Who will skate in the team event | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Who will skate in the team event

noskates

Record Breaker
I really don't want to go back through 9 pages of posts but - does anybody know how we'll actually find out from the USFSA who is skating in the team eventsd? Where will it be posted here?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I really don't want to go back through 9 pages of posts but - does anybody know how we'll actually find out from the USFSA who is skating in the team eventsd? Where will it be posted here?

In exactly 5 hours and 2 minutes. 10 a.m. Wednesday Sochi time, 1 a.m. Wednesday EST, 10 p.m. Tuesday PST (i.e. my time).

noskates

Record Breaker
Thanks Mrs.P - it would appear you and I are in the same time zone! ;) But how will we find out the information?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks Mrs.P - it would appear you and I are in the same time zone! ;) But how will we find out the information?

Something will likely be tweeted by us figure skating or media. I have my social media threads ready!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Something will likely be tweeted by us figure skating or media. I have my social media threads ready!

And we're still waiting on Skate Canada's official announcement too, right?

I hope we will find out who all the team captains will be as well.

kresslia

Medalist
I'll predict for Canada:

Women: Kaetlyn Osmond
Ice Dance: Virtue/Moir
Pairs: Duhamel/Radford, Moore-Towers/Moscovitch
Men: Patrick Chan, Kevin Reynolds

I'd be surprised if it was any different from this.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
U.S. Figure Skating
‏@USFigureSkating
In the team event tomorrow, @jeremyabbottpcf will skate in men's and @MarissaCastelli and @SimonShnapir will skate in pairs. #Sochi2014

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
U.S. Figure Skating
‏@USFigureSkating
We will announce the ladies short program and short dance on Feb. 7 at 10 a.m. for the team event.

U.S. Figure Skating ‏
@USFigureSkating
The announcement of @jeremyabbottpcf and @MarissaCastelli and @SimonShnapir are for the team event short programs only.

Oh they're piecemealing this. GROAN.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
I'm thinking really rude things in my head at USFSA right now. :p I thought they said they were announcing the whole thing tonight! Darn you! Lol

kresslia

Medalist
BREAKING: http://ow.ly/tibPQ <- @PChiddy, @mhjd_85 & @Rad85E will start team event. #TeamCanada #WeAreWinter pic.twitter.com/1JRmPue5dm

Canada also revealing minimal information. No surprises.

Elaine

On the Ice
BREAKING: http://ow.ly/tibPQ <- @PChiddy, @mhjd_85 & @Rad85E will start team event. #TeamCanada #WeAreWinter pic.twitter.com/1JRmPue5dm

Canada also revealing minimal information. No surprises.

And Scott is the captain of team Canada with Tessa as an assistant captain. ;) What role does the captian play?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Per USFS, its future team entries will be confirmed as follows:
~ Short program/dance - ladies and ice dance - 10:00 a.m., Friday, Feb. 7
~ Free skate - pairs - 9:40 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 8
~ Free skate/dance - ladies, men's, ice dance - 10 a.m., Sunday, Feb. 9

Not surprisingly those dates/times (ETA: in local Sochi time) coincide with ISU "nomination by name of the skaters" deadlines for those programs, per ISU Communication No. 1844.

And Scott is the captain of team Canada with Tessa as an assistant captain. ;) What role does the captian play?

At WTT, one of the duties of the captain was to represent the team in press conferences (one presser after all the SPs + SD, I think; another after all the FSs + FD).

And at the medal ceremony, I think the team captains (as reps for the entire team) received medals first ... although all team members then received medals.

Love Moir/Virtue as captain and assistant captain ... the only better choices would be to have the order reversed, LOL.

I remember when Charlie White was WTT captain for Team USA, he was trying to dream up cheers and other morale-boosting stuff such to keep team spirit high.

ETA, the complete list of 2014 Olympic Team Captains and what the ISU calls "Assistance [sic] Team Captains" (every country has one of each):

It's a requirement for all countries to submit entries the day before ... i'm guessing by 10am sochi time

Yes, 10:00 am Sochi time was the deadline.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
i don't think team captain has any actual responsibilities, they're mostly just there so officials have a go-to person to talk to if they have to. i guess for morale purposes too (so no muttering under your breath that you hate this event this time, scott)

"assistant team captain", lol team canada is cute

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh please, USFSA, don't rob Jason of an Olympic medal...

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Random, but I have a gripe with people who think that Ashley should be given the long in the team event because she needs to get her new program out there. Why on earth should that be any of USFSA's concern? It's not their problem that Ashley couldn't make her old program work and had to do a very risky last-minute change. They will put up whatever skaters will do BEST in each segment, not what makes them most comfortable or gives them the most experience. If anything, I could see them prohibiting Gracie from giving up the long in the team program BECAUSE they don't want Ashley putting a completely unknown program out there when the team medal is on the line. What she does for her own individual success is her own business, but how she skates for the team is everyone's business and putting a brand new program out there could potentially be devastating for a lot of people if she can't pull it off.

I love Ashley, but it makes no sense whatsoever.

Agreed.

I hope reports are true that Jason will be doing 'Riverdance' twice at these Olympic Games! What a treat! Jason is a Rock Star. :rock:

I'm glad that it seems Ashley and Jeremy will skate the SP - both have strong SPs when they hit. Both, for different reasons, have been shaky in the LP at some big events. Same with Gracie but she doesn't have some re-worked untried LP that she'll be skating before the Olympic judges in the team portion - Ashley would. I think Gold was the safer bet there. I LOVE that Jason will skate the LP for the men - imo he's less likely to implode in that portion than Jeremy. In the singles events, oh well, but at least in the team events poor performances won't affect teammate's chances for a medal.

Would not surprise me if some Team USA skaters return to Germany during the Games to continue training there while they await their individual disciplines.

(As I have said elsewhere, USFS originally was planning to use Graz for this purpose -- but at this point, I would say that Germany is looking more probable as the location.)

Due to the very real terrorists threats in Russia, the U.S. State Department advised it's athletes not to venture out of the Olympic village but if they did, they are advised not to wear 'USA' clothing. I think it wouldn't be wise for skaters to be in Germany or elsewhere while the Games are going on. It's a safety issue. Jmo.

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/20...mp-lipnitskaia-for-figure-skating-team-event/

Russia

Julia short and long
Plushenko short and long
Maxim and T short Ksenia and F long
B/S short I/K long

WOW! No Adelina? She tends to score higher than Julia in the SP. Interesting.