What will it take for Yuna Not to Win OGM in Sochi | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What will it take for Yuna Not to Win OGM in Sochi

miki88

Medalist
I do think in the hypothetical Yu Na and Mao both went totally clean and Mao went with her hardest projected program, it would still be a toss up to who would win, and come down to 2 points either way. Sadly I dont think Mao is even capable of going truly clean with her hardest planned layout (maybe when she was younger but not today) so in essense it really is Yu Na's to lose.

I do agree it is much different than 2010 where even had both gone clean Mao would have had no chance (but by contrast she was actual much more capable of doing clean in 2010 than she is now, although her current jump layout is even more insanely hard than 2010).

It depends a lot on how the judging panel views the performances on that day. Sometimes a clean performance and the reactions from the audience can make a big difference.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Julia or Gracie get super clean and Yuna makes 1-2 mistakes. The possibility of Mao going clean is almost zero--she hasmany problems with her multiple jumps, unless judges are blind to all urs and 2 footed jumps.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes- but does Korean air have a direct flight to Sochi? Most carriers do not allow you to take skates as a carry-on, since 9/11.

Yu Na will probably arrive by her own private jet. Or by one provided by South Korea (or a sponsor). :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yu Na will probably arrive by her own private jet. Or by one provided by South Korea (or a sponsor). :)

I was wondering about that option for her before I read your post.
So for the purposes of this thread, she is fortunate that the possibility of lost skates will not be a concern for her.

But it has proven to be a real concern for other skaters who must take commercial flights to competitions.

Jo1

Rinkside
I'm in the minority here but I don't think Yuna is the best skater. IMHO I think Mao is much more graceful and presents a more beautiful package on the ice. Yes Yuna does 3-3s but in the musicality and grace depts. Mao has quite an edge.

RABID

Final Flight
I'm in the minority here but I don't think Yuna is the best skater. IMHO I think Mao is much more graceful and presents a more beautiful package on the ice. Yes Yuna does 3-3s but in the musicality and grace depts. Mao has quite an edge.

We're all entitled to our opinions but ... :laugh:

RABID

Final Flight
Like Yuna being Queen? :biggrin:

Or, that Mao's musicality and grace is not only better but far better than YuNa's. That is what was implied. I'm sorry, but that is laughable. But if you want to debate it, go ahead. I'm all ears. :)

Crystallize

On the Ice
Or, that Mao's musicality and grace is not only better but far better than YuNa's. That is what was implied. I'm sorry, but that is laughable. But if you want to debate it, go ahead. I'm all ears. :)

Well, personally, Mao's got the edge with better programs. And I'm not gonna debate my opinions. Musicality and grace are not factual anyway. It is your opinion that it is laughable, which is fine. Unlike you, I can live with other people's opinions. They don't affect me at all. Sorry if that bothered you. :laugh:

Sara

On the Ice
This has been discussed so many times already.. Some prefer Yuna, others Mao. Personally I admire both skaters and Mao has improved a lot since Vancouver, but I still prefer Yuna's graceful skating. To me it's not about her beautiful, huge jumps, it's about her musicality and artistry! But as I said, I really like both skaters, and I cannot even imagine what it will be like next season when they have retired...

Crystallize

On the Ice
This has been discussed so many times already.. Some prefer Yuna, others Mao. Personally I admire both skaters and Mao has improved a lot since Vancouver, but I still prefer Yuna's graceful skating. To me it's not about her beautiful, huge jumps, it's about her musicality and artistry! But as I said, I really like both skaters, and I cannot even imagine what it will be like next season when they have retired...

There will be a void, but it'll be filled, eventually... Life goes on, so does figure skating. That sounds completely depressing (lol), but it's not like we won't see them anymore. I'm sure they'll skate in shows and stuff. If only professional comps were still around. And you never know, one of them might stick around or even make an appearance for 2018.

minze

Medalist
Exactly. :thumbsup:

Some of the people on this forum have issues with opinions that don't align with theirs.

Agree. Some ubers take things to seriously and get so aggressive about people's opinion when is not necessary. Opinions=subjective

Ven

Match Penalty
Just a hunch, but Yuna will probably do an exhibition and/or light the torch at the opening ceremonies in Pyeongchang 2018.

If she wins OGM it would be cool to see her involved in the closing ceremonies in Sochi, when they do the traditional hand-off to Pyeongchang as well.