Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko declines being Flag Bearer for Russia

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
    My understanding is that the only way the ISU could convince the IOC to include a team event was if it did not extend the number of days figure skating took up during the regular period of the Olympics. So they came to a compromise wherein the team event could occur, but it had to start before the Opening Ceremonies.

Basically the IOC wasn't hot on the idea of a Team event. I'm not sure I'm so hot on it either to be honest. Would rather see them add synchro. It'll be interesting to see whether this event sticks around for PyeongChang.
    Adding synchro would be Major Cool.

Just let Smirnov to carry it.

Custom Title
    IMO, he would have been a suitable choice for flagbearer until his comments about Kovtun.

Anyone who throws another competitor, let alone his fellow compatriot, under the bus by blaming and criticizing their past failures, is simply undeserving of the honour of being a flagbearer.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    IMO, he would have been a suitable choice for flagbearer until his comments about Kovtun.

Anyone who throws another competitor, let alone his fellow compatriot, under the bus by blaming and criticizing their past failures, is simply undeserving of the honour of being a flagbearer.
    He always has been unsporty and arrogant. Remember the "sword-taking" gesture after his short program in Vancouver and the way he jumped on the empty top of the podium BEFORE the Olympic Champion Lysacek was called to step up there.... BRRRRRRRRRRR.... just sadly uneducated way to react.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdeal View Post
    He always has been unsporty and arrogant. Remember the "sword-taking" gesture after his short program in Vancouver and the way he jumped on the empty top of the podium BEFORE the Olympic Champion Lysacek was called to step up there.... BRRRRRRRRRRR.... just sadly uneducated way to react.
    I actually thought was humorous of him. Although, correct me if I'm wrong, he said in interviews that he did that because he thought for a moment that he had won or forgot that he hadn't won or something to that effect. You can bet if it the results were reversed and Lysacek, thinking he should have won, did that to Plushenko, he would have been flayed for being disrespectful.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Adding synchro would be Major Cool.
    I never understood why Synchro isn't in the Olympics when Synchronized Swimming is. Arguably, it's a nice addition as it includes a lot of countries like Finland and Sweden that aren't typical figure skating superpowers.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    No he hadnt said anything about the podium hop on hop off in any interview and I m guessing PChan and S.Moir would be undeserving flag bearers also?
    Last edited by seniorita; 01-27-2014 at 05:06 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    No he hadnt said anything about the podium hop on hop off in any interview and I m guessing PChan and S.Moir would be undeserving flag bearers also?
    Based on their past statements, they would be undeserving, in my mind -- or rather, there are many more Canadian athletes who are more deserving. At least they've never bashed any skater (let alone their Canadian teammates) to the extent Plushenko denigrated Kovtun.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdeal View Post
    He's not unsporting or arrogant. He walked continuously over the top. How dare he be happy about his performance in the sp! Do you hate fist pumping too? False lie filled press in North America is horrible! Just Cold War hate continued?

Custom Title
    I actually thought was humorous of him. Although, correct me if I'm wrong, he said in interviews that he did that because he thought for a moment that he had won or forgot that he hadn't won or something to that effect. You can bet if it the results were reversed and Lysacek, thinking he should have won, did that to Plushenko, he would have been flayed for being disrespectful.
    No I doubt it! NA probably wouldve launched a campaign trying to get lysacek the gold like sale Pelletier and he would've gotten it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    No I doubt it! NA probably wouldve launched a campaign trying to get lysacek the gold like sale Pelletier and he would've gotten it.
    If Lysacek had made an error (which is the only way he would have lost the gold) then he wouldn't have had a legitimate case for the gold over a clean Plushenko. S/P certainly had a legitimate case given that B/S had an error while they went clean. Also, there was that whole French judge thing... but obviously negligible.

People didn't create as much of a stink after Lysacek's win, because even without a quad, the fact is that he still went clean. Not to mention, Plushenko had already had an Olympic gold medal at that point, so it's not exactly like people were weeping over him not getting a second one (particularly when he left points on the table).

Custom Title
    He's not unsporting or arrogant. He walked continuously over the top. How dare he be happy about his performance in the sp! Do you hate fist pumping too? False lie filled press in North America is horrible! Just Cold War hate continued?
    Hah, "walked continuously over the top". Seriously? He shook hands with Daisuke and then decided to step on the gold podium on his way to the silver podium. Which, you know, all the other silver medalists did.

Riiiiiight.

Custom Title
    Plushenko didn't think he was leaving points on the table because of the fact that he was doing a quad which had all the value of a double toe or even loop built in to his Tes already. He was 6.0 thinking in a way because he was scoring himself against others and not doing cop enough. Because obviously he didn't do a 3 jump combo all season and had no plans or intentions ever to do one.

Custom Title
    Hah, "walked continuously over the top". Seriously? He shook hands with Daisuke and then decided to step on the gold podium on his way to the silver podium. Which, you know, all the other silver medalists did.

Riiiiiight.
    It was a continuous walk not a demonstration that was being implied by he original post of "jumped on"

Custom Title
    It was a continuous walk not a demonstration that was being implied by he original post of "jumped on"
    He jumped on it. Everyone acknowledged it, including the IOC President. Here's a picture. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/olym...pointment.html No other silver medalist behaved that way (as in stepped on the top step on their way to the silver spot). They shake the hands of the bronze medalist, walk over to the silver platform and step on that. I think we should just accept it as him trying to be funny, and maybe making light of his disappointment (he certainly wasn't as bad as Surya), but let's call a spade a spade here.

The man has a lot of pride (which is fine), and isn't exactly the most sportsman-like (and yes, neither is Chan or Moir). But 2010 Olympics behaviour aside, what he said about Kovtun was totally uncalled for and very un-Olympic.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast