Thread: Plushenko declines being Flag Bearer for Russia

Hybrid View

Banned

Plushenko declines being Flag Bearer for Russia

" Plushenko: competition schedule will not allow to become a standard-bearer of the Russian national team at the Olympics "

http://itar-tass.com/sport/913671

" It's very flattering to hear and read the opinions of the great athletes that do I need to entrust this honorary role - said Plushenko. - For me it would be a great honor . But competition schedule does not allow to participate in the ceremony . Indeed, the day before the opening of the Games will act in the short program in the team competition , and the next day after the ceremony - in any . "
    this could also add some superstition into it
    it is considered in Russia to be the Torch Bearer to be Bad Luck for you
    as you will not win in the Olympics

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    " Plushenko: competition schedule will not allow to become a standard-bearer of the Russian national team at the Olympics "

http://itar-tass.com/sport/913671

this could also add some superstition into it
    it is considered in Russia to be the Torch Bearer to be Bad Luck for you
    as you will not win in the Olympics
    So, then, how do they get anyone to agree to be the flag-bearer? Do they identify the athlete least likely to medal, and stick him/her with the unwanted job?

A better idea: give me temporary citizenship, and a spot on the curling team. I will sacrifice my Olympics gold medal hopes for Mother Russia. (But only if I get to hang out at the Olympic Village for the duration of the Games. And women curlers are kind of cute ).

Custom Title
    I don't blame him. The ceremony is right in the middle of the team event.

Custom Title
    The team event scheduling makes zero sense. Feels like a last-minute substitute for.... something.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    So, then, how do they get anyone to agree to be the flag-bearer? Do they identify the athlete least likely to medal, and stick him/her with the unwanted job?

A better idea: give me temporary citizenship, and a spot on the curling team. I will sacrifice my Olympics gold medal hopes for Mother Russia. (But only if I get to hang out at the Olympic Village for the duration of the Games. And women curlers are kind of cute ).
    You are just going to get into a mother of trouble not to mention red tape. I think you might want to try to get a job cleaning the rooms or being a flower girl or giving out or selling programs if you really want to be in the eye of the storm lol. Why don`t you try out for some of the teams - some have not been claimed.

Custom Title
    Seriously forget the jinx it would be tiring and the team competition is all around opening ceremony. He is best to win a medal and be picked for closing - that would be a sweet way to say farewell.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Yes, yes, but she gets no turnout, and that toe-point is just atrocious.

(But cute she is, I will admit)