Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko declines being Flag Bearer for Russia

Banned

Plushenko declines being Flag Bearer for Russia

" Plushenko: competition schedule will not allow to become a standard-bearer of the Russian national team at the Olympics "

http://itar-tass.com/sport/913671

" It's very flattering to hear and read the opinions of the great athletes that do I need to entrust this honorary role - said Plushenko. - For me it would be a great honor . But competition schedule does not allow to participate in the ceremony . Indeed, the day before the opening of the Games will act in the short program in the team competition , and the next day after the ceremony - in any . "
    this could also add some superstition into it
    it is considered in Russia to be the Torch Bearer to be Bad Luck for you
    as you will not win in the Olympics

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    " Plushenko: competition schedule will not allow to become a standard-bearer of the Russian national team at the Olympics "

http://itar-tass.com/sport/913671

this could also add some superstition into it
    it is considered in Russia to be the Torch Bearer to be Bad Luck for you
    as you will not win in the Olympics
    So, then, how do they get anyone to agree to be the flag-bearer? Do they identify the athlete least likely to medal, and stick him/her with the unwanted job?

A better idea: give me temporary citizenship, and a spot on the curling team. I will sacrifice my Olympics gold medal hopes for Mother Russia. (But only if I get to hang out at the Olympic Village for the duration of the Games. And women curlers are kind of cute ).

Custom Title
    I don't blame him. The ceremony is right in the middle of the team event.

Custom Title
    The team event scheduling makes zero sense. Feels like a last-minute substitute for.... something.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    So, then, how do they get anyone to agree to be the flag-bearer? Do they identify the athlete least likely to medal, and stick him/her with the unwanted job?

A better idea: give me temporary citizenship, and a spot on the curling team. I will sacrifice my Olympics gold medal hopes for Mother Russia. (But only if I get to hang out at the Olympic Village for the duration of the Games. And women curlers are kind of cute ).
    You are just going to get into a mother of trouble not to mention red tape. I think you might want to try to get a job cleaning the rooms or being a flower girl or giving out or selling programs if you really want to be in the eye of the storm lol. Why don`t you try out for some of the teams - some have not been claimed.

Custom Title
    Seriously forget the jinx it would be tiring and the team competition is all around opening ceremony. He is best to win a medal and be picked for closing - that would be a sweet way to say farewell.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Yes, yes, but she gets no turnout, and that toe-point is just atrocious.

(But cute she is, I will admit)

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    With the way the Team Event has been scheduled, I wasn't expecting anybody that was taking part in it to be attending the Opening Ceremony.

Yes, Plushy is the national hero. And it is disappointing that he will not be getting that honour. But, the competition itself is more important than carrying a flag and waving at the fans.

Don't blame the Russian Olympic Committee - blame the eejits who thought it would be a good idea to schedule the Opening Ceremony in the middle of the Team Event.

So, any word on who will actually be carrying it? Will it be Olga Zaitseva?

(Women's biathlon starts 2 days after the Opening Ceremony, so it might be a big enough gap).

CaroLiza_fan

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    He was flagbearer of closing ceremony in Torino I think.
    Team event would have been an awesome party if it was after individuals, the ones who didnt medal would have been excited and the ones who have medaled would be anxious free and maybe skate even better, with no reserve!

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    He was flagbearer of closing ceremony in Torino I think.
    Team event would have been an awesome party if it was after individuals, the ones who didnt medal would have been excited and the ones who have medaled would be anxious free and maybe skate even better, with no reserve!
    YES! Just like the WTT was at the end of last season! I loved the relaxed atmosphere there (and the format, compared to the Olympic Team Event...!)

Very bad scheduling on the IOC's part.

CaroLiza_fan

Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    Don't blame the Russian Olympic Committee - blame the eejits who thought it would be a good idea to schedule the Opening Ceremony in the middle of the Team Event.
    My understanding is that the only way the ISU could convince the IOC to include a team event was if it did not extend the number of days figure skating took up during the regular period of the Olympics. So they came to a compromise wherein the team event could occur, but it had to start before the Opening Ceremonies.

Basically the IOC wasn't hot on the idea of a Team event. I'm not sure I'm so hot on it either to be honest. Would rather see them add synchro. It'll be interesting to see whether this event sticks around for PyeongChang.

Custom Title
    Maybe he can't walk that long........................But the scheduling is pretty challenging.

It's not the walking - as golden411 explained in another thread, it's the standing around waiting for hours.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    It's not the walking - as golden411 explained in another thread, it's the standing around waiting for hours.
    Thanks for your excellent memory, LRK. Yes, in December, we had a good discussion about why some athletes make the tough choice to skip the Opening Ceremony. (See pages 5 and 6 of the Olympic team event thread at the link below.)

One of the most informative posts was this one:
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8hrd View Post
    I have been told by athletes who have been part of Olympic opening ceremonies that they have been up to 9 hours on their feet with very little food and water. That is why in the past the pairs skaters and others who compete on the first couple of days will usually opt out of the opening ceremony. I think a lot of skaters who are in the team event will probably skip the opening ceremony. Sad for them as i always thought when i was younger that all the athletes participated in the opening ceremonies. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    So, then, how do they get anyone to agree to be the flag-bearer? Do they identify the athlete least likely to medal, and stick him/her with the unwanted job? ...
    The issue affects only athletes who are competing within the first couple of days after the Opening Ceremony.
    Among skaters in Vancouver, I believe only those from the pairs discipline really had to face the choice of marching in the Opening Ceremony and risking exhaustion vs. skipping the OC and staying in peak condition for competition.
    The scheduling of the team skating event in Sochi means that team skaters from all disciplines will have to consider sacrificing the Opening Ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by rollerblade View Post
    The team event scheduling makes zero sense. Feels like a last-minute substitute for.... something.
    The team skating event is not a last-minute substitute ... but the elimination of the Compulsory Dance made room in the Olympic schedule for more skating of a different kind.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast