Who will skate in the team event | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Who will skate in the team event

centerpt1

On the Ice
Doesn't the entire team get the medal, whether or not they actually skate?

Just the ones who skate in the team event.
I wish they all got medals.

I'd be surprised if Jeremy skates the team long. His Physical Therapist isn't coming until the men's singles events. (per an interview) She has been with him at all his events this season. He has a bad back, skates in pain and needs taping, plus aftercare.

On the other hand, his ranking is so low, he'll be with the lower men in the single's short, so maybe his team thinks getting him in front of the judges is needed to get him into the top 10. Or- as this is his last shot, why not go for broke and risk further pain and injury...

Really surprised they aren't splitting the pairs. The team pairs long is very close to the pairs short

Hard to understand the team reasoning.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

FWIW, Wagner and Abbott appeared live on the Today show this morning.
Matt Lauer asked what they could say about who is skating in the team event, and Wagner replied that the roster is top secret.
[I'm not casting aspersions on Christine Brennan's reporting. Just noting that the athletes declined to tell Lauer anything about the roster. He did not reference Brennan's report.]

Wagner had barely arrived in Sochi -- was very animated.
BTW, Lauer asked her about Mirai Nagasu. Wagner said (I'm paraphrasing) that Mirai had sent her a text [as we knew], and added that they had been in touch thereafter; that they have been friends for some time; and that Wagner really appreciates her support.

ETA, question:
Have we had any indication as to who will be captain for Team USA? Davis would be a good choice. Wagner and White already have had turns as captains for WTT.​

ETA:
Just read an interview with Jason where he confirms that he's attending the opening ceremony. ...

So if Brennan is correct that Jason will skate the team Men's FS on Sunday, I wonder whether he will stick to his plan for the Opening Ceremony on Friday. Or I wonder whether it is possible that he would/could "attend" the OC as a spectator, without marching with the athletes (and enduring the exhausting ordeal of waiting on his feet for hours in the holding area to do so). In any case, no doubt that Kori and he will make a well-informed decision. :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Quick question: is Joubert or Amodio competing in the SP for France (and is that person also competing in the LP if France makes the finals?)

flutzy13

On the Ice
Oh, I hope it is so! For no other reason than that the world needs to see Jason't Riverdance twice... And if that is not a good reason, than I don't know what is! ;)

I'm okay with it. Gracie's not a sure thing in the LP. Neither is Ashley- see GPF and Nats. It seems like Gracie as US Champion got more say and chose the program she's been training all season. It makes sense.

And yes for Wagner individually, it would be good to get the reworked S&D out there. But I'm not sure that her debuting a program with the team medal on the line is something USFSA was comfortable with and I get that.

I'm glad they're splitting both ladies and mens. I'm glad we'll see Riverdance twice. I'm glad D&W will help the US out by doing both programs. And I'm happy for Marissa & Simon who are going to have a medal opportunity that US pairs wouldn't otherwise have. I do feel though for the members of the US team who aren't members of the "team."

Icey

Record Breaker
If ashley, in particular, has a substandard performance in the team event, I wonder how that will affect her. I wish the team event was held after the individual competitions.
And then there is always the possibility of injury during the team event.

cornell08

Final Flight
I'm okay with it. Gracie's not a sure thing in the LP. Neither is Ashley- see GPF and Nats. It seems like Gracie as US Champion got more say and chose the program she's been training all season. It makes sense.

But in the previous article Frank Carroll says Gracie would have skated both segments if she got first pick. So....????

desertskates

Medalist
I'm surprised it went that way with Gracie doing the long, but maybe it's best so Ashley can have that bit of extra time to train the new/old program. And Riverdance twice, woot!!!

flutzy13

On the Ice
But in the previous article Frank Carroll says Gracie would have skated both segments if she got first pick. So....????

Then Gracie, last week in her press conference, was saying she wanted to do one program, ideally the free program as to not tire anyone out and let two ladies partake. I think probably the National champions (with the exception of Castelli & Shnapir) got some say as to preferences but USFS was always putting Ashley in the team event despite whether their official documents make it sound like Gracie as #1 could pick one or both. The only ones who likely truly had complete say were Meryl & Charlie

meem

On the Ice
Both of their (Ashley & Jeremy) SP's are wonderful - very contemporary music and sleek choreography (nothing "princessy" or OTT drama).

desertskates

Medalist
My only gripe with the team event is the timing. It would be nice for all the skaters to fully take part in the opening ceremonies, but I'm sure that some (like Gracie) will be sitting out :cry:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
My only gripe with the team event is the timing. It would be nice for all the skaters to fully take part in the opening ceremonies, but I'm sure that some (like Gracie) will be sitting out :cry:

I think that, of the US team participants, only Jeremy will have completed his portion by the time the opening ceremonies start.

LRK

Record Breaker
Quick question: is Joubert or Amodio competing in the SP for France (and is that person also competing in the LP if France makes the finals?)

This is something I'd like to know as well (well, naturally, being a Brian fan), so I second the question. Does anyone know? Also, if he is skating, I wonder which Florent will turn up - but I don't suppose anyone could answer that.... ;)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This is something I'd like to know as well (well, naturally, being a Brian fan), so I second the question. Does anyone know? Also, if he is skating, I wonder which Florent will turn up - but I don't suppose anyone could answer that.... ;)

Might make sense for Joubert to do it. He's been at least more consistent than Amodio, even if he isn't getting the PCS.