Who will skate in the team event | Golden Skate

Who will skate in the team event

Skatingfan1

Rinkside
Who do you think the USFSA will choose to skate for the team event? And what do you think the best team would be?

Gracie short. Ashley long
Gracie-For both
Ashley- for both
Will Polina skate in the team event

Jeremy or Jason

Etc.

My pick
Polina - Short. Gracie-Long
Jeremy-Short. Jason- Long

Layfan

Record Breaker
I like your pick for the ladies! USFSA can easily say, look, we've simply sent our two top ladies to the team event. It's straight forward and it would give Polina added exposure, possibly helping her in the individual event. But it might be awkward to leave Ashley off the team, like they are hiding her or don't believe in her or something. And if she's not on the team and thus not in the headlines, will that make her more of an afterthought, heading into the individual event?

Men, I don't know. Your pick would probably be wise, I suppose, based on nationals. But I hope Jason doesn't nail it at teams only to falter in the individual. I guess that's what gymnasts have to deal with every Olympics.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
What I would do:

U.S:

Pairs- Castelli & Shnapir both programs
Women- Gold short, Wagner long
Men- Abbott short, Brown long
Dance- Davis & White both programs

Canada- Moore-Towers & Moscovitch short, Duhamel & Radford long
Men- Chan both programs
Dance- Virtue & Moir short, Weaver & Poje long
Ladies- Osmond both programs

Russia- Voloszhar & Trankov both programs
Men- Plushenko both programs
Dance- Bobrova & Soloviev short, Illnyk & Katsalaopv long
Ladies- Sotnikova short, Lipnitskaia long

What I predict the coaches will do however:

U.S:

Pairs- Castelli & Shnapir short, Zhang & Bartholomay long
Men- Abbott both programs
Ladies- Wagner short, Gold long

Canada:

Pairs- Moore-Towers & Moscovitch short, Duhamel & Radford long
Men- Chan short, Reynolds long
Dance- Virtue & Moir both programs

Russia:

Pairs- Volosozhar & Trankov short, Stolbova & Klimov long
Dance- Bobrova & Soloviev both programs
Ladies- Lipnitskaia both programs

One thing I am completely sure on is Edmunds will NOT be used in anyway in the Team Event. They will either have Gold do both programs (quite possible), Wagner do both (very unlikely this happens after Nationals) or them split (most likely IMO and what I hope happens).

Layfan

Record Breaker
What I would do:
One thing I am completely sure on is Edmunds will NOT be used in anyway in the Team Event. They will either have Gold do both programs (quite possible), Wagner do both (very unlikely this happens after Nationals) or them split (most likely IMO and what I hope happens).

Why not, out of curiosity? Just because she is so new an untested? It's probably a good bet but it might also depend on how those three skaters are actually skating in the days leading up to the event. What if Edmunds is having much better practices than Ashley...

Layfan

Record Breaker
She wont be used since Wagner and Gold are considered as clearly the top 2 U.S skaters right now, despite Edmund's 2nd place finish at Nationals. Ashley has had by far the best international results of every U.S lady since fall 2010, and Gold is the new U.S Champion. They were 5th and 6th at Worlds. So Edmunds would not even be a consideration to be used. Furthermore she is likely to get hammered in PCS by international judges. Not a wise choice for the Team Event.

If Ashley is having really bad practices in Sochi, they would just have Gold do both programs.

Unless they decide that it would be too much for Gold and want to make sure she does well in the individuals. I mean, what do I know? nothing really but it'll be interesting to see how all the countries decide this. Scott Hamilton was discussing this in a recent interview with the NBC commentators, saying, what will Canada do with Patrick Chan, have him skate both programs or try to let him keep something in the tank?

It's very interesting. Gymnasts have to do this every Olympics. They have to be perfect in the team event and if they make it to the all-around they have to go and do the same thing all over again a few days later! and then again for the event finals...

ForeverFish

Medalist
Gracie said during the pre-Oly media summit that she'd like to split the team event with another lady (most likely Ashley) so that neither gets too tired before the individual competition, and that she'd prefer to do the FS now that she feels more confident about her ability to skate it well. As the reigning US champion, her input will probably carry some weight.

Polina shouldn't be on the team event roster at all. She's too green and untested, and even with a good skate, her PCS will be significantly lower than the other two American ladies' -- probably in the mid- to high-50s, a la Zijun Li (though, IMO, Zijun is far superior in that aspect of skating). That's more of a point difference than her TES can make up for.

What I think the team event should look like:

Canada:
Men - Chan for both programs
Ladies - Osmond for both programs
Dance - V/M for both programs
Pairs - M-T/M short, D/R long

Russia:
Men - Plushenko for both programs
Ladies - Sotnikova short, Lipnitskaia long
Dance - I/K short, B/S long
Pairs - V/T for both programs

USA:
Men - Abbott short, Brown long
Ladies - Wagner short, Gold long
Dance - D/W for both programs
Pairs - C/S for both programs

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I agree but Michael Slipchuk has already said Virtue & Moir will skate both programs. Totally unfair IMO as W&P are completely capable of contributing and would save V&M some energy. He has also said Reynolds will skate a program which IMO is not at all a good idea.

PTF, I think you know the following:
  • Each country is allowed substitutions in only two disciplines.
  • Pairs and men will compete for the individual medals in their disciplines before the ice dancers do.
I don't think it is unreasonable for any country to make their allotted two substitutions in pairs and men -- if saving energy is a consideration.

In the case of Canada:
Its pairs have a shot at the podium for their discipline, and Chan will be competing for the men's gold.
I don't think it is a matter of unfairness to Weaver/Poje.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Gracie said during the pre-Oly media summit that she'd like to split the team event with another lady (most likely Ashley) so that neither gets too tired before the individual competition, and that she'd prefer to do the FS now that she feels more confident about her ability to skate it well. As the reigning US champion, her input will probably carry some weight.

Polina shouldn't be on the team event roster at all. She's too green and untested, and even with a good skate, her PCS will be significantly lower than the other two American ladies' -- probably in the mid- to high-50s, a la Zijun Li (though, IMO, Zijun is far superior in that aspect of skating). That's more of a point difference than her TES can make up for.

What I think the team event should look like:

Canada:
Men - Chan for both programs
Ladies - Osmond for both programs
Dance - V/M for both programs
Pairs - M-T/M short, D/R long

Russia:
Men - Plushenko for both programs
Ladies - Sotnikova short, Lipnitskaia long
Dance - I/K short, B/S long
Pairs - V/T for both programs

USA:
Men - Abbott short, Brown long
Ladies - Wagner short, Gold long
Dance - D/W for both programs
Pairs - C/S for both programs

Thanks! I had been wondering what the skaters themselves thought.

enlight78

Medalist
This has got me so excited, I wish the federations would announced who is going to skate the Team Event, I won't be surprise if they don't do it til Feb 5th

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I agree but Michael Slipchuk has already said Virtue & Moir will skate both programs. Totally unfair IMO as W&P are completely capable of contributing and would save V&M some energy. He has also said Reynolds will skate a program which IMO is not at all a good idea.

Another thought re the bright side for Weaver/Poje:
If Virtue/Moir skate both the SD and FD for the team competition, W/P and Paul/Islam will be free to march in the Opening Ceremony. As first-time Olympians, W/P and P/I surely will cherish that experience.
I'm sad that V/M will have to skip the Opening Ceremony in Sochi, but at least they already had the honor of marching in the Vancouver OC on home soil.

enlight78

Medalist
Another thought re the bright side for Weaver/Poje:
If Virtue/Moir skate both the SD and FD for the team competition, W/P and Paul/Islam will be free to march in the Opening Ceremony. As first-time Olympians, W/P and P/I surely will cherish that experience.
I'm sad that V/M will have to skip the Opening Ceremony in Sochi, but at least they already had the honor of marching in the Vancouver OC on home soil.

Why would they have to skip it? There are no events occurring during that day.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What I would do:

U.S:

Pairs- Castelli & Shnapir both programs
Women- Gold short, Wagner long
Men- Abbott short, Brown long

Canada- Moore-Towers & Moscovitch short, Duhamel & Radford long
Men- Chan both programs
Dance- Virtue & Moir short, Weaver & Poje long

Russia- Voloszhar & Trankov both programs
Dance- Bobrova & Soloviev short, Illnyk & Katsalaopv long
Ladies- Sotnikova short, Lipnitskaia long

What I predict the coaches will do however:

U.S:

Pairs- Castelli & Shnapir short, Zhang & Bartholomay long
Men- Abbott both programs
Ladies- Wagner short, Gold long

Canada:

Pairs- Moore-Towers & Moscovitch short, Duhamel & Radford long
Men- Chan short, Reynolds long
Dance- Virtue & Moir both programs

Russia:

Pairs- Volosozhar & Trankov short, Stolbova & Klimov long
Dance- Bobrova & Soloviev both programs
Ladies- Lipnitskaia both programs

I really do not see the US using Polina for the team sorry to say. what if Jeremy, Polina and the pairs imploded and they didn`t somehow make the top 5 - this would be the hugest and most epic upset. But that could happen . though I think the States could win gold they are a very vulnerable team

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I wonder whether Abbott would even want to skate the L.p.? He is more reliable with the sp.
If c&s do both pair programs, and d&w do both dance, the US can substitute in both men's and ladies.

C&S have zero chance of a medal in the individual event so that might be the way to do it.

enlight78

Medalist
Japan announced it's team roster:

http://www.nikkansports.com/sochi2014/figureskate/news/p-sochi-tp0-20140121-1246921.html

Yuzuru Hanyu (SP), Tatsuki Machida (FS)
Mao Asada (SP), Akiko Suzuki (FS)
Narumi Takahashi & Ryuichi Kihara (SP+FS)
Cathy Reed & Chris Reed (SD+FD)

Murakami's chances of olympic medal are gone. Dai needs to kill it at the individual event to get his second medal. If Japan pulls up to bronze the freaking Reeds will be olympic medallists, oh well.

Wow, blows my mind, Never thought this would be their decision

enlight78

Medalist
This is from BBC Sport http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/winter-olympics/25306073

National champion Matthew Parr (pictured above) has been chosen by governing body the National Ice Skating Association and the British Olympic Association.

The other GB skaters, who all earned individual qualification alongside a place in the team event, are Penny Coomes and Nick Buckland (ice dance), Stacey Kemp and David King (pairs) and Jenna McCorkell in the women's event.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I should know this... but I'm not certain.

Do the placement points for the short carry over to the long, or is the short a "semi-final" round, and the medals are determined by LP only?

I think they carry over...

caitie

Medalist
Hmm, I thought Abbott was more comfortable with his LP? It's the one he's reusing. Whereas Jason might feel most comfortable with his SP, which he is also reusing. And he's skated that phenomenally at every competition.

Anyway, DW are definitely skating both programs. Madison Chock gave that away in the Chock/Bates teleconference where she said she was excited to WATCH the team event, before cutting herself off, exchanging words with someone on the line and then saying she was so excited for the team event and 2013's WTT was their proudest moment.

I think Wagner and Gold should do SP and LP respectively, especially since Wagner is changing her LP and Gracie is saying she prefers to skate her LP.

I think C/S should skate both programs. They have an excellent chance of winning a medal in the team event but no shot at a medal in the individual event so why not. I think if we only have one split/sub left over after splitting the ladies I'd prefer t to be used on the men since Jeremy is so unpredictable.

I think what I would do if I were USFSA would be to slot in Wagner, Abbott, CS, and DW for SPs, with the understanding that Gracie will skate the LP. Then if Jeremy skates well, slot him in for his seasoned LP as well and give CS a break. If I had unlimited subs, though, I'd have Jason do the short.

enlight78

Medalist
I should know this... but I'm not certain.

Do the placement points for the short carry over to the long, or is the short a "semi-final" round, and the medals are determined by LP only?

I think they carry over...

They do carry over