Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Skaters with a shot at gold and a medal in each event

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Pretty much this, although it won't surprize me one bit if Julia wins the whole thing.
    Yes, I think this version is a correct "prejudice" and very likely will happen even in the very unlikely case if EVERYBODY skates clean.

Custom Title
    In the "ideal", very unlikely but very much "hoped for" situation if everybody skates clean ( even counting with the recent " reputation points") the chances are:
    Ladies:
    1. Yu-Na Kim
    2. Julia Lipnitskaya
    3.Mao Asada ( if she succesfully goes to 2x 3 Axel, she will be 2nd).

Men:
    1.Patrick Chan
    2.Yuzuru Hanyu
    3.Daisuke Takahashi

Dance:
    1. Davis/White
    2.Virtue/Moir (hate to say and hope to win with a fair PCS ponts judging)
    3.Bobrova/Soloviev (also hate to say but in a different way...)

Pairs:
    1.Voloshozar/Trankov (IF clean I remind you, but they are losing spaces).
    2.Savchenko/Szolkowy
    3.Pang/Tong ( I still would LOVE to see them win, as the most beautifully skating Pairs nowdays...)

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Now that the Games are approaching which skaters do you believe have a shot (even if small) at a)the gold medal, b) a medal of any color, at the Games in the 4 individual disciplines. Here are mine:

Ladies:
    Shots at gold- Kim, Asada, Lipnitskaia
    Shots at as high as silver- Suzuki, Sotnikova
    Shots at bronze- Murakami, Kostner, Gold, Wagner (maybe being generous even including Wagner at this moment)
    Men:
    Shots at gold- Hanyu, Chan, Takahashi (laugh but if he did pull a blinder out of nowhere, and others made mistakes it would be hard to deny him)
    Shots at as high as silver- Machida, Fernandez
    Shots at bronze- Plushenko, Abbott, Ten (if he pulls something out of nowhere again)
    Pairs:
    Shots at gold- Voloszhar & Trankov, Savchenko & Szolkowy
    Shots at as high as silver- Stolbova & Klimkin, Pang & Tong
    Shots at bronze- Duhamel & Radford, Moore-Towers & Moscovitch, Barzova & Larionov
    Dance:
    Shots at gold- Virtue & Moir, Davis & White
    Shots at as high as silver- Nobody else
    Shots at bronze- Weaver & Poje, Pechalat & Bourzat, both top Russian teams, Capellini & Lanotte
    You chose a very good form of forecast presentation !
    I would agree with everything, except for Kostner, Plushenko, Bazarova-Larionov, Capelinni-Lanotte. All these people have no chance even for bronze.
    Also silver for Suzuki is hardly believable.
    And please correct "Klimkin" to "Klimov".

Custom Title
    Ladies:

Shots at bronze- Kostner, Gold, Wagner, Murakami
    Wild card for a medal: Li

Men:

Shots at gold- Hanyu, Chan, Fernandez
    Shots at as high as silver- Takahashi, Machida (he's my darkhorse to win gold, if the others mess up, but realistically he'll get silver at tops)
    Shots at bronze- Abbott, Plushenko, Ten (if any of them go clean in both programs, which I doubt they will)
    Wild card for a medal: Brown

Pairs:

Shots at gold- Volosozhar & Trankov, Savchenko & Szolkowy
    Shots at as high as silver- None; I think the top 2 spots will be a la Ice Dance (I could picture a perfect Canadian team spoiling for silver, but it's highly unlikely)
    Shots at bronze- Pang & Tong, Duhamel & Radford, Moore-Towers & Moscovitch, Stolbova & Klimov (only with perfect skates on home ice)
    Wild card for a medal: Bazarova & Larionov

Dance:

Shots at bronze- Bobrova/Soloviev (who will have to really mess up to lose bronze), Pechalat & Bourzat, Capellini & Lanotte
    Wild card for a medal: Weaver & Poje

Tripping on the Podium
    I'm so excited
    Ladies Favourites in order: Yuna Mao Julia, others in order: Caro, Adelina, Akiko, Grace, Kanako, Ash, Zijun, Kate
    Men Favorites Cha cha chan, Yuzu, Javi Others> Tatsuki, dai, plushy, Jeremy, Jason,
    Dance 1 & 2 Boring everybody knows Charles and Tessa, Battl for bronze probably Bobrova but I would like Nathalie
    Pairs Boring everybodty knows 1 Trankov 2Aliona, 3 I hope pang I love miseraables

Custom Title
    I just found a neat video on Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMuf1MAPHko

What does everyone think of each 3Lutz-3Toe?

Custom Title
    Yuna's is clearly better- I know you are a big Julia fan (duh, I'm a big Yuna fan) but imo, there is no comparison.
    And whoever uploads those vids clearly has an agenda, using Yuna's imagine program for cheap political ploy (do we really want to get into which country has committed the most atrocities, hmm?)

Custom Title
    Yes, Yuna's is clearly better, especially when your comparing in terms of the correct edge. What I was trying to see is if anyone agrees with me that Julia's while lacking the superior height and perhaps speed (we could argue forever about Yuna doing more crossovers vs. Julia doing slightly more transitional movement into it) is getting very close in terms of quality when you look back and compare it to the same combination that she showed only last year. She is definitely closing the gap. Obviously in just over a week, the question will academic as Yuna will be unquestionably one of the greatest skaters of all time while Julia is still only completing her first senior season.

On a different note I finally watched Yuna's programs from the Korean Nationals and I surprised myself by actually enjoying them. The first time I tried to watch the short program I just couldn't appreciate it. Perhaps because I've always heard Send In The Clowns with vocals and sometimes instrumental pieces just can't hold my attention if the instruments don't combine to make a melody that sounds like it's words even if their not there. This time I watched both programs a couple of times if she performs even close to this there's no way she won't win the gold medal. I'm still hoping the Julia will be able to produce two performances like European's and sneak in for the silver though. Sometimes I think I haven't been able to watch Yuna that often even though she clearly been the best particularly at 2010 Olympics is because her skating is too perfect, everything always looks too effortless. I know though, from skating myself for several year and getting to the point of landing double flips, that that is extremely hard. With these two program though, I've finally been able to enjoy watching her.

With Julia's skating while in Juniors even though there were clear imperfections the amount of talent and the way she just made me want to keep watching allowed me to feels more invested in her skating. Now with the two programs she's currently skating the rough edges are beginning to be smoothed away. Some people have said she doesn't (and there are as many different ways to say this as to do it) portray, interpret, skate to the music. To me doesn't project her portrayal of the music outward toward whoever watching so much as she feels the music, shown in her expressions at the beginning and end of the music and in the movement of her body and she pulls you in, feeling what she does. Maybe some of the ones who also feel the same way as me, it's because, like her, we are more introverted than extroverted. I can really ramble when I get started.

By the way, I'm not sure exactly what you meant by the second part of your message so I didn't address it.

Custom Title
    Ladies:

Gold---Yuna Mao Akiko and Julia
    a medal----Li, Gold, Caro

Men:
    Gold---Chan, Hanyu, Javier
    a medal---both other two Japanese skaters, Abbot

Pair:
    Gold V/T, S/S,
    P/T as high as silver , could also off the podium
    a medal; Canadians, P/Z if they do 4T and 4Th.

Dance:
    Gold D/W V/M
    bronze: French or russian or Italian team

Custom Title
    Pairs

Gold and Silver between S squared and V and T

Silver spoiler - Pang and Tong

Bronze : Pang and Tong, K and S, both Canadians and the Italians

MEN

Gold - Hanyu, Daisuke, Chan, Fernandez
    silver and Bronze: Machida, Abbott, Plushenko, Verner, Brezina
    Long Shot for a medal : Joubert

DANCE

Gold and Silver Davis and white v. Virtue and Moir

Bronze: P and b slight faves over B and S, C and L, I and K and Weaver andPoje

LADIES

Gold Yuna

Silver and Bronze mao, Akiko, Carolina, Julia, Ashley, Gracie, Adelina, Murakami

this probably means a skater like Li or Osmond won't even make top ten. Hegellson can probably forget a top ten at the olympics.

Custom Title
    Isabel, I actually did notice the double choctaw entry into Julia's combo, which is much harder than Yu Na's simple, but much more speedy, entry. However, it's undeniable that Yu Na's gets more height, ice coverage and flow, true lutz edge, and is the better combo.

Custom Title
    I also think people are making a mistake in writing W&P off. If they can hit all their levels (a big if with them) they definitely have a shot.
    That's the thing - not only is it a big "if", but it's painfully obvious that B/S will be propped up with their PCS (particularly if they go clean). As I've said before, and continue to maintain, B/S (if they go clean) will win bronze. Heck, they've beaten W/P twice at the GPF and COR this season with falls and generally receive higher PCS.

You're living in a fantasy land if you think W/P will medal instead of B/S or another European team. And trust me, I'd like them to medal and think they deserve it... but at least I'm a realist and know, and always have known, that Russia is gunning for them to cling to bronze. It's as silly as those who think I/K would have had a shot this year, when their inconsistency and B/S' world medal clearly have continued to prop B/S as the top Russian team. Again, I disagree and prefer I/K, but you got to call a spade a spade.

Custom Title
    Julia should ditch the very hard entry into her triple lutz combo. The judges dont credit those unlike it is a very high quality jump, and she has enough issues with a perennial flutz and getting enough height or speed to do that combination really well.
    I agree, but really, the hard entry is the combo's only redeeming factor given the poor height and flow and expected flutz. I doubt she'd perform the jump much better without the transitions.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Ladies:

Shots at bronze- Kostner, Gold, Wagner, Murakami
    Wild card for a medal: Li

Men:

Shots at gold- Hanyu, Chan, Fernandez
    Shots at as high as silver- Takahashi, Machida (he's my darkhorse to win gold, if the others mess up, but realistically he'll get silver at tops)
    Shots at bronze- Abbott, Plushenko, Ten (if any of them go clean in both programs, which I doubt they will)
    Wild card for a medal: Brown

Pairs:

Shots at gold- Volosozhar & Trankov, Savchenko & Szolkowy
    Shots at as high as silver- None; I think the top 2 spots will be a la Ice Dance (I could picture a perfect Canadian team spoiling for silver, but it's highly unlikely)
    Shots at bronze- Pang & Tong, Duhamel & Radford, Moore-Towers & Moscovitch, Stolbova & Klimov (only with perfect skates on home ice)
    Wild card for a medal: Bazarova & Larionov

Dance:

Shots at bronze- Bobrova/Soloviev (who will have to really mess up to lose bronze), Pechalat & Bourzat, Capellini & Lanotte
    Wild card for a medal: Weaver & Poje
    I love your picks especially your wild cards.

Custom Title
    Oh, I do indeed agree that C/L don't stand a chance against B/S. But they're pretty much W/P at this point. As in, a strong team that might deserve to be 3rd if they skate well but won't because B/S will be given bronze regardless... and if not them, then P/B.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast