Plushenko declines being Flag Bearer for Russia | Golden Skate

Plushenko declines being Flag Bearer for Russia

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
" Plushenko: competition schedule will not allow to become a standard-bearer of the Russian national team at the Olympics "

http://itar-tass.com/sport/913671

" It's very flattering to hear and read the opinions of the great athletes that do I need to entrust this honorary role - said Plushenko. - For me it would be a great honor . But competition schedule does not allow to participate in the ceremony . Indeed, the day before the opening of the Games will act in the short program in the team competition , and the next day after the ceremony - in any . "

this could also add some superstition into it
it is considered in Russia to be the Torch Bearer to be Bad Luck for you
as you will not win in the Olympics

Robeye

Final Flight
" Plushenko: competition schedule will not allow to become a standard-bearer of the Russian national team at the Olympics "

http://itar-tass.com/sport/913671

this could also add some superstition into it
it is considered in Russia to be the Torch Bearer to be Bad Luck for you
as you will not win in the Olympics
So, then, how do they get anyone to agree to be the flag-bearer? Do they identify the athlete least likely to medal, and stick him/her with the unwanted job? ;)

A better idea: give me temporary citizenship, and a spot on the curling team. I will sacrifice my Olympics gold medal hopes for Mother Russia. :biggrin: (But only if I get to hang out at the Olympic Village for the duration of the Games. And women curlers are kind of cute :)).

rollerblade

Record Breaker
The team event scheduling makes zero sense. Feels like a last-minute substitute for.... something.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So, then, how do they get anyone to agree to be the flag-bearer? Do they identify the athlete least likely to medal, and stick him/her with the unwanted job? ;)

A better idea: give me temporary citizenship, and a spot on the curling team. I will sacrifice my Olympics gold medal hopes for Mother Russia. :biggrin: (But only if I get to hang out at the Olympic Village for the duration of the Games. And women curlers are kind of cute :)).

You are just going to get into a mother of trouble not to mention red tape. I think you might want to try to get a job cleaning the rooms or being a flower girl or giving out or selling programs if you really want to be in the eye of the storm lol. Why don`t you try out for some of the teams - some have not been claimed.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Seriously forget the jinx it would be tiring and the team competition is all around opening ceremony. He is best to win a medal and be picked for closing - that would be a sweet way to say farewell.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
With the way the Team Event has been scheduled, I wasn't expecting anybody that was taking part in it to be attending the Opening Ceremony.

Yes, Plushy is the national hero. And it is disappointing that he will not be getting that honour. But, the competition itself is more important than carrying a flag and waving at the fans.

Don't blame the Russian Olympic Committee - blame the eejits who thought it would be a good idea to schedule the Opening Ceremony in the middle of the Team Event.

So, any word on who will actually be carrying it? Will it be Olga Zaitseva?

(Women's biathlon starts 2 days after the Opening Ceremony, so it might be a big enough gap).

CaroLiza_fan

seniorita

Record Breaker
He was flagbearer of closing ceremony in Torino I think.
Team event would have been an awesome party if it was after individuals, the ones who didnt medal would have been excited and the ones who have medaled would be anxious free and maybe skate even better, with no reserve!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
He was flagbearer of closing ceremony in Torino I think.
Team event would have been an awesome party if it was after individuals, the ones who didnt medal would have been excited and the ones who have medaled would be anxious free and maybe skate even better, with no reserve!

YES! Just like the WTT was at the end of last season! I loved the relaxed atmosphere there (and the format, compared to the Olympic Team Event...!)

Very bad scheduling on the IOC's part.

CaroLiza_fan

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Don't blame the Russian Olympic Committee - blame the eejits who thought it would be a good idea to schedule the Opening Ceremony in the middle of the Team Event.

My understanding is that the only way the ISU could convince the IOC to include a team event was if it did not extend the number of days figure skating took up during the regular period of the Olympics. So they came to a compromise wherein the team event could occur, but it had to start before the Opening Ceremonies.

Basically the IOC wasn't hot on the idea of a Team event. I'm not sure I'm so hot on it either to be honest. Would rather see them add synchro. It'll be interesting to see whether this event sticks around for PyeongChang.

noskates

Record Breaker
Maybe he can't walk that long........................But the scheduling is pretty challenging.

LRK

Record Breaker
It's not the walking - as golden411 explained in another thread, it's the standing around waiting for hours.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It's not the walking - as golden411 explained in another thread, it's the standing around waiting for hours.

Thanks for your excellent memory, LRK. Yes, in December, we had a good discussion about why some athletes make the tough choice to skip the Opening Ceremony. (See pages 5 and 6 of the Olympic team event thread at the link below.)

One of the most informative posts was this one:
I have been told by athletes who have been part of Olympic opening ceremonies that they have been up to 9 hours on their feet with very little food and water. That is why in the past the pairs skaters and others who compete on the first couple of days will usually opt out of the opening ceremony. I think a lot of skaters who are in the team event will probably skip the opening ceremony. Sad for them as i always thought when i was younger that all the athletes participated in the opening ceremonies. ...

So, then, how do they get anyone to agree to be the flag-bearer? Do they identify the athlete least likely to medal, and stick him/her with the unwanted job? ;) ...

The issue affects only athletes who are competing within the first couple of days after the Opening Ceremony.
Among skaters in Vancouver, I believe only those from the pairs discipline really had to face the choice of marching in the Opening Ceremony and risking exhaustion vs. skipping the OC and staying in peak condition for competition.
The scheduling of the team skating event in Sochi means that team skaters from all disciplines will have to consider sacrificing the Opening Ceremony.

The team event scheduling makes zero sense. Feels like a last-minute substitute for.... something.

The team skating event is not a last-minute substitute ... but the elimination of the Compulsory Dance made room in the Olympic schedule for more skating of a different kind.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
My understanding is that the only way the ISU could convince the IOC to include a team event was if it did not extend the number of days figure skating took up during the regular period of the Olympics. So they came to a compromise wherein the team event could occur, but it had to start before the Opening Ceremonies.

Basically the IOC wasn't hot on the idea of a Team event. I'm not sure I'm so hot on it either to be honest. Would rather see them add synchro. It'll be interesting to see whether this event sticks around for PyeongChang.

Adding synchro would be Major Cool. :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
IMO, he would have been a suitable choice for flagbearer until his comments about Kovtun.

Anyone who throws another competitor, let alone his fellow compatriot, under the bus by blaming and criticizing their past failures, is simply undeserving of the honour of being a flagbearer.

Big Deal

Final Flight
IMO, he would have been a suitable choice for flagbearer until his comments about Kovtun.

Anyone who throws another competitor, let alone his fellow compatriot, under the bus by blaming and criticizing their past failures, is simply undeserving of the honour of being a flagbearer.

He always has been unsporty and arrogant. Remember the "sword-taking" gesture after his short program in Vancouver and the way he jumped on the empty top of the podium BEFORE the Olympic Champion Lysacek was called to step up there.... BRRRRRRRRRRR.... just sadly uneducated way to react.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
He always has been unsporty and arrogant. Remember the "sword-taking" gesture after his short program in Vancouver and the way he jumped on the empty top of the podium BEFORE the Olympic Champion Lysacek was called to step up there.... BRRRRRRRRRRR.... just sadly uneducated way to react.

I actually thought was humorous of him. Although, correct me if I'm wrong, he said in interviews that he did that because he thought for a moment that he had won or forgot that he hadn't won or something to that effect. You can bet if it the results were reversed and Lysacek, thinking he should have won, did that to Plushenko, he would have been flayed for being disrespectful.