Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Who will skate in the team event

Custom Title
    I for one totally get it if Patrick doesn't want to do the free. I'm sure he's trained well enough that if he needs to he can skate the free and still deliver in the rest of the event, but for what it's worth a good deal of Patrick's skating seems to be a mental game.

Sometimes it's about allowing yourself the space to "no" to something so you can take care of what really matters to you. With his short program, he's already struck lightning twice with it and I can see why he'd be more comfortable throwing it down twice in Sochi. But he spends a lot of time talking about "saving" his good skates for the Olympics and while I'm sure if he was able to mentally decide to deliver 4 amazing skates here he could... it doesn't always work like that.

The mind is an elusive thing to understand, and some stuff even a sport psychologist can't just help you through. Not to mention, I can only imagine what sorts of things can play at his mind with the whole Canadian Mens legacy at the Olympics. By not skating the free, it probably does make it a lot harder for Canada to win the team gold, but I understand it.

Custom Title
    ^but then again he could show up and skate 4 times and I wouldn't be surprised by that either!

UGH all this speculation makes my head spin!

Rinkside
    If Canada lets Kevin skate the long they will not win Gold or maybe even silver. Please no Kevin!

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Desertskates, your avatar is gorgeous!
    Thank you, I just realized I've been around enough to customize! One of my favorite Sasha moments

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by M&R View Post
    If Canada lets Kevin skate the long they will not win Gold or maybe even silver. Please no Kevin!
    The problem is that Patrick skating 4 competitive programs in the span of a week could put him at a serious disadvantage against the Japanese men and other top contenders. I think Canada would accept a lower medal in team to give Patrick the best chance at individual gold.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post

I'm not a gamer, but I remember that Charlie White and Evan Bates took one of the full-sized contraptions (XBox or something like that?) to Vancouver to keep them relaxed. Wonder if they did the same for Sochi. Maybe Wagner and Gold could duke it out in a video game ... except then Edmunds might jump in and dominate them both, LOL. (Don't remember the name of the game that Edmunds was playing earlier.)
    (Super-random thought from someone who likes braids : Edmunds already is giving Gold a run for her money in the braided hairstyles department.)
    Ah, you're thinking "Call of Duty," golden411.

Custom Title
    It's too bad, because the Kevin of last year would probably end up second or third in the LP, meaning barely any lost points.

Actually, screw second or third, he could have even been first if he was clean.

Banned
    i'm seriously starting to think chan should just suck it the hell up and skate both. three days recovery is a buttload of time

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    i'm seriously starting to think chan should just suck it the hell up and skate both. three days recovery is a buttload of time
    The men's SP and LP are back to back days though. Everyone will want to be at their best.

Custom Title
    Starting orders are up for the Ladies short program and short dance:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2014/SEG011.HTM

http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2014/SEG015.HTM

I am really surprised that China is going with Zhang over Li. They have zero shot of making the final now.

And Lipnitskaia is skating the SP for Russia, as reported. So, Sotnikova is out of the team event and won't get a medal.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Due to the very real terrorists threats in Russia, the U.S. State Department advised it's athletes not to venture out of the Olympic village but if they did, they are advised not to wear 'USA' clothing. I think it wouldn't be wise for skaters to be in Germany or elsewhere while the Games are going on. It's a safety issue. Jmo.
    My understanding is that the concern re terrorism and the recommendation against wearing USA clothing pertain specifically to the vicinity of Sochi surrounding the Olympic security zone.

Flying to Germany and wearing USA clothing there would be a completely unrelated scenario, AFAIK.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I wouldnt be surprised if we see Chan skate the long program unexpectedly and Weaver & Poje skate instead of Reynolds. However I am not sure that is wise. Canada has faint to no chance of the gold at this point anyway, and I could see Chan trying too hard and falling apart in the team long, damaging his confidence further for the individual event.
    v/m are very strangely set and enthusiastic about skating both programs, so i doubt we'll see weapo. i hope chan changes his mind, but i doubt it. it's clear what his priorities are. which is a mistake, imo he's more likely to get team gold than individual gold at the moment

My understanding is that the concern re terrorism and the recommendation against wearing USA clothing pertain specifically to the vicinity of Sochi surrounding the Olympic security zone.
    the usa uniform this year is hideous anyway, i wouldn't wear it even without the threat of a terrorist attack. it looks like the american flag up and got explosive diarrhea all over someone's jacket

Banned
    I suspect if V&M lose the SD to D&W in the team event (which I predict they will) their enthusiasm for skating both rounds of the team event will suddenly evaporate. The last thing they will want is to lose 2 programs to D&W before the individual event even begins. I think if V&M win the SD we see Reynolds, and if they dont we see W&P.
    i see your point and this may very well happen, but they were really gung ho about skating both so who knows. will canada even medal if weapo skate the long? i haven't done the math

Banned
    Canada will easily win silver even if they use both weapo and reynolds. U.S is no threat at this point. They would actually probably lose alot more points using Reynolds than they would using weapo. There is a good chance France wont even make the Team Final, and if that is the case Wepo arguably would be likely to finish in exactly the same position as V&M in the 2nd round- 2nd. Yeah V&M could finish 1st over D&W, or W&P could finish 3rd or even 4th with I&K and C&L, but the most likely outcome for both teams in the 2nd round would in fact be 2nd place for either. Chan meanwhile would be likely to win the 2nd round (Plushenko is far less likely to get through a really strong long, and Machida will lose to Chan on PCS unless Chan really struggles) and Reynolds would be extremely likely to come 4th behind all of Japan, Russia, U.S.
    is hanyu skating the long? if he isn't, it would be an easy win for chan even if he doesn't skate clean (which he won't), because i too doubt grandpa plushy will do as well in the long as he did in the short, even with inflated scores

weapo ain't beating i/k on home ice

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    is hanyu skating the long? if he isn't, it would be an easy win for chan even if he doesn't skate clean (which he won't), because i too doubt grandpa plushy will do as well in the long as he did in the short, even with inflated scores

weapo ain't beating i/k on home ice
    If I&K skate a FD like they did at Europeans, Russian Nationals, or any of their outings this year minus one (where they beat P&B), W&P will have no problem beating I&K even in Russia. There is only so much home ice will do for you. Basically most of their FD performances this year were disaesters, which makes it all the more laughable Russia is including them at the expense of Sotnikova just to do the FD instead of B&S.

Machida is skating the LP for Japan.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast