Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko declines being Flag Bearer for Russia

Custom Title
    He may not be physically able to carry it.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    ^lol, that is the best!!!
    Selective memory much? chan has big mouthed about fellow skaters, but I dont mind and I certainly wouldn't question his right to carry the flag, and by the way I think it is only cool when skaters do and he is a very worthy flag bearer, he s a great athlete of Canada and he has dominated FS. Plushenko would have been a great flag bearer, and was also proposed from co athletes for this.

Also Plyshenko said Kovtun messed up at worlds and they ended with one spot again while at his age was bringing medals and spots for Russia, hardly as bashing as Kovtun questioning his pcs and adding Hanyu pcs of his nationals too!!!He didn't changed his twitter status to team Olympics as well! There were certain journalists who were having Tarasova's propaganda begire RN , with everything being written I was expecting plush to tell them even worse.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    IMO, he would have been a suitable choice for flagbearer until his comments about Kovtun.

Anyone who throws another competitor, let alone his fellow compatriot, under the bus by blaming and criticizing their past failures, is simply undeserving of the honour of being a flagbearer.

Don't you really know what is happening outside Canada, in Russia? As Senorita said, it was Kovtun first criticize Plushenko after Russian National. It is part of Tarassova's campaign against Plushenko to send Kovtun to Sochi. And also Yagudin takes part to it blaming Plushenko every time he talks or writes. So, Plushenko is only a gentlemen don't answer in a worse way. And what he said? Only that for Oly is necessary an expert skater. What else said? I don't understand, sorry. He has so many pressure. Haters in Russia, out of Russia, surgery, age, etc.. Please he's a great athlete and deserve at least to be informed before criticize him.

Also Chan, before Vancouver had a big mouth blaming Plushenko and Joubert, don't you remember? Now he's diplomatic. But I never mind it.

Anyway, come back to the topic, i think organisation's schedule is not good! I'm so sorry about it!!

Custom Title
    As I mentioned in my post I wouldn't find Chan or Moir suitable flag bearers for their remarks either.

And I don't think Kovtun criticized Plushenko the way Plushenko did. Plushenko didn't just mention he thinks someone with more international experience should go, he brought up Kovtun's Worlds result and only getting one spot. It's mud-flinging. Kovtun could have easily said he's more cut out based on Plushenko's error packed FS, and lack of international competition this year.

Custom Title
    I don't really think that either Plushy's, Patrick's or Scott Moir's possible personalities - I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that most of us don't actually know them personally - should be the deciding factor in whom to choose as flag-bearer. But rather their records as athletes. We're talking about them possibly carrying a flag - I don't think it's really important whether one would wish them to come home for tea and cookies, or marry into one's family. Personally, I'm as far from a Chan fan as you could get - and I don't watch ice dance at all. Nonetheless, I'd actually be tickled pink if either Chan or Moir were chosen as flag-bearers. I think it would be a great thing for the sport we all love - whatever other differences we may have.

ETA & somewhat OT but... I've seen that Elene G has been chosen as flag-bearer for Georgia and Javi for Spain! Yay!

Custom Title
    I think part of being an athlete is respecting others in your sport, and showing sportsmanship. When you're from Canada or Russia with a couple hundred athletes, it's not like there's a shortage of candidates.

Custom Title
    But who is going to be the arbitrator of what is permissable or not? You? Me? Who?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    But who is going to be the arbitrator of what is permissable or not? You? Me? Who?
    Probably each country's Olympic committee. They certainly look at a variety of factors, but IMO bottom line is that a flag bearer is representative of a nation's athletes so you want somebody who is a good role model that embodies Olympic ideals, sportsmanship being one of them. Some countries obviously go for the athlete who is most popular or has had the best athletic performances. There are a variety of factors. Sportsmanship needing to be a factor is just my opinion, but I'm sure several countries take that into account when making their selection.

Great to hear about Elene and Javi! Hah, now Brian has two flagbearers as well.

Custom Title
    ETA & somewhat OT but... I've seen that Elene G has been chosen as flag-bearer for Georgia and Javi for Spain! Yay!
    and Stagniunas for Lithuania!

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure that the Team USA athletes at each Games vote amongst themselves for who will be their flagbearers.
    And that the same is true for some other countries.
    Whether it is true for all countries, I do not know.

... I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that most of us don't actually know them personally ... I don't think it's really important whether one would wish them to come home for tea and cookies, or marry into one's family. ...
    Agree that most of us don't know the three skaters personally.

That said, I would be happy to have tea and cookies with Scott and Patrick or for them to marry my nieces. And not because of their world titles, but because of who they are off the ice.
    I would be thrilled if one of them is chosen as a flagbearer for the Closing Ceremony -- although in Scott's case, I hope that Tessa and he both would have the honor together.

Plushenko may be a bada$$ when it comes to his male rivals, but I have seen him interact with the ladies at various events, and he is the soul of gallantry.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Plushenko may be a bada$$ when it comes to his male rivals, but I have seen him interact with the ladies at various events, and he is the soul of gallantry.
    Me and my friend were big fans of his and met him at 2003 Worlds and he was very friendly and nice. Sure, he won so he was likely in a good mood, but still it was a nice experience for us.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Agree that most of us don't know the three skaters personally.

That said, I would be happy to have tea and cookies with Scott and Patrick or for them to marry my nieces. And not because of their world titles, but because of who they are off the ice.
    I would be thrilled if one of them is chosen as a flagbearer for the Closing Ceremony -- although in Scott's case, I hope that Tessa and he both would have the honor together.
    Oh, I think that would be wonderful! I do hope that more skaters can be flag bearers at the Closing Ceremony, when they can accept to do so freely!

And I do not think that some scattered remarks should be sufficient to define anyone as a human being. Besides, I don't really know what anyone has said that is (supposed to be) so heinous. But I didn't want to get into that. Obviously I don't think that Plushy is A Bad Person. And I don't see why I should suspect either Patrick or Scott of being so either.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    We are talking about Plusheno, who has lived the russian dream, who left at age 11 with no money to train with Mishin as a wunderkid, has stayed in Russia for all his life and with same coach, has brought popularity inside Russia, 90% of young skaters are copying him and his haircut, he is famous outside Russia too, will be in his 4th Olympics and has earned a tone of medals, most of them gold, has come back time after time, I m guessing unless you spend time reading the yellow press and what he said where, he pretty much represents what Russia would want to promote as a role model when it comes to sports.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    We are talking about Plusheno, who has lived the russian dream, who left at age 11 with no money to train with Mishin as a wunderkid, has stayed in Russia for all his life and with same coach, has brought popularity inside Russia, 90% of young skaters are copying him and his haircut, he is famous outside Russia too, will be in his 4th Olympics and has earned a tone of medals, most of them gold, has come back time after time, I m guessing unless you spend time reading the yellow press and what he said where, he pretty much represents what Russia would want to promote as a role model when it comes to sports.
    Indeed. And these are tangible things, and results. My main point is that what someone may think is acceptable to say, and what not, is so highly subjective. I mean, if each athlete who is chosen to be a flag bearer, had their entire history searched with a fine tooth comb for some utterance that may, perhaps, by someone or other, be judged as iffy... (shrug)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast