Who will skate in the team event | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Who will skate in the team event

gmyers

Record Breaker
If Russia doesn't win gold they don't want all be blame to go on their selection of plushenko but rather have it divided between plushenko and I/k. I/k is actually more likely to do poorer than plushenko so if both are weak which is probable their decision on plushenko can't solely be blamed.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
i thought v/t would do long...

the russia/canada matchup is more interesting without pchiddy and v/t skating the long - reynolds and s/k are significantly weaker

samson

Medalist
^I agree.

It also makes me think that depending on how healthy plushy is, and which Kevin shows up in the long, we could have the US man pull ahead of both countries in that discipline. Either way a top 2 or 3 finish in the mens portion would be much more plausible in this scenario.

I CANNOT WAIT FOR TOMORROW!!!! FIGURE SKATING BEGINS IN 28.5 HOURS!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAH!

LRK

Record Breaker

enlight78

Medalist
Some official start orders so far.

Men's Short Program

1 GBR Matthew PARR
2 ITA Paul Bonifacio PARKINSON
3 UKR Yakov GODOROZHA
4 RUS Evgeny PLYUSHCHENKO
5 USA Jeremy ABBOTT
6 GER Peter LIEBERS
7 CHN Han YAN
8 FRA Florent AMODIO
9 CAN Patrick CHAN
10 JPN Yuzuru HANYU

Pair's Short Program

1 JPN Narumi TAKAHASHI / Ryuichi KIHARA
2 GBR Stacey KEMP / David KING
3 UKR Julia LAVRENTIEVA / Yuri RUDYK
4 GER Maylin WENDE / Daniel WENDE
5 CHN Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG
6 USA Marissa CASTELLI / Simon SHNAPIR
7 FRA Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES
8 CAN Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD
9 ITA Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK
10 RUS Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV

Men's Short Program Season's Best

1 GBR Matthew PARR 49.32
2 ITA Paul Bonifacio PARKINSON 63.37
3 UKR Yakov GODOROZHA 63.68
4 RUS Evgeny PLYUSHCHENKO N/A
5 USA Jeremy ABBOTT 78.78
6 GER Peter LIEBERS 77.42
7 CHN Han YAN 90.14
8 FRA Florent AMODIO 78.6
9 CAN Patrick CHAN 98.52
10 JPN Yuzuru HANYU 99.84

Pair's Short Program

1 JPN Narumi TAKAHASHI / Ryuichi KIHARA 49.54
2 GBR Stacey KEMP / David KING 51.33
3 UKR Julia LAVRENTIEVA / Yuri RUDYK 37.96
4 GER Maylin WENDE / Daniel WENDE 61.00
5 CHN Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG 68.87
6 USA Marissa CASTELLI / Simon SHNAPIR 62.56
7 FRA Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES 63,23
8 CAN Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD 73.07
9 ITA Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK 69.38
10 RUS Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV 83.98

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
i thought v/t would do long...

the russia/canada matchup is more interesting without pchiddy and v/t skating the long - reynolds and s/k are significantly weaker

It makes more sense oddly enough since the sp and lp are worth the same to use your stronger skater in the short when there are more competitiors 10 - because the worst you can do in the lp is fifth. the idea is to try to place super high in the sp and get spoilers inbetween you and your competitors. ie. theo competitors will "hope" japan's dance and pairs team end up with lots of skaters between them and say the skaters from Russia, Canada and the US so even if Japan wins the sp and lps in men and women which is possible they are weighed down a lot by the pairs and dance.. But I think the positions are so close I think Russia, Canada and USA and maybe Japan too (depending on the Reed's and how high or well the singles do) it is a dog fight for gold. I don't think it is too clear at all who is the favourite.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Is Canada for sure going with Reynolds - that just seems suicidal - they still might medal but they are really jeopordizing their shot at gold and it is almost certain Reynolds who has not skated alot and was not that convincing last year plus skaters are getting better would be a sore spot for the Canadian team. Unless Chan refuses to skate both but still that would make me think gold to USA espeically since Abbott appears to be skating so well.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh please, USFSA, don't rob Jason of an Olympic medal...
Well it doesn't sound like the USFSA is going to rob Jason of anything and he will skate in the team event however, he hardly is being robbed but rather gifted. Remember there are other probably far more deserving skaters who will never have an oly medal and maybe even gold - Browning, Tai and Randy, Kavaguti and Smirnov, Joubert (not sure if Bourne and Kraatz every got a medal too but just to name a few. Jason hasn't paid his dues or fully established himself as worthy. Some skaters will be gifted with a medal ie the Reed's probably. You can argue yes they skated but they never would have been the first choice if it were not for they were the best of the worst so to speak for that nation.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Ashley/Gracie, Kaetlyn, or Julia will leave the games as a gold medalist while Michelle, Irina, Sasha, and Midori don't have one. That's hard for me to believe. :laugh:

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
It makes more sense oddly enough since the sp and lp are worth the same to use your stronger skater in the short when there are more competitiors 10 - because the worst you can do in the lp is fifth. the idea is to try to place super high in the sp and get spoilers inbetween you and your competitors. ie. theo competitors will "hope" japan's dance and pairs team end up with lots of skaters between them and say the skaters from Russia, Canada and the US so even if Japan wins the sp and lps in men and women which is possible they are weighed down a lot by the pairs and dance.. But I think the positions are so close I think Russia, Canada and USA and maybe Japan too (depending on the Reed's and how high or well the singles do) it is a dog fight for gold. I don't think it is too clear at all who is the favourite.

that makes a lot of sense. you could put a corgi in figure skates out for the lp and still get five points just for stepping onto the ice

team canada should convince pchiddy to skate the lp. there are, what, three days between that and his individual? he's an elite, highly trained athlete and he can't handle an extra four minutes on the ice with 72 hours to recuperate before the next four minutes on ice? c'mon. i don't think the risk is that high and canada's chances for gold go up exponentially

merinheart

Rinkside
Jason hasn't paid his dues or fully established himself as worthy.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think people are demanding that the USFSA hand him anything but rather a give him a fair & deserving shot at a medal at the team event. Yes, he may not have the quad to compete with the top contenders in the individual event. But he has shown in his first senior season to be one of the most promising & talented skaters to come out in the US men's field in a while. Why shouldn't he be deemed "worthy" of representing them as part of Team USA? Are the USFS seriously going to hedge all their bets on Jeremy who hasn't exactly established himself as a consistent top skater in the past?

There's been speculations about countries like Canada, France & Japan splitting their men for the team event. And guess what - now there's reports of Chan/Reynolds, Joubert/Amodio, Hanyu/Machida practicing in Sochi while Jason's apparently still in Munich and won't leave till tomorrow. So yeah, I'm nervous to say the least. I just can't make sense of what the USFSA plans are for him.

ETA: Given Jason's penchant for long practices maybe he and Kori thought it best to stay in Munich where there's less distractions & have extra time on the ice? It's my understanding that the skaters in Sochi are limited to 2 40 minute sessions a day at the official rink, no? Where's Gracie Gold at? If Jason is still not a lock for the team event I'm 99.99% sure that Gracie IS so I'm curious to know if she is in Sochi already.

Ahh, I'm definitely stressing out about all this more than I should!! Darn you Jason for making me give a hoot about US figure skating again! :laugh:

desertskates

Medalist
U.S. Figure Skating
‏@USFigureSkating
We will announce the ladies short program and short dance on Feb. 7 at 10 a.m. for the team event.

U.S. Figure Skating ‏
@USFigureSkating
The announcement of @jeremyabbottpcf and @MarissaCastelli and @SimonShnapir are for the team event short programs only.

Oh they're piecemealing this. GROAN.

Groan indeed? Maybe they're waiting to see how each lady is practicing on Olympic ice? Or maybe they're holding them somewhere in the village making them duke it out in a card game tournament? :laugh: Who knows...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I respectfully disagree. I don't think people are demanding that the USFSA hand him anything but rather a give him a fair & deserving shot at a medal at the team event. Yes, he may not have the quad to compete with the top contenders in the individual event. But he has shown in his first senior season to be one of the most promising & talented skaters to come out in the US men's field in a while. Why shouldn't he be deemed "worthy" of representing them as part of Team USA? Are the USFS seriously going to hedge all their bets on Jeremy who hasn't exactly established himself as a consistent top skater in the past?

There's been speculations about countries like Canada, France & Japan splitting their men for the team event. And guess what - now there's reports of Chan/Reynolds, Joubert/Amodio, Hanyu/Machida practicing in Sochi while Jason's apparently still in Munich and won't leave till tomorrow. So yeah, I'm nervous to say the least. I just can't make sense of what the USFSA plans are for him.

I wouldn't read too much into travel plans. If Jason arrives Thursday AM Sochi time, that still gives him plenty of time to settle in and compete. Everyone thought Gracie was going to do the SP because she left well before everyone else and obviously that wan't the case. Also you have to remember that he's not just twiddling his thumbs at the USA check in center -- I seen several tweets from him practicing on ice in Munich.

The time difference between Munich and Sochi is equal to Los Angeles to New York. Yes it's a cross-country trip. But consider this: He left for Skate America on a Tuesday and competed on the Friday in the SP, i.e. same amount of time he would be doing if he was doing the FS for the team event. Heck, at Nationals, he got majorly delayed due to the weather, didn't arrive to Boston until that Wednesday, Jan. 8 and skated the SP just fine two days later.

We'll see. The reports seem to indicate that Jason will be doing the FS and the only report that differs from that is Nick McCarvel's mysterious tweet that the team lineup isn't what people expect, which could mean anything (i.e. people expecting Gracie to do the SP for example).

As to whether Jason paid his dues or is worthy, I think he proved himself with a stellar performance at Nationals and by having a consistent GP season. Jeremy and him are actually pretty equal. Both have a bronze; Jason has a higher SB, Jeremy is the national champ and each won a segment at Nationals.

Groan indeed? Maybe they're waiting to see how each lady is practicing on Olympic ice? Or maybe they're holding them somewhere in the village making them duke it out in a card game tournament? :laugh: Who knows...

YES CARD GAME! I vote for Settlers of Catan! Okay that's more of a board game...but perfect game to detrmine DOMINATION!

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I wouldn't read too much into travel plans. If Jason arrives Thursday AM Sochi time, that still gives him plenty of time to settle in and compete. Everyone thought Gracie was going to do the SP because she left well before everyone else and obviously that wan't the case. Also you have to remember that he's not just twiddling his thumbs at the USA check in center -- I seen several tweets from him practicing on ice in Munich.

The time difference between Munich and Sochi is equal to Los Angeles to New York. Yes it's a cross-country trip. But consider this: He left for Skate America on a Tuesday and competed on the Friday in the SP, i.e. same amount of time he would be doing if he was doing the FS for the team event. Heck, at Nationals, he got majorly delayed due to the weather, didn't arrive to Boston until that Wednesday, Jan. 8 and skated the SP just fine two days later.

We'll see. The reports seem to indicate that Jason will be doing the FS and the only report that differs from that is Nick McCarvel's mysterious tweet that the team lineup isn't what people expect, which could mean anything (i.e. people expecting Gracie to do the SP for example).

As to whether Jason paid his dues or is worthy, I think he proved himself with a stellar performance at Nationals and by having a consistent GP season. Jeremy and him are actually pretty equal. Both have a bronze; Jason has a higher SB, Jeremy is the national champ and each won a segment at Nationals.

YES CARD GAME! I vote for Settlers of Catan! Okay that's more of a board game...but perfect game to detrmine DOMINATION!

Ahh. I'm just so anxious. I want Jason to have a chance to compete for the team medal.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Ashley/Gracie, Kaetlyn, or Julia will leave the games as a gold medalist while Michelle, Irina, Sasha, and Midori don't have one. That's hard for me to believe. :laugh:

That is pretty astounding! Same with Castelli/Shnapir, D/R & MT/M, and S/K leaving the games with a gold when Pang/Tong likely won't have one.

merinheart

Rinkside
Thanks for that info, Mrs. P. I already edited my previous post speculating about him perhaps deciding to practice in Munich rather than Sochi. Hope you're right that his travel plans doesn't mean he won't be skating. I, like many, just don't care for the USFSA being so dramatic about keeping their lineup a secret what with all the secrecy & denials. Not sure if there ever was an "official" announcement but it seems like some federations like Japan have already let out their entire lineups for the team short and free.

I agree that Jason and Jeremy has had a similar seasons though with Jeremy's past inconsistencies in international comps I'd be mightily annoyed if the USFS decided to slot him in for both skates. I admit though that I haven't really followed Jeremy's career or figure skating in general the past few years until I first saw Jason at TEB and then US Nationals so I'm still trying to catch up on everything I missed!

noskates

Record Breaker
I really dislike the saying "hasn't paid his or her dues!" What does that mean anyway? That makes it sound like Jason's silver medal at Nationals was gratuitous. He earned it - and he earned it above men that had quads. Can he do it again? Who knows. The ice is slippery! But, had Tara Lipinski or Sarah Huges or Oksana Bauil or Alexei Urmanov paid their dues before they won the OGM?

As for travel and being tired, etc. etc. these are well-trained athletes being guided (one would hope) by people that take travel and rest time into consideration when they plan their trips.

amc987

On the Ice
I really dislike the saying "hasn't paid his or her dues!" What does that mean anyway? That makes it sound like Jason's silver medal at Nationals was gratuitous. He earned it - and he earned it above men that had quads. Can he do it again? Who knows. The ice is slippery! But, had Tara Lipinski or Sarah Huges or Oksana Bauil or Alexei Urmanov paid their dues before they won the OGM?

As for travel and being tired, etc. etc. these are well-trained athletes being guided (one would hope) by people that take travel and rest time into consideration when they plan their trips.

Baiul and Lipinski won Worlds the year before each won the Olympics. How did they not pay their dues?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
that makes a lot of sense. you could put a corgi in figure skates out for the lp and still get five points just for stepping onto the ice

team canada should convince pchiddy to skate the lp. there are, what, three days between that and his individual? he's an elite, highly trained athlete and he can't handle an extra four minutes on the ice with 72 hours to recuperate before the next four minutes on ice? c'mon. i don't think the risk is that high and canada's chances for gold go up exponentially

Yep you got it. Except I don't think a Corgi would count as a male or female skater :) :) :)