Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Who will skate in the team event

Right, but if you've got two skaters who are going to place equally well, why not give yourself a free Olympic medal? It can mean a lot in terms of endorsements and sponsorships, not to mention personal satisfaction. Just being an Olympian has got nothing on being an Olympic medalist.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    For you, Mrs. P, 9 pm PT (= midnight ET), right??

ETA:
    I have no idea what Jason's desires/expectations are ... but marching in the Opening Ceremony at his first Olympics would be a quite a wonderful "consolation prize" -- IF(??) he ends up not competing in the team event for one reason or another.
    Sochi is exactly 12 hours from PST, so 10 p.m. my time.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/...90471934255104

USFigureSkating
    FYI Team Event: We will announce the athletes involved in the short program at Midnight ET (10 a.m. Sochi) on Feb. 5th

Wow talk about last minute. And midnight?!
    Sochi is exactly 12 hours from PST, so 10 p.m. my time.
    Oyyyy, sorry, Mrs. P. You, of course, are correct (I never should have doubted you ).

But in my "defense" , the source of my confusion was the misleading USFS tweet above ... which led to the discussion in this thread of "midnight" drama.
    So the "midnight" drama actually will be in the Central time zone, not Eastern. Not that there's anything wrong with that ...

On the Ice
    Yeah I'm even more convinced now that it makes no sense for Jason to be excluded from the team event. He already said that he would love to do the team event so if he's not in then it'll be because they didn't ask him. Maybe his team feels confident that he can go to the opening ceremony and not have it negatively impact his training/prep for the team competition? Crossing my fingers anyway!

And welcome to Golden Skate, merinheart!
    Thanks Mrs. P!!

On the Ice
    Doesn't the entire team get the medal, whether or not they actually skate?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxiejan View Post
    Doesn't the entire team get the medal, whether or not they actually skate?
    Just the ones who skate in the team event.
    I wish they all got medals.

I'd be surprised if Jeremy skates the team long. His Physical Therapist isn't coming until the men's singles events. (per an interview) She has been with him at all his events this season. He has a bad back, skates in pain and needs taping, plus aftercare.

On the other hand, his ranking is so low, he'll be with the lower men in the single's short, so maybe his team thinks getting him in front of the judges is needed to get him into the top 10. Or- as this is his last shot, why not go for broke and risk further pain and injury...

Really surprised they aren't splitting the pairs. The team pairs long is very close to the pairs short

Hard to understand the team reasoning.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...event/5198907/

USA Today article on the US participants in the team event.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post

I don't understand that. Gracie is a better SP skater the LP gives her to much time to make mistakes plus Ashley needs to skate her new LP in competition.

Oh, I hope it is so! For no other reason than that the world needs to see Jason't Riverdance twice... And if that is not a good reason, than I don't know what is!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I don't understand that. Gracie is a better SP skater the LP gives her to much time to make mistakes plus Ashley needs to skate her new LP in competition.
    Exactly.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar

FWIW, Wagner and Abbott appeared live on the Today show this morning.
    Matt Lauer asked what they could say about who is skating in the team event, and Wagner replied that the roster is top secret.
    [I'm not casting aspersions on Christine Brennan's reporting. Just noting that the athletes declined to tell Lauer anything about the roster. He did not reference Brennan's report.]

Wagner had barely arrived in Sochi -- was very animated.
    BTW, Lauer asked her about Mirai Nagasu. Wagner said (I'm paraphrasing) that Mirai had sent her a text [as we knew], and added that they had been in touch thereafter; that they have been friends for some time; and that Wagner really appreciates her support.

ETA, question:
    Have we had any indication as to who will be captain for Team USA? Davis would be a good choice. Wagner and White already have had turns as captains for WTT.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by merinheart View Post
    Just read an interview with Jason where he confirms that he's attending the opening ceremony. ...
    So if Brennan is correct that Jason will skate the team Men's FS on Sunday, I wonder whether he will stick to his plan for the Opening Ceremony on Friday. Or I wonder whether it is possible that he would/could "attend" the OC as a spectator, without marching with the athletes (and enduring the exhausting ordeal of waiting on his feet for hours in the holding area to do so). In any case, no doubt that Kori and he will make a well-informed decision.

Custom Title
    I hope this is accurate!

Custom Title
    Quick question: is Joubert or Amodio competing in the SP for France (and is that person also competing in the LP if France makes the finals?)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Oh, I hope it is so! For no other reason than that the world needs to see Jason't Riverdance twice... And if that is not a good reason, than I don't know what is!

I'm okay with it. Gracie's not a sure thing in the LP. Neither is Ashley- see GPF and Nats. It seems like Gracie as US Champion got more say and chose the program she's been training all season. It makes sense.

And yes for Wagner individually, it would be good to get the reworked S&D out there. But I'm not sure that her debuting a program with the team medal on the line is something USFSA was comfortable with and I get that.

I'm glad they're splitting both ladies and mens. I'm glad we'll see Riverdance twice. I'm glad D&W will help the US out by doing both programs. And I'm happy for Marissa & Simon who are going to have a medal opportunity that US pairs wouldn't otherwise have. I do feel though for the members of the US team who aren't members of the "team."

Custom Title
    If ashley, in particular, has a substandard performance in the team event, I wonder how that will affect her. I wish the team event was held after the individual competitions.
    And then there is always the possibility of injury during the team event.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast