Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who will skate in the team event

Hybrid View

Rinkside

Who will skate in the team event

Who do you think the USFSA will choose to skate for the team event? And what do you think the best team would be?

Gracie short. Ashley long
    Gracie-For both
    Ashley- for both
    Will Polina skate in the team event

Jeremy or Jason

Etc.

My pick
    Polina - Short. Gracie-Long
    Jeremy-Short. Jason- Long

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    I like your pick for the ladies! USFSA can easily say, look, we've simply sent our two top ladies to the team event. It's straight forward and it would give Polina added exposure, possibly helping her in the individual event. But it might be awkward to leave Ashley off the team, like they are hiding her or don't believe in her or something. And if she's not on the team and thus not in the headlines, will that make her more of an afterthought, heading into the individual event?

Men, I don't know. Your pick would probably be wise, I suppose, based on nationals. But I hope Jason doesn't nail it at teams only to falter in the individual. I guess that's what gymnasts have to deal with every Olympics.

Banned
    What I would do:

U.S:

Pairs- Castelli & Shnapir both programs
    Women- Gold short, Wagner long
    Men- Abbott short, Brown long
    Dance- Davis & White both programs

Canada- Moore-Towers & Moscovitch short, Duhamel & Radford long
    Men- Chan both programs
    Dance- Virtue & Moir short, Weaver & Poje long
    Ladies- Osmond both programs

Russia- Voloszhar & Trankov both programs
    Men- Plushenko both programs
    Dance- Bobrova & Soloviev short, Illnyk & Katsalaopv long
    Ladies- Sotnikova short, Lipnitskaia long

What I predict the coaches will do however:

U.S:

Pairs- Castelli & Shnapir short, Zhang & Bartholomay long
    Men- Abbott both programs
    Ladies- Wagner short, Gold long

Canada:

Pairs- Moore-Towers & Moscovitch short, Duhamel & Radford long
    Men- Chan short, Reynolds long
    Dance- Virtue & Moir both programs

Russia:

Pairs- Volosozhar & Trankov short, Stolbova & Klimov long
    Dance- Bobrova & Soloviev both programs
    Ladies- Lipnitskaia both programs

One thing I am completely sure on is Edmunds will NOT be used in anyway in the Team Event. They will either have Gold do both programs (quite possible), Wagner do both (very unlikely this happens after Nationals) or them split (most likely IMO and what I hope happens).

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    What I would do:
    One thing I am completely sure on is Edmunds will NOT be used in anyway in the Team Event. They will either have Gold do both programs (quite possible), Wagner do both (very unlikely this happens after Nationals) or them split (most likely IMO and what I hope happens).

Why not, out of curiosity? Just because she is so new an untested? It's probably a good bet but it might also depend on how those three skaters are actually skating in the days leading up to the event. What if Edmunds is having much better practices than Ashley...

She wont be used since Wagner and Gold are considered as clearly the top 2 U.S skaters right now, despite Edmund's 2nd place finish at Nationals. Ashley has had by far the best international results of every U.S lady since fall 2010, and Gold is the new U.S Champion. They were 5th and 6th at Worlds. So Edmunds would not even be a consideration to be used. Furthermore she is likely to get hammered in PCS by international judges. Not a wise choice for the Team Event.

If Ashley is having really bad practices in Sochi, they would just have Gold do both programs.
    Unless they decide that it would be too much for Gold and want to make sure she does well in the individuals. I mean, what do I know? nothing really but it'll be interesting to see how all the countries decide this. Scott Hamilton was discussing this in a recent interview with the NBC commentators, saying, what will Canada do with Patrick Chan, have him skate both programs or try to let him keep something in the tank?

It's very interesting. Gymnasts have to do this every Olympics. They have to be perfect in the team event and if they make it to the all-around they have to go and do the same thing all over again a few days later! and then again for the event finals...

Miserere Nobis
    Gracie said during the pre-Oly media summit that she'd like to split the team event with another lady (most likely Ashley) so that neither gets too tired before the individual competition, and that she'd prefer to do the FS now that she feels more confident about her ability to skate it well. As the reigning US champion, her input will probably carry some weight.

Polina shouldn't be on the team event roster at all. She's too green and untested, and even with a good skate, her PCS will be significantly lower than the other two American ladies' -- probably in the mid- to high-50s, a la Zijun Li (though, IMO, Zijun is far superior in that aspect of skating). That's more of a point difference than her TES can make up for.

What I think the team event should look like:

Canada:
    Men - Chan for both programs
    Ladies - Osmond for both programs
    Dance - V/M for both programs
    Pairs - M-T/M short, D/R long

Russia:
    Men - Plushenko for both programs
    Ladies - Sotnikova short, Lipnitskaia long
    Dance - I/K short, B/S long
    Pairs - V/T for both programs

USA:
    Men - Abbott short, Brown long
    Ladies - Wagner short, Gold long
    Dance - D/W for both programs
    Pairs - C/S for both programs

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    It's very interesting. Gymnasts have to do this every Olympics. They have to be perfect in the team event and if they make it to the all-around they have to go and do the same thing all over again a few days later! and then again for the event finals...
    but the team event they aren't all doing the different parts IIRC... there are more "disiplines" but some only do the team event and don't do the individual.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    I agree but Michael Slipchuk has already said Virtue & Moir will skate both programs. Totally unfair IMO as W&P are completely capable of contributing and would save V&M some energy. He has also said Reynolds will skate a program which IMO is not at all a good idea.
    PTF, I think you know the following:
    • Each country is allowed substitutions in only two disciplines.
    • Pairs and men will compete for the individual medals in their disciplines before the ice dancers do.

I don't think it is unreasonable for any country to make their allotted two substitutions in pairs and men -- if saving energy is a consideration.

In the case of Canada:
    Its pairs have a shot at the podium for their discipline, and Chan will be competing for the men's gold.
    I don't think it is a matter of unfairness to Weaver/Poje.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    I agree but Michael Slipchuk has already said Virtue & Moir will skate both programs. Totally unfair IMO as W&P are completely capable of contributing and would save V&M some energy. He has also said Reynolds will skate a program which IMO is not at all a good idea.
    Another thought re the bright side for Weaver/Poje:
    If Virtue/Moir skate both the SD and FD for the team competition, W/P and Paul/Islam will be free to march in the Opening Ceremony. As first-time Olympians, W/P and P/I surely will cherish that experience.
    I'm sad that V/M will have to skip the Opening Ceremony in Sochi, but at least they already had the honor of marching in the Vancouver OC on home soil.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Another thought re the bright side for Weaver/Poje:
    If Virtue/Moir skate both the SD and FD for the team competition, W/P and Paul/Islam will be free to march in the Opening Ceremony. As first-time Olympians, W/P and P/I surely will cherish that experience.
    I'm sad that V/M will have to skip the Opening Ceremony in Sochi, but at least they already had the honor of marching in the Vancouver OC on home soil.
    Why would they have to skip it? There are no events occurring during that day.

Custom Title
    Really? I don't think having Reynolds skate a program is wise because even a Chan with errors is worth more than a REynolcs especially a Reynolds who hasn't practiced much. One would think Chan would do the short because the worst Reynolds can be fifth but if he gets to skate he is one lucky person otherwise he wouldn't be near a medal. But he could be the reason Canada doesn'te get gold or silver.

Banned
    Actually now that I think about it more having Reynolds switch with Chan might more sense than W&P. The teams in the final could easily end up being Canada, U.S, France, Russia, Italy. W&P could even end up coming last in the FD of that group, while V&M could end up 1st. At worst V&M would be 2nd, and W&P probably would be 4th. If those are the countries that make the final Reynolds could potentially win if he has a great performance, and probably would be no lower than 4th. Probably the difference in V&M and W&P would be 2-4 points and Chan vs Reynolds more like 1-3. Ironically if Japan made the final round though Chan could potentially lose to the Japanese skater, just as Reynolds could potentially beat him (especialy if it isnt Hanyu). Obviously Chan can lose to Hanyu, Takahashi, or even Machida, and has before (not Machida yet), while Reynolds beat Hanyu and Takahashi in Japan last year to win 4CCs, albeit it would be far more unlikely for him to beat Hanyu now even on a bad day. So it would even make more sense to have the switch as opposed to V&M vs W&P. W&P are likely to place higher in the individual competition than Reynolds probably at this point, but in a team format Reynolds might make more sense to use than W&P.

Custom Title
    What I would do:

U.S:

Pairs- Castelli & Shnapir both programs
    Women- Gold short, Wagner long
    Men- Abbott short, Brown long

Canada- Moore-Towers & Moscovitch short, Duhamel & Radford long
    Men- Chan both programs
    Dance- Virtue & Moir short, Weaver & Poje long

Russia- Voloszhar & Trankov both programs
    Dance- Bobrova & Soloviev short, Illnyk & Katsalaopv long
    Ladies- Sotnikova short, Lipnitskaia long

What I predict the coaches will do however:

U.S:

Pairs- Castelli & Shnapir short, Zhang & Bartholomay long
    Men- Abbott both programs
    Ladies- Wagner short, Gold long

Canada:

Pairs- Moore-Towers & Moscovitch short, Duhamel & Radford long
    Men- Chan short, Reynolds long
    Dance- Virtue & Moir both programs

Russia:

Pairs- Volosozhar & Trankov short, Stolbova & Klimov long
    Dance- Bobrova & Soloviev both programs
    Ladies- Lipnitskaia both programs

I really do not see the US using Polina for the team sorry to say. what if Jeremy, Polina and the pairs imploded and they didn`t somehow make the top 5 - this would be the hugest and most epic upset. But that could happen . though I think the States could win gold they are a very vulnerable team

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I really do not see the US using Polina for the team sorry to say. what if Jeremy, Polina and the pairs imploded and they didn`t somehow make the top 5 - this would be the hugest and most epic upset. But that could happen . though I think the States could win gold they are a very vulnerable team
    Skating in the team SP will certainly be a lot of pressure. At this point though, it's unclear to me who could handle it better, Polina or Ashley? Polina didn't impode at nationals. Ashley did. Both of them are capable of being fierce competitors in my eyes, they just need to tap into it.

Custom Title

Team figure skating lineups shrouded in secrecy

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle16394377/

Quote Originally Posted by Globe and Mail
    But there is much secrecy surrounding the new event, which begins one day before the opening ceremony. Because it’s never been done before, countries are watching each other closely – and suspiciously – to discern the strategies other teams may use, and which skaters will be called upon to skate certain events.

Canadian officials refuse to discuss where key skaters – such as Patrick Chan – will be employed, concerned that it could tip off rival countries such as Russia, the United States and Japan.

“We’ve come up with our scenarios of what we want to do,” said Michael Slipchuk, high-performance director for Skate Canada, noting that he’ll probably wait until the Feb. 5 deadline to disclose his roster. “We’re starting to get some ideas trickling through of what other countries are doing, just kind of by slip of the mouth.”

[...]

Then there is the worry of tiring out your best skaters. As a contender for gold in the men’s individual event, Chan would give Canada a huge advantage if he skated both the short and long programs in the team competition. But Canadian officials have to worry about wearing out Chan for his individual events, which happen about five days later.

“It’s hard to say what will happen,” Chan said about the strategizing. “Because it’s a huge unknown, nobody has any previous experience. We’re kind of the pioneers. So that’s the hard part, we’re going to be taking a bit of a leap of faith.”

Even though he faces huge pressure to deliver in his individual event, Chan said the thought of not competing in the team skate never crossed his mind.

[...]

There have been rumblings that skaters from some countries may avoid the team event to focus on their individual medal chases. However, Canada is a united front. If any skater tried to opt out of the team push for a medal, “they’re going to get a stern talking to,” said Scott Moir, one half of the defending gold medal ice dance team with Tessa Virtue. “For us, multiple medals at an Olympics doesn’t exist. So to have that opportunity, we’re incredibly grateful.”

Virtue said she isn’t fazed about doubling her Olympic workload. “I think it’s all about preparedness,” Virtue said. “We do harder things in training than we’ll ever do in competition, so by the time we get to Sochi, the competition days are the easy days.”

Top-ranked Canada is icing one of the deepest squads in the world, with talent in every discipline. In addition to Chan, Virtue and Moir, Canada is a medal contender in pairs with Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford. Even in the women’s individual event, where 18-year-old Kaetlyn Osmond is aiming for a top-eight finish at her first Olympics, her ability to produce bonanza scores will be an advantage in the team competition. Osmond hopes the team event will help settle her before her individual programs.

Contrary to what was previously rumored, there is no definite lineup or roster set for Canada yet. Anything that is out there right now is merely speculation. Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir have always had this very competitive spirit - they never shy away from competing and it's plainly evident in what they said. In fact, anyone who even thinks about shying away would likely face the wrath of Scott Moir who is the captain for Team Canada in Figure Skating. They have a chance to make history by becoming the first Ice Dance couple to win 3 times Olympic Gold medal in Figure Skating, therefore, it's plainly evident they will give their 110%.

As for Kaetlyn Osmond, this is a great opportunity for her to compete at her first Olympic Games surrounded and supported by her decorated team mates who are among the favorites of their individual disciplines. She can draw on their strengths, making this event a little less stressful and just go out and do her best. Most of these girls who will be competing, including Mao Asada, Akiko Suzuki, Gracie Gold, Adelina Sotnikova and others, she has already best them one way or the other before. If the Team Events goes well, it will boost her own standings for her individual event in the eyes of the judges. There is no better introduction to the Olympics and the whole world for her than this Team Event.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast