Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 221

Thread: Who will skate in the team event

  1. #1
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6

    Who will skate in the team event

    Who do you think the USFSA will choose to skate for the team event? And what do you think the best team would be?

    Gracie short. Ashley long
    Gracie-For both
    Ashley- for both
    Will Polina skate in the team event

    Jeremy or Jason

    Etc.

    My pick
    Polina - Short. Gracie-Long
    Jeremy-Short. Jason- Long

  2. #2
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,637
    I like your pick for the ladies! USFSA can easily say, look, we've simply sent our two top ladies to the team event. It's straight forward and it would give Polina added exposure, possibly helping her in the individual event. But it might be awkward to leave Ashley off the team, like they are hiding her or don't believe in her or something. And if she's not on the team and thus not in the headlines, will that make her more of an afterthought, heading into the individual event?

    Men, I don't know. Your pick would probably be wise, I suppose, based on nationals. But I hope Jason doesn't nail it at teams only to falter in the individual. I guess that's what gymnasts have to deal with every Olympics.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    What I would do:

    U.S:

    Pairs- Castelli & Shnapir both programs
    Women- Gold short, Wagner long
    Men- Abbott short, Brown long
    Dance- Davis & White both programs


    Canada- Moore-Towers & Moscovitch short, Duhamel & Radford long
    Men- Chan both programs
    Dance- Virtue & Moir short, Weaver & Poje long
    Ladies- Osmond both programs

    Russia- Voloszhar & Trankov both programs
    Men- Plushenko both programs
    Dance- Bobrova & Soloviev short, Illnyk & Katsalaopv long
    Ladies- Sotnikova short, Lipnitskaia long


    What I predict the coaches will do however:

    U.S:

    Pairs- Castelli & Shnapir short, Zhang & Bartholomay long
    Men- Abbott both programs
    Dance- Davis & White both programs
    Ladies- Wagner short, Gold long

    Canada:

    Pairs- Moore-Towers & Moscovitch short, Duhamel & Radford long
    Men- Chan short, Reynolds long
    Dance- Virtue & Moir both programs
    Ladies- Osmond both programs


    Russia:

    Pairs- Volosozhar & Trankov short, Stolbova & Klimov long
    Men- Plushenko both programs
    Dance- Bobrova & Soloviev both programs
    Ladies- Lipnitskaia both programs



    One thing I am completely sure on is Edmunds will NOT be used in anyway in the Team Event. They will either have Gold do both programs (quite possible), Wagner do both (very unlikely this happens after Nationals) or them split (most likely IMO and what I hope happens).

  4. #4
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,637
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    What I would do:
    One thing I am completely sure on is Edmunds will NOT be used in anyway in the Team Event. They will either have Gold do both programs (quite possible), Wagner do both (very unlikely this happens after Nationals) or them split (most likely IMO and what I hope happens).

    Why not, out of curiosity? Just because she is so new an untested? It's probably a good bet but it might also depend on how those three skaters are actually skating in the days leading up to the event. What if Edmunds is having much better practices than Ashley...

  5. #5
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,637
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    She wont be used since Wagner and Gold are considered as clearly the top 2 U.S skaters right now, despite Edmund's 2nd place finish at Nationals. Ashley has had by far the best international results of every U.S lady since fall 2010, and Gold is the new U.S Champion. They were 5th and 6th at Worlds. So Edmunds would not even be a consideration to be used. Furthermore she is likely to get hammered in PCS by international judges. Not a wise choice for the Team Event.

    If Ashley is having really bad practices in Sochi, they would just have Gold do both programs.
    Unless they decide that it would be too much for Gold and want to make sure she does well in the individuals. I mean, what do I know? nothing really but it'll be interesting to see how all the countries decide this. Scott Hamilton was discussing this in a recent interview with the NBC commentators, saying, what will Canada do with Patrick Chan, have him skate both programs or try to let him keep something in the tank?

    It's very interesting. Gymnasts have to do this every Olympics. They have to be perfect in the team event and if they make it to the all-around they have to go and do the same thing all over again a few days later! and then again for the event finals...

  6. #6
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Gracie said during the pre-Oly media summit that she'd like to split the team event with another lady (most likely Ashley) so that neither gets too tired before the individual competition, and that she'd prefer to do the FS now that she feels more confident about her ability to skate it well. As the reigning US champion, her input will probably carry some weight.

    Polina shouldn't be on the team event roster at all. She's too green and untested, and even with a good skate, her PCS will be significantly lower than the other two American ladies' -- probably in the mid- to high-50s, a la Zijun Li (though, IMO, Zijun is far superior in that aspect of skating). That's more of a point difference than her TES can make up for.

    What I think the team event should look like:

    Canada:
    Men - Chan for both programs
    Ladies - Osmond for both programs
    Dance - V/M for both programs
    Pairs - M-T/M short, D/R long

    Russia:
    Men - Plushenko for both programs
    Ladies - Sotnikova short, Lipnitskaia long
    Dance - I/K short, B/S long
    Pairs - V/T for both programs

    USA:
    Men - Abbott short, Brown long
    Ladies - Wagner short, Gold long
    Dance - D/W for both programs
    Pairs - C/S for both programs

  7. #7
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,670
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I agree but Michael Slipchuk has already said Virtue & Moir will skate both programs. Totally unfair IMO as W&P are completely capable of contributing and would save V&M some energy. He has also said Reynolds will skate a program which IMO is not at all a good idea.
    PTF, I think you know the following:
    • Each country is allowed substitutions in only two disciplines.
    • Pairs and men will compete for the individual medals in their disciplines before the ice dancers do.

    I don't think it is unreasonable for any country to make their allotted two substitutions in pairs and men -- if saving energy is a consideration.

    In the case of Canada:
    Its pairs have a shot at the podium for their discipline, and Chan will be competing for the men's gold.
    I don't think it is a matter of unfairness to Weaver/Poje.

  8. #8
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,637
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Gracie said during the pre-Oly media summit that she'd like to split the team event with another lady (most likely Ashley) so that neither gets too tired before the individual competition, and that she'd prefer to do the FS now that she feels more confident about her ability to skate it well. As the reigning US champion, her input will probably carry some weight.

    Polina shouldn't be on the team event roster at all. She's too green and untested, and even with a good skate, her PCS will be significantly lower than the other two American ladies' -- probably in the mid- to high-50s, a la Zijun Li (though, IMO, Zijun is far superior in that aspect of skating). That's more of a point difference than her TES can make up for.

    What I think the team event should look like:

    Canada:
    Men - Chan for both programs
    Ladies - Osmond for both programs
    Dance - V/M for both programs
    Pairs - M-T/M short, D/R long

    Russia:
    Men - Plushenko for both programs
    Ladies - Sotnikova short, Lipnitskaia long
    Dance - I/K short, B/S long
    Pairs - V/T for both programs

    USA:
    Men - Abbott short, Brown long
    Ladies - Wagner short, Gold long
    Dance - D/W for both programs
    Pairs - C/S for both programs
    Thanks! I had been wondering what the skaters themselves thought.

  9. #9
    Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,025
    This has got me so excited, I wish the federations would announced who is going to skate the Team Event, I won't be surprise if they don't do it til Feb 5th

  10. #10
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,670
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I agree but Michael Slipchuk has already said Virtue & Moir will skate both programs. Totally unfair IMO as W&P are completely capable of contributing and would save V&M some energy. He has also said Reynolds will skate a program which IMO is not at all a good idea.
    Another thought re the bright side for Weaver/Poje:
    If Virtue/Moir skate both the SD and FD for the team competition, W/P and Paul/Islam will be free to march in the Opening Ceremony. As first-time Olympians, W/P and P/I surely will cherish that experience.
    I'm sad that V/M will have to skip the Opening Ceremony in Sochi, but at least they already had the honor of marching in the Vancouver OC on home soil.

  11. #11
    Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Another thought re the bright side for Weaver/Poje:
    If Virtue/Moir skate both the SD and FD for the team competition, W/P and Paul/Islam will be free to march in the Opening Ceremony. As first-time Olympians, W/P and P/I surely will cherish that experience.
    I'm sad that V/M will have to skip the Opening Ceremony in Sochi, but at least they already had the honor of marching in the Vancouver OC on home soil.
    Why would they have to skip it? There are no events occurring during that day.

  12. #12
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,670
    Quote Originally Posted by enlight78 View Post
    Why would they have to skip it? There are no events occurring during that day.
    See this post in the Plushenko thread ... which has a link to a fuller discussion in another Olympic team event thread.

    The problem is not a schedule conflict per se.
    The problem is that the Opening Ceremony is physically draining -- in a big way -- for the athletes who march.

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,674
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    What I would do:

    U.S:

    Pairs- Castelli & Shnapir both programs
    Women- Gold short, Wagner long
    Men- Abbott short, Brown long
    Dance- Davis & White both programs


    Canada- Moore-Towers & Moscovitch short, Duhamel & Radford long
    Men- Chan both programs
    Dance- Virtue & Moir short, Weaver & Poje long
    Ladies- Osmond both programs

    Russia- Voloszhar & Trankov both programs
    Men- Plushenko both programs
    Dance- Bobrova & Soloviev short, Illnyk & Katsalaopv long
    Ladies- Sotnikova short, Lipnitskaia long


    What I predict the coaches will do however:

    U.S:

    Pairs- Castelli & Shnapir short, Zhang & Bartholomay long
    Men- Abbott both programs
    Dance- Davis & White both programs
    Ladies- Wagner short, Gold long

    Canada:

    Pairs- Moore-Towers & Moscovitch short, Duhamel & Radford long
    Men- Chan short, Reynolds long
    Dance- Virtue & Moir both programs
    Ladies- Osmond both programs


    Russia:

    Pairs- Volosozhar & Trankov short, Stolbova & Klimov long
    Men- Plushenko both programs
    Dance- Bobrova & Soloviev both programs
    Ladies- Lipnitskaia both programs



    One thing I am completely sure on is Edmunds will NOT be used in anyway in the Team Event. They will either have Gold do both programs (quite possible), Wagner do both (very unlikely this happens after Nationals) or them split (most likely IMO and what I hope happens).
    I really do not see the US using Polina for the team sorry to say. what if Jeremy, Polina and the pairs imploded and they didn`t somehow make the top 5 - this would be the hugest and most epic upset. But that could happen . though I think the States could win gold they are a very vulnerable team

  14. #14
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,496
    I wonder whether Abbott would even want to skate the L.p.? He is more reliable with the sp.
    If c&s do both pair programs, and d&w do both dance, the US can substitute in both men's and ladies.

    C&S have zero chance of a medal in the individual event so that might be the way to do it.

  15. #15
    Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiKike View Post
    Japan announced it's team roster:

    http://www.nikkansports.com/sochi201...1-1246921.html

    Yuzuru Hanyu (SP), Tatsuki Machida (FS)
    Mao Asada (SP), Akiko Suzuki (FS)
    Narumi Takahashi & Ryuichi Kihara (SP+FS)
    Cathy Reed & Chris Reed (SD+FD)

    Murakami's chances of olympic medal are gone. Dai needs to kill it at the individual event to get his second medal. If Japan pulls up to bronze the freaking Reeds will be olympic medallists, oh well.
    Wow, blows my mind, Never thought this would be their decision

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •