Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Who will skate in the team event

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by flutzy13 View Post
    I'm okay with it. Gracie's not a sure thing in the LP. Neither is Ashley- see GPF and Nats. It seems like Gracie as US Champion got more say and chose the program she's been training all season. It makes sense.
    But in the previous article Frank Carroll says Gracie would have skated both segments if she got first pick. So....????

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    I'm surprised it went that way with Gracie doing the long, but maybe it's best so Ashley can have that bit of extra time to train the new/old program. And Riverdance twice, woot!!!

Custom Title
    Phil Hersh writes that Ashley and Jeremy will skate the short program http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,5321192.story

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    But in the previous article Frank Carroll says Gracie would have skated both segments if she got first pick. So....????
    Then Gracie, last week in her press conference, was saying she wanted to do one program, ideally the free program as to not tire anyone out and let two ladies partake. I think probably the National champions (with the exception of Castelli & Shnapir) got some say as to preferences but USFS was always putting Ashley in the team event despite whether their official documents make it sound like Gracie as #1 could pick one or both. The only ones who likely truly had complete say were Meryl & Charlie

Custom Title
    Both of their (Ashley & Jeremy) SP's are wonderful - very contemporary music and sleek choreography (nothing "princessy" or OTT drama).

My only gripe with the team event is the timing. It would be nice for all the skaters to fully take part in the opening ceremonies, but I'm sure that some (like Gracie) will be sitting out

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    My only gripe with the team event is the timing. It would be nice for all the skaters to fully take part in the opening ceremonies, but I'm sure that some (like Gracie) will be sitting out
    I think that, of the US team participants, only Jeremy will have completed his portion by the time the opening ceremonies start.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Quick question: is Joubert or Amodio competing in the SP for France (and is that person also competing in the LP if France makes the finals?)
    This is something I'd like to know as well (well, naturally, being a Brian fan), so I second the question. Does anyone know? Also, if he is skating, I wonder which Florent will turn up - but I don't suppose anyone could answer that....

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I think that, of the US team participants, only Jeremy will have completed his portion by the time the opening ceremonies start.
    Right you are! I thought all short programs were Thursday. So we won't see a lot of our skaters in the ceremonies :(
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/figu...ic-competition

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    This is something I'd like to know as well (well, naturally, being a Brian fan), so I second the question. Does anyone know? Also, if he is skating, I wonder which Florent will turn up - but I don't suppose anyone could answer that....
    Might make sense for Joubert to do it. He's been at least more consistent than Amodio, even if he isn't getting the PCS.

On the Ice
    One thing to consider, as far as Ashley skating the SP (and also for her being placed on the team instead of Mirai): The skating order for the SPs in the team event will be based on international ranking (not random draw), with the top skaters going later. Since Ashley's high international ranking was not affected by her subpar results at Nationals, it's entirely likely that she'll be one of the final skaters in the 2nd SP group; much later than Mirai, Polina or even Gracie would have been. So she'll have a chance to see how it's going and decide whther she needs to do 3f-3t or if the better team strategy is 3f-2t. In the LP, the skaters go in reverse order of the SP results. So if Ashley can skate safely and grab a 1st or 2nd, that also sets up Gracie to be able to skate later than most of the others.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxiejan View Post
    One thing to consider, as far as Ashley skating the SP (and also for her being placed on the team instead of Mirai): The skating order for the SPs in the team event will be based on international ranking (not random draw), with the top skaters going later. Since Ashley's high international ranking was not affected by her subpar results at Nationals, it's entirely likely that she'll be one of the final skaters in the 2nd SP group; much later than Mirai, Polina or even Gracie would have been. So she'll have a chance to see how it's going and decide whther she needs to do 3f-3t or if the better team strategy is 3f-2t. In the LP, the skaters go in reverse order of the SP results. So if Ashley can skate safely and grab a 1st or 2nd, that also sets up Gracie to be able to skate later than most of the others.
    Very good point! Perhaps if Mao has a poor SP along with Carolina, she'll only need a decent skate to position herself in 2nd (it's not likely she will be a clean Julia on Russian ice).

Random, but I have a gripe with people who think that Ashley should be given the long in the team event because she needs to get her new program out there. Why on earth should that be any of USFSA's concern? It's not their problem that Ashley couldn't make her old program work and had to do a very risky last-minute change. They will put up whatever skaters will do BEST in each segment, not what makes them most comfortable or gives them the most experience. If anything, I could see them prohibiting Gracie from giving up the long in the team program BECAUSE they don't want Ashley putting a completely unknown program out there when the team medal is on the line. What she does for her own individual success is her own business, but how she skates for the team is everyone's business and putting a brand new program out there could potentially be devastating for a lot of people if she can't pull it off.

I love Ashley, but it makes no sense whatsoever.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Gymfan15 View Post
    Random, but I have a gripe with people who think that Ashley should be given the long in the team event because she needs to get her new program out there. Why on earth should that be any of USFSA's concern? It's not their problem that Ashley couldn't make her old program work and had to do a very risky last-minute change. They will put up whatever skaters will do BEST in each segment, not what makes them most comfortable or gives them the most experience. If anything, I could see them prohibiting Gracie from giving up the long in the team program BECAUSE they don't want Ashley putting a completely unknown program out there when the team medal is on the line. What she does for her own individual success is her own business, but how she skates for the team is everyone's business and putting a brand new program out there could potentially be devastating for a lot of people if she can't pull it off.

I love Ashley, but it makes no sense whatsoever.
    It looks like this won't be an issue, since it is being reported that Ashley will do the SP and Gracie will do the LP.

Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    I'm pretty sure Gracie will be attending the opening ceremonies, with Frank's blessing too. She mentioned in an interview that he wanted her to enjoy the Olympics fully and experience everything she can, especially the opening and closing ceremonies. Team men and ladies free aren't until Sunday morning (EST), so they'll have all of Saturday to recover.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast