Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Who will skate in the team event

Quote Originally Posted by Iscariot View Post
    Are all the countries publishing the team members selection today?
    It's a requirement for all countries to submit entries the day before ... i'm guessing by 10am sochi time

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Per USFS, its future team entries will be confirmed as follows:
    ~ Short program/dance - ladies and ice dance - 10:00 a.m., Friday, Feb. 7
    ~ Free skate - pairs - 9:40 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 8
    ~ Free skate/dance - ladies, men's, ice dance - 10 a.m., Sunday, Feb. 9

Not surprisingly those dates/times (ETA: in local Sochi time) coincide with ISU "nomination by name of the skaters" deadlines for those programs, per ISU Communication No. 1844.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
    And Scott is the captain of team Canada with Tessa as an assistant captain. What role does the captian play?
    At WTT, one of the duties of the captain was to represent the team in press conferences (one presser after all the SPs + SD, I think; another after all the FSs + FD).

And at the medal ceremony, I think the team captains (as reps for the entire team) received medals first ... although all team members then received medals.

Love Moir/Virtue as captain and assistant captain ... the only better choices would be to have the order reversed, LOL.

I remember when Charlie White was WTT captain for Team USA, he was trying to dream up cheers and other morale-boosting stuff such to keep team spirit high.

ETA, the complete list of 2014 Olympic Team Captains and what the ISU calls "Assistance [sic] Team Captains" (every country has one of each):

Quote Originally Posted by starryxskies View Post
    It's a requirement for all countries to submit entries the day before ... i'm guessing by 10am sochi time
    Yes, 10:00 am Sochi time was the deadline.

Banned
    i don't think team captain has any actual responsibilities, they're mostly just there so officials have a go-to person to talk to if they have to. i guess for morale purposes too (so no muttering under your breath that you hate this event this time, scott)

"assistant team captain", lol team canada is cute

Custom Title
    Oh please, USFSA, don't rob Jason of an Olympic medal...

Quote Originally Posted by Gymfan15 View Post
    Random, but I have a gripe with people who think that Ashley should be given the long in the team event because she needs to get her new program out there. Why on earth should that be any of USFSA's concern? It's not their problem that Ashley couldn't make her old program work and had to do a very risky last-minute change. They will put up whatever skaters will do BEST in each segment, not what makes them most comfortable or gives them the most experience. If anything, I could see them prohibiting Gracie from giving up the long in the team program BECAUSE they don't want Ashley putting a completely unknown program out there when the team medal is on the line. What she does for her own individual success is her own business, but how she skates for the team is everyone's business and putting a brand new program out there could potentially be devastating for a lot of people if she can't pull it off.

I love Ashley, but it makes no sense whatsoever.
    Agreed.

I hope reports are true that Jason will be doing 'Riverdance' twice at these Olympic Games! What a treat! Jason is a Rock Star.

I'm glad that it seems Ashley and Jeremy will skate the SP - both have strong SPs when they hit. Both, for different reasons, have been shaky in the LP at some big events. Same with Gracie but she doesn't have some re-worked untried LP that she'll be skating before the Olympic judges in the team portion - Ashley would. I think Gold was the safer bet there. I LOVE that Jason will skate the LP for the men - imo he's less likely to implode in that portion than Jeremy. In the singles events, oh well, but at least in the team events poor performances won't affect teammate's chances for a medal.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Would not surprise me if some Team USA skaters return to Germany during the Games to continue training there while they await their individual disciplines.

(As I have said elsewhere, USFS originally was planning to use Graz for this purpose -- but at this point, I would say that Germany is looking more probable as the location.)
    Due to the very real terrorists threats in Russia, the U.S. State Department advised it's athletes not to venture out of the Olympic village but if they did, they are advised not to wear 'USA' clothing. I think it wouldn't be wise for skaters to be in Germany or elsewhere while the Games are going on. It's a safety issue. Jmo.

Quote Originally Posted by enlight78 View Post
    http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...ng-team-event/

Russia

Julia short and long
    Plushenko short and long
    Maxim and T short Ksenia and F long
    B/S short I/K long
    WOW! No Adelina? She tends to score higher than Julia in the SP. Interesting.

Custom Title
    If Russia doesn't win gold they don't want all be blame to go on their selection of plushenko but rather have it divided between plushenko and I/k. I/k is actually more likely to do poorer than plushenko so if both are weak which is probable their decision on plushenko can't solely be blamed.

Banned
    i thought v/t would do long...

the russia/canada matchup is more interesting without pchiddy and v/t skating the long - reynolds and s/k are significantly weaker

Custom Title
    ^I agree.

It also makes me think that depending on how healthy plushy is, and which Kevin shows up in the long, we could have the US man pull ahead of both countries in that discipline. Either way a top 2 or 3 finish in the mens portion would be much more plausible in this scenario.

I CANNOT WAIT FOR TOMORROW!!!! FIGURE SKATING BEGINS IN 28.5 HOURS!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAH!

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Might make sense for Joubert to do it. He's been at least more consistent than Amodio, even if he isn't getting the PCS.
    According to this, it seems that Brian will do the free, if France qualifies for it:

LMDJ‏@MaisonDeJoubert·
    #JO2014 Team Event: "Si la France se qualifie, #BrianJoubert participera au programme libre dimanche" http://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/info/57229...dio-ouverture/

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by draqq View Post
    Some official start orders so far.

Men's Short Program

1 GBR Matthew PARR
    2 ITA Paul Bonifacio PARKINSON
    3 UKR Yakov GODOROZHA
    4 RUS Evgeny PLYUSHCHENKO
    5 USA Jeremy ABBOTT
    6 GER Peter LIEBERS
    7 CHN Han YAN
    8 FRA Florent AMODIO
    9 CAN Patrick CHAN
    10 JPN Yuzuru HANYU

Pair's Short Program

1 JPN Narumi TAKAHASHI / Ryuichi KIHARA
    2 GBR Stacey KEMP / David KING
    3 UKR Julia LAVRENTIEVA / Yuri RUDYK
    4 GER Maylin WENDE / Daniel WENDE
    5 CHN Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG
    6 USA Marissa CASTELLI / Simon SHNAPIR
    7 FRA Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES
    8 CAN Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD
    9 ITA Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK
    10 RUS Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV
    Men's Short Program Season's Best

1 GBR Matthew PARR 49.32
    2 ITA Paul Bonifacio PARKINSON 63.37
    3 UKR Yakov GODOROZHA 63.68
    4 RUS Evgeny PLYUSHCHENKO N/A
    5 USA Jeremy ABBOTT 78.78
    6 GER Peter LIEBERS 77.42
    7 CHN Han YAN 90.14
    8 FRA Florent AMODIO 78.6
    9 CAN Patrick CHAN 98.52
    10 JPN Yuzuru HANYU 99.84

Pair's Short Program

1 JPN Narumi TAKAHASHI / Ryuichi KIHARA 49.54
    2 GBR Stacey KEMP / David KING 51.33
    3 UKR Julia LAVRENTIEVA / Yuri RUDYK 37.96
    4 GER Maylin WENDE / Daniel WENDE 61.00
    5 CHN Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG 68.87
    6 USA Marissa CASTELLI / Simon SHNAPIR 62.56
    7 FRA Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES 63,23
    8 CAN Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD 73.07
    9 ITA Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK 69.38
    10 RUS Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV 83.98

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    i thought v/t would do long...

the russia/canada matchup is more interesting without pchiddy and v/t skating the long - reynolds and s/k are significantly weaker
    It makes more sense oddly enough since the sp and lp are worth the same to use your stronger skater in the short when there are more competitiors 10 - because the worst you can do in the lp is fifth. the idea is to try to place super high in the sp and get spoilers inbetween you and your competitors. ie. theo competitors will "hope" japan's dance and pairs team end up with lots of skaters between them and say the skaters from Russia, Canada and the US so even if Japan wins the sp and lps in men and women which is possible they are weighed down a lot by the pairs and dance.. But I think the positions are so close I think Russia, Canada and USA and maybe Japan too (depending on the Reed's and how high or well the singles do) it is a dog fight for gold. I don't think it is too clear at all who is the favourite.

Custom Title
    Is Canada for sure going with Reynolds - that just seems suicidal - they still might medal but they are really jeopordizing their shot at gold and it is almost certain Reynolds who has not skated alot and was not that convincing last year plus skaters are getting better would be a sore spot for the Canadian team. Unless Chan refuses to skate both but still that would make me think gold to USA espeically since Abbott appears to be skating so well.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    This is making me nervous.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Well it doesn't sound like the USFSA is going to rob Jason of anything and he will skate in the team event however, he hardly is being robbed but rather gifted. Remember there are other probably far more deserving skaters who will never have an oly medal and maybe even gold - Browning, Tai and Randy, Kavaguti and Smirnov, Joubert (not sure if Bourne and Kraatz every got a medal too but just to name a few. Jason hasn't paid his dues or fully established himself as worthy. Some skaters will be gifted with a medal ie the Reed's probably. You can argue yes they skated but they never would have been the first choice if it were not for they were the best of the worst so to speak for that nation.

Custom Title
    Ashley/Gracie, Kaetlyn, or Julia will leave the games as a gold medalist while Michelle, Irina, Sasha, and Midori don't have one. That's hard for me to believe.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast