D

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Food poisoning, a tonya harding type incident, two major errors, bad judging or some kind of tragedy are all ways Yuna can lose the gold. Heck even a bad wardrobe malfunction.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I do think in the hypothetical Yu Na and Mao both went totally clean and Mao went with her hardest projected program, it would still be a toss up to who would win, and come down to 2 points either way. Sadly I dont think Mao is even capable of going truly clean with her hardest planned layout (maybe when she was younger but not today) so in essense it really is Yu Na's to lose.

I do agree it is much different than 2010 where even had both gone clean Mao would have had no chance (but by contrast she was actual much more capable of doing clean in 2010 than she is now, although her current jump layout is even more insanely hard than 2010).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The most likely disaster would be that the airline lost her skates and luggage. This sort of thing seems to happen far too much the last couple years.

Krislite

Medalist
The most likely disaster would be that the airline lost her skates and luggage. This sort of thing seems to happen far too much the last couple years.

Yuna's skates go in her carry-on luggage. Now I don't know about her costumes, but I imagine they go in a carry-on, too. Besides, I'm pretty sure Korean Air will take special precautions with her luggage on her flight to Sochi. They would be crucified otherwise. :laugh:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes- but does Korean air have a direct flight to Sochi? Most carriers do not allow you to take skates as a carry-on, since 9/11.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Bad Sushi before Sochi? YuNa is not a lock, tho the leader. Julia, Gracie, Adelina, ? are hungry!

Kuan

Final Flight
Bad Sushi before Sochi? YuNa is not a lock, tho the leader. Julia, Gracie, Adelina, ? are hungry!

:laugh: This realy could happen. At last GPF in Sochi P.Chan complaind about the fish he got to eat. He got the runs and said this was the reason his skates were bad. Later on he said he was happy his pants stayed clean. So no fish for Patrick, Yuna and the other medal contenders. :p

Right, this girls are hungry for the titel. But may the best hunter gets the gold.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
According to TSA Guidelines they are allowed as carry-on
http://www.usspeedskating.org/sites/default/files/TSA Guidance for Skates.pdf

I guess there might be individual air lines that won't allow that, but it doesn't violate TSA rules.

But the TSA has jurisdiction only over flights departing the USA, right?

In any case, international flights seem to be a crap shoot.
Presumably any elite skater has the sense not to put her/his skates into checked baggage unless absolutely required to do so.

Anecdotally, a number of skaters have had problems with skates going missing in action in checked baggage.
Examples at the time of London Worlds: Ashley Wagner; the ice dancers from Belarus.
Wagner was flying from the U.S. to Canada.

IIRC, one of the Cannuscio sisters (Anastasia, if I'm not mistaken) recently had a problem with lost baggage -- including her skates -- when returning to the U.S. from an international competition.