what discipline is most "up for grabs" at worlds? | Golden Skate

what discipline is most "up for grabs" at worlds?

Most Unpredictable podium?

• Ladies

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Men

Votes: 45 60.8%
  • Pairs

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Dance

Votes: 7 9.5%

• Total voters

lulu

Final Flight
Some years it is easy to predict who will end up on the Worlds podium and what order they will be in. This year there are a lot of so-called "dark horses"

What do you think will be the most unpredictable event at worlds?

Germanice

On the Ice
10 weeks ago I never would've believed to say that ... Mens! It'll be interesting to watch how Brian Joubert copes with his role being a "favourite" now and if his "adviser" ;) can help him. Is staggering Plushenko able to strike back after Euros? Will we see Dr. Sandhu or Emanuel Hyde there? (See them all in Dortmund! Wheee! :) )

Also the Ladies ... the Japanese Ladies are strong and'll hopefully deliever the US girls an appropriate fight! My predict: A Japanese World Champion ... it's about time!!! :D

Pairs: Totmanina & Marinin really impressed me at Euros. They've gotten much stronger presentationwise. Strong enough to win over Shen/Zhao and get the 1st World title?

Dance? Without COP predictable as always ... :rolleye:

Anke

Last edited:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Men's is historically the most open because they rely more on tech and less on presentation than the ladies and pairs.

Last year's podium: 2 are out and the 3rd is vunerable (injury, recent defeats). It's open seson with no less that 6 countires vying (Russia, France, USA, Canada, China, Switzerland).

Ladies: it's all about Russia, USA, Japan. The podium may even replicate last year's exactly.

Pairs: Now we've narrowed it down to 2: China vs. Russia. Podium could also be a replica of last year's here too.

Dance: I have some faith in the Bulgarians, but also pessimism about this discipline. I't hard for me not to dismiss the results as already predetermined right thru 06 worlds.

Well said, Germanice -

The Men - Not so easy as in the past.

Plush - How bad is the knee and is it affecting Him"
Brian - Can he repeat his euros? He had troubles in DC Worlds after doing a fine euros.
Third Place. Whomever you put there I will agree with:laugh:

The Ladies - MK and SC will be battling it out but what if Sokolova is determined to make her mark as she did in Euros. And those Jananese Ladies you just don't rule out. Ando lands the quad and skates heavenly?

The Pairs - Only a mishap will take it away from S&Z. I'm looking for Orsher and Lucash to make a statement.

The Dance - I think the scores are already in.

Joe

Kara Bear

Final Flight
If the dance scores are already in, will someone please tell me what they are. Dance is the one discipline I am excited about this year...I have no idea whats going to hapen beyond first place.

icenut84

Final Flight
I was going to put Mens (it's certainly going to be exciting) but on reading "unpredictable podium", I voted for ladies. There are so many skaters who could make it onto the ladies podium. It'll be fascinating. :)

galka

Rinkside
I wait about impatience of the world championship. That will be from men Plushenko,Joubert,Sandhu.........
Dance? Without COP predictable as always ...
I think, that Albena and Maxim there will be winners

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
I think mens and ladies will be both fairly unpredictable. Plushenko and Michelle are the favorites for gold, but the rest of the podium will definitely depend on which skater will skate better during the three parts of the competition.

I voted Mens, though. Joubert, Klimkin, Sandhu, Lambiel and Weiss are the ones people are betting to win medals but they're not known for consistency and I can see every one of them have only a top 10 if they skate bad. The women are a little more consistent. Fumie usually peaks at Worlds, Sokolova will end up on the podium or top 5 for sure and the lowest I can see Sasha with a bad skate is a 4th place. The order may vary but those are the ones who have more chances to end top 5.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I voted for Men but I think it's both Men & Women. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Sasha but it's a good group of women. We'll just wait and see.

Dee

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I voted for the men because with the injuries to past medalists I think it is wide open & we will see some new & younger faces winning medals. Joubert is certainly in contention but don't dismiss Johnny Weir. I believe he is more consistent than Lambiel or Klimkin or Sandhu. The question mark with Weir is a quad. If the others land their quads but miss their triple axles, etc. then Weir could slip in for a medal. So many possibilities & ifs. For sure, it will be an exciting & surprising competition this year. :love:

sk8er1964

On the Ice
merrywidow said:
I voted for the men because with the injuries to past medalists I think it is wide open & we will see some new & younger faces winning medals. Joubert is certainly in contention but don't dismiss Johnny Weir. I believe he is more consistent than Lambiel or Klimkin or Sandhu. The question mark with Weir is a quad. If the others land their quads but miss their triple axles, etc. then Weir could slip in for a medal. So many possibilities & ifs. For sure, it will be an exciting & surprising competition this year. :love:

merrywidow, you took the words right out of my mouth! ITA with all that you said, and voted for the men too.

Lotta

On the Ice
Men's. With Goebel ( :'( ) and Honda ( :'( ) out of sight, Baboo, Chengjiang, Sandhu, Weir, Weiss, Savoie, and much more will be battling it out with Plushenko leading the way.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Wow, I think they're ALL up for grabs, especially the men's event (with Plushy's injured knee a question mark), but, I voted for dance.......

As far as pairs go, my all time fav discipline, if Totmianina and Marinin can beat Shen and Zhao, all things being equal, more power to them.......but for me, Shen and Zhao have it "all over" any other skating pair currently skating......they are, in my humble opinion........the best.....42

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Definitely the men. Next in line would have to be the ladies, although in this case, the podium is semi-predictable, just not who will win which medal. With the men, there are so many who could stand on the podium that it will just depend on who is "on" that night.

ouridol

On the Ice
Men without a doubt..we've seen Plushy being beaten by 2 different skaters under 2 systems..Emanuel and joubert. OTOH, neither of the 3 has been having a perfect season. I am excited to see what is going to happen, and I wont count Michael Weiss or Johnny weir out either. :)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
With B&K gone the dance disicpline is wide open. D&L have a great opportunity to grab the title if they don't have any mishaps. It will be a close battle with the US team. Go D&L!