Who will skate in the team event | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Who will skate in the team event

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
One thing to consider, as far as Ashley skating the SP (and also for her being placed on the team instead of Mirai): The skating order for the SPs in the team event will be based on international ranking (not random draw), with the top skaters going later. Since Ashley's high international ranking was not affected by her subpar results at Nationals, it's entirely likely that she'll be one of the final skaters in the 2nd SP group; much later than Mirai, Polina or even Gracie would have been. So she'll have a chance to see how it's going and decide whther she needs to do 3f-3t or if the better team strategy is 3f-2t. In the LP, the skaters go in reverse order of the SP results. So if Ashley can skate safely and grab a 1st or 2nd, that also sets up Gracie to be able to skate later than most of the others.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
One thing to consider, as far as Ashley skating the SP (and also for her being placed on the team instead of Mirai): The skating order for the SPs in the team event will be based on international ranking (not random draw), with the top skaters going later. Since Ashley's high international ranking was not affected by her subpar results at Nationals, it's entirely likely that she'll be one of the final skaters in the 2nd SP group; much later than Mirai, Polina or even Gracie would have been. So she'll have a chance to see how it's going and decide whther she needs to do 3f-3t or if the better team strategy is 3f-2t. In the LP, the skaters go in reverse order of the SP results. So if Ashley can skate safely and grab a 1st or 2nd, that also sets up Gracie to be able to skate later than most of the others.

Very good point! Perhaps if Mao has a poor SP along with Carolina, she'll only need a decent skate to position herself in 2nd (it's not likely she will be a clean Julia on Russian ice).

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Random, but I have a gripe with people who think that Ashley should be given the long in the team event because she needs to get her new program out there. Why on earth should that be any of USFSA's concern? It's not their problem that Ashley couldn't make her old program work and had to do a very risky last-minute change. They will put up whatever skaters will do BEST in each segment, not what makes them most comfortable or gives them the most experience. If anything, I could see them prohibiting Gracie from giving up the long in the team program BECAUSE they don't want Ashley putting a completely unknown program out there when the team medal is on the line. What she does for her own individual success is her own business, but how she skates for the team is everyone's business and putting a brand new program out there could potentially be devastating for a lot of people if she can't pull it off.

I love Ashley, but it makes no sense whatsoever.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Random, but I have a gripe with people who think that Ashley should be given the long in the team event because she needs to get her new program out there. Why on earth should that be any of USFSA's concern? It's not their problem that Ashley couldn't make her old program work and had to do a very risky last-minute change. They will put up whatever skaters will do BEST in each segment, not what makes them most comfortable or gives them the most experience. If anything, I could see them prohibiting Gracie from giving up the long in the team program BECAUSE they don't want Ashley putting a completely unknown program out there when the team medal is on the line. What she does for her own individual success is her own business, but how she skates for the team is everyone's business and putting a brand new program out there could potentially be devastating for a lot of people if she can't pull it off.

I love Ashley, but it makes no sense whatsoever.

It looks like this won't be an issue, since it is being reported that Ashley will do the SP and Gracie will do the LP.

LeCygne

Final Flight
My only gripe with the team event is the timing. It would be nice for all the skaters to fully take part in the opening ceremonies, but I'm sure that some (like Gracie) will be sitting out :cry:

I'm pretty sure Gracie will be attending the opening ceremonies, with Frank's blessing too. She mentioned in an interview that he wanted her to enjoy the Olympics fully and experience everything she can, especially the opening and closing ceremonies. Team men and ladies free aren't until Sunday morning (EST), so they'll have all of Saturday to recover.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure Gracie will be attending the opening ceremonies, with Frank's blessing too. She mentioned in an interview that he wanted her to enjoy the Olympics fully and experience everything she can, especially the opening and closing ceremonies. Team men and ladies free aren't until Sunday morning (EST), so they'll have all of Saturday to recover.

Every skater and coach should decide for themselves whether the skater will march in the Opening Ceremony.
That said, IIRC, some Vancouver athletes who had competitions within 48 hours of the Opening Ceremony decided to forgo it.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
They are athletes. Thy wil survive the grueling openign ceremonies - the key is not to get sick.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Gracie left SO EARLY, though; I don't know if that is necessarily a reflection on her participation in the short program as it is a reflection on her desire to be in the country well before the Olympics start. The ladies don't skate until Saturday, so I could see Ashley leaving the same time as D/W (who also skate Saturday) and still doing the short.

The men and pairs compete the soonest, though, so I would say that Jeremy being in Sochi already is a clear indication that he will be skating the short. Hopefully that means that they'll put Jason in for the long which would make me SUPER happy!

The real risk with Jason is if he misses the triple axels he really is like that unknown Canadian Liam Firus ??? - great pc wise though not at the level of Chan or Dai but not a lot of jumping power.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
They probably have better training conditions at home than in Sochi where there is only a very limited ice time.

True but what if you skate in the team event and have to wait like 10 days or so for the ladies. With the time diference I am not sure you would want to go home.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
True but what if you skate in the team event and have to wait like 10 days or so for the ladies. With the time diference I am not sure you would want to go home.

Would not surprise me if some Team USA skaters return to Germany during the Games to continue training there while they await their individual disciplines.

(As I have said elsewhere, USFS originally was planning to use Graz for this purpose -- but at this point, I would say that Germany is looking more probable as the location.)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I'm not totally clear on the substitution rules but if I were the US/ Canada I'd do the following:

Ladies' SP: Gold; LP: Wagner
Men's SP: Abbott; LP: Brown
Dance: Davis/White both programs
Pairs: Castelli/Shnapir both programs

I still don't know that I trust Gracie not to bomb on a big occasion in international competition. So far she's done 1 good long program internationally in 2 seasons. I'm not sure that it makes sense to put her up in the LP when her score will definitely count for a medal, despite her strong performances at Nationals.

Ladies': Osmond both programs
Men's: SP: Reynolds; LP: Chan
Dance: Virtue/Moir both programs
Pairs: SP: Duhamel/ Radford; LP: Moore-Towers/ Moscovitch

Honestly, I'd probably get Chan to do both programs for Team Canada, but I don't know that that's realistic.
Canada would be super foolish to let Reynolds skate the short as that is where most damage can occur not only could he lose to the top 5 team male skaters but also lose to individual skates from China, France et al. THe worst he can be in the long is fifth with his lack of practice and competition he could be 9th or 10th realistically

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The real risk with Jason is if he misses the triple axels he really is like that unknown Canadian Liam Firus ??? - great pc wise though not at the level of Chan or Dai but not a lot of jumping power.

When was the last time Jason missed BOTH triple Axels? I don't think it's happened since JGPF 2012.

It goes both ways with the men. Jason is risky because of TES. Jeremy is risky because you don't know which Jeremy will show up.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Karne is right - Jason typically misses no more than 1 3A and that is typically a 2 foot problem. The rest of the program is solid and he can take advantage if others mess up on the 4's

gmyers

Record Breaker
Quads are also the hardest and riskiest elements and way more risky than brown doing a 3a. Doubles triples downgrades . Just like the individual event wouldn't be surprised if brown won the free skate on spin step goe and hanyu level pcs which he got in teb.

cornell08

Final Flight
Per Twitter:

Nick McCarvel (NBCOlympics journalist) ‏@NickMcCarvel 8m ago:
"U.S. #figureskating team to be announced for team event Weds. 10am #Sochi2014 local time. Line-up might not be as expected, source tells me"

Federation mind games?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
When was the last time Jason missed BOTH triple Axels? I don't think it's happened since JGPF 2012.

It goes both ways with the men. Jason is risky because of TES. Jeremy is risky because you don't know which Jeremy will show up.

My recollection may be wrong but at ntionals he missed two of them (two footed or whatever)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
My recollection may be wrong but at ntionals he missed two of them (two footed or whatever)

No. He two-footed one in the FS. He was 2/3 at Nationals.

ETA: Time to whip out the Jason Brown Triple Axel boiler plate; so glad I did this research, LOL:

Jason started trying the the 3A at his second JGP event in Turkey. However it wasn't until Junior Worlds when he clearly had the jump.

Prior to Junior Worlds:
JGP Istanbul 2012
SP: 3A<< ; -1.43 GOE
FS: 3A< ; -3.00 GOE

JGP Final 2012
SP: 3A; -0.71 GOE
FS: Waxeled. (zero points)

U.S. Nationals 2013
SP: 3A< -3.00 GOE (fall)
FS: 3A-3T< -1.14 GOE; 3A<< (fall); -1.50

Post Junior Worlds

Junior Worlds 2013
SP: 3A +0.86
FS: 3A-2T +0.14; 3A +1.00

Nebelhorn Trophy
SP: 3A + 0.86
FS: 3A+3T +0.57; 3A<< -1.50

Skate America
SP: 3A +1.14
FS: 3A<< -1.50 (fall); 3A-1T -2.14

Trophee Eric Bompard
SP: 3A +1.14
FS: 3A-2T -0.14; 1A

U.S. Nationals
SP: 3A +0.29
FS: 3A-3T +1.43; 3A< -1.00

Since U.S. Nationals he has made 3 triple axel attempts at each competition. Since Junior Worlds, Jason has been 5/5 in getting the 3A with +GOE in the short program.

The problem with his 3A has been with the free skate, and more specifically the second 3A in the program. He is 4/5 with the opening 3A combo (and 3/5 for getting +GOE) but he is only 2/5 for the second 3A attempt (and just 1/5 for positive GOE).

Since Junior Worlds: Jason got the jump ratified (no UR, no pop) 11 out of 15 attempts (73 percent). He only popped the jump once out of 15 (7 percent) and only fell once (7 percent).

He does tend to two-foot the jump when he messes up, as a result his +GOE 3A rate is much lower he got +GOE 9 out of 15 attempts (60 percent).

The biggest hurdle with his 3A is specifically the second 3A in his program. When you take out the second 3A attempt in the FS out of the statistics, his ratification rate is 90 percent and his +GOE rate is 80 percent. He also messed up that second attempt (turnout) when I watched him practice at Nationals, which tells me it's a mental thing. What also convinces me that it's a mental thing is that there when I watch him practice the jump , I'd say he was about 95 percent (which matches reports from other practices).

So officially he attempted 2 3A in this FS at 2013 Nationals. The last time he missed both his axels, i.e. if you want to define it as any 3A that got -GOE was Trophee Eric Bompard. But seriously, that is an extreme definition to me and judges still give 3A even with -GOE as long as it's ratified and I'll take it a step further and say landed (no falls). So by that definition, U.S. Nationals 2013 (both were < or <<).

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Oh, I hope it is so! For no other reason than that the world needs to see Jason't Riverdance twice... And if that is not a good reason, than I don't know what is! ;)

For exactly this! I know people who normally don't give a hoot about Figure Skating but they love Jason Browns Riverdance. He is going to be a star!