Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 71

Thread: The Real Problem with Ashley and Mirai (A cranky rant)

  1. #31
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Isabel_O'Reilly View Post
    I agree a little bit with what you said but don't bash how Mirai did at 4CC when she was very ill and after she flew from Japan to the US and then to Taipei in a week. I'm sure if this was not her only opportunity to skate at an international championship this season she would have skipped it.
    Why do we always hear this same excuse when she skates so poorly. Just like last year at Nationals. If she is so ill, the smart thing would be to withdraw.

  2. #32
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8's View Post
    Why do we always hear this same excuse when she skates so poorly. Just like last year at Nationals. If she is so ill, the smart thing would be to withdraw.
    Maybe the smart thing but she would have lost her only chance to compete in a international championship this season. If she withdrew she would not have the chance to compete again unless something awful happens and she skates at the Olympics or Worlds.

  3. #33
    ♥ My Mirai's Golden Pond ♥ Sasha'sSpins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    She most definitely skated the entire 2010-2011 season with personality and emotion (especially the Witches SP). It was in 2011-2012 with the awful Spartacus program and awkward tango that she really started retreating into a shell... hopefully next season she'll have more inspired programs and express more.
    That's also about when Mirai's body changed again from 2010-2012. She literally hit two growth spurts, first in 2009, then after 2011. With UR issues that were already there it can't have been easy to try to correct them while adjusting once again to a new frame. Hopefully, now that she seems settled into her more mature figure she'll start addressing these with a new zeal. Hopefully.

  4. #34
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    409
    I like her a lot, but I don't see her becoming a contender for World titles. But she at least showed some personality and I liked her tough, sassy persona (as opposed to the dying swans, juliets, sleeping beauties, etc. that everyone else does).

    What's sad is that last year and earlier this year I would've thought Ashley was a serious contender for a bronze medal--and possibly the front runner (with all due respect to Carolina, Akiko, whichever Russian girl was peaking at the moment, etc.)

    After seeing how she handled the pressure of nationals, I think she'll be lucky to get into the final group.

    My prediction: Gracie around #6, Polina around #8 and Ashley around #10. If Mirai were there, she'd probably be even worse.

    Hope I'm wrong--but it could be even worse.

  5. #35
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodlepal View Post
    I like her a lot, but I don't see her becoming a contender for World titles. But she at least showed some personality and I liked her tough, sassy persona (as opposed to the dying swans, juliets, sleeping beauties, etc. that everyone else does).

    What's sad is that last year and earlier this year I would've thought Ashley was a serious contender for a bronze medal--and possibly the front runner (with all due respect to Carolina, Akiko, whichever Russian girl was peaking at the moment, etc.)

    After seeing how she handled the pressure of nationals, I think she'll be lucky to get into the final group.

    My prediction: Gracie around #6, Polina around #8 and Ashley around #10. If Mirai were there, she'd probably be even worse.

    Hope I'm wrong--but it could be even worse.
    I'm not an Ashley or Polina fan, but Polina finishing ahead of Ashley? That's as likely as Akiko Suzuki winning this thing. I think Gracie could place the highest of the Americans, perhaps cracking top 5 even, but Polina has next to no senior international reputation and will not receive the same PCS as she did at Nats. I do not see US ladies on the podium. Their best bet is a team medal. I do agree with you about the general problems though with our US ladies.

  6. #36
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Danibellerika View Post
    I'm not an Ashley or Polina fan, but Polina finishing ahead of Ashley? That's as likely as Akiko Suzuki winning this thing. I think Gracie could place the highest of the Americans, perhaps cracking top 5 even, but Polina has next to no senior international reputation and will not receive the same PCS as she did at Nats. I do not see US ladies on the podium. Their best bet is a team medal. I do agree with you about the general problems though with our US ladies.
    ITA. I see Gracie around 4th or 5th at her absolute best, Ashley around 5th to 7th, and Polina below 10th. One must remember that there are AT LEAST 10 ladies with previous senior experience who can (and probably will) out-do Polina: Yuna, Mao, Caro, Julia, Adelina, Gracie, Ashley, Akiko, Kanako, Zijun, and Kaetlyn.

  7. #37
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    That's also about when Mirai's body changed again from 2010-2012. She literally hit two growth spurts, first in 2009, then after 2011. With UR issues that were already there it can't have been easy to try to correct them while adjusting once again to a new frame. Hopefully, now that she seems settled into her more mature figure she'll start addressing these with a new zeal. Hopefully.
    She's been settled in that mature figure for two or three seasons and there's been no improvement. She's getting to a point where she needs a miracle to fix that. :(

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    ITA. I see Gracie around 4th or 5th at her absolute best, Ashley around 5th to 7th, and Polina below 10th. One must remember that there are AT LEAST 10 ladies with previous senior experience who can (and probably will) out-do Polina: Yuna, Mao, Caro, Julia, Adelina, Gracie, Ashley, Akiko, Kanako, Zijun, and Kaetlyn.
    The U.S girls will have a way better shot to medal at Worlds, especialy Wagner and Gold. Kim, Kostner, and maybe Asada not there, and now getting to face Julia and Adelina on neutral ice rather than Russian ice (although now having to face Suzuki, Murakami and possibly Asada on Japanese Ice, with likely equally home cooked scoring). Who knows, there could be 2 U.S medals at Worlds, maybe a silver and bronze, but highly unlikely there will be any U.S medal at the Games in ladies.

  9. #39
    Best comeback EVOR! zamboni step's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    The U.S girls will have a way better shot to medal at Worlds, especialy Wagner and Gold. Kim, Kostner, and maybe Asada not there, and now getting to face Julia and Adelina on neutral ice rather than Russian ice (although now having to face Suzuki, Murakami and possibly Asada on Japanese Ice, with likely equally home cooked scoring). Who knows, there could be 2 U.S medals at Worlds, maybe a silver and bronze, but highly unlikely there will be any U.S medal at the Games in ladies.
    I doubt any of the US ladies will be beating Julia, and probably not Sotnikova at this rate. I think this is Russia's turn to medal, US will have it's chance in the future. I'm pretty sure the future US team will be Gracie, Karen and Polina/Courtney (if she cleans her PCS up).

  10. #40
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni step View Post
    I doubt any of the US ladies will be beating Julia, and probably not Sotnikova at this rate. I think this is Russia's turn to medal, US will have it's chance in the future. I'm pretty sure the future US team will be Gracie, Karen and Polina/Courtney (if she cleans her PCS up).
    FWIW, Gracie's beat Adelina at every event they've skated in together (except 2012 WTT).

    And both Polina and Karen are young -- we've yet to see how they cope with puberty. Will they make relatively graceful physical transitions, like Mao and Yuna, or will they get hammered by drastic body changes like Mirai?

  11. #41
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    san diego, california
    Posts
    61
    regarding mirai: i would imagine failing to be selected for the team and all the controversy since then has taken its toll on her self-confidence, too. i would find it hard to concentrate on this b-comp if i'd had my dreams dashed and still be expected to bring it a few weeks later.

    i would agree with those who stated that the USFSA is rather "old school." they were late to the game in terms of implementing CoP in the first place, and the training programs in japan and russia are just that much stronger right now. perhaps we'll see the pendulum swing again.

  12. #42
    Custom Title chapis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    México
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    The U.S girls will have a way better shot to medal at Worlds, especialy Wagner and Gold. Kim, Kostner, and maybe Asada not there, and now getting to face Julia and Adelina on neutral ice rather than Russian ice (although now having to face Suzuki, Murakami and possibly Asada on Japanese Ice, with likely equally home cooked scoring). Who knows, there could be 2 U.S medals at Worlds, maybe a silver and bronze, but highly unlikely there will be any U.S medal at the Games in ladies.
    Mao definitly going to be at worlds 2014, she said it.

  13. #43
    Best comeback EVOR! zamboni step's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    FWIW, Gracie's beat Adelina at every event they've skated in together (except 2012 WTT).

    And both Polina and Karen are young -- we've yet to see how they cope with puberty. Will they make relatively graceful physical transitions, like Mao and Yuna, or will they get hammered by drastic body changes like Mirai?
    Gracie hasn't skated against Adelina this season, and I think everyone will agree Adelina is skating far better this season. I also think it's important to remember that Adelina's personal best even excluding 2014 Euros is far superior to Gracie's.

  14. #44
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    It remains to be seen if these 13, 14 year old Russian girls will even be around in 3 years or simply flame out like most do.
    But if those phenoms hit in an Olympic year and win OGM, I mean Tara lipinski wasn't exactly a post-pubescent woman, it could be said she was just a 2 year wonder kid in the sport. But no one says Tara was just a little girl that managed be in the right spot at the right time--- they say she's Olympic champion.

  15. #45
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni step View Post
    Gracie hasn't skated against Adelina this season, and I think everyone will agree Adelina is skating far better this season. I also think it's important to remember that Adelina's personal best even excluding 2014 Euros is far superior to Gracie's.
    The general consensus is that the scoring at Europeans is very inflated when compared to other major international competitions ... and one can't really compare scores across events anyway. We can only evaluate Gracie and Adelina side-by-side through the times they've directly competed against each other, and Gracie has come out on top all but once.

    Plus, throwing out both Euros, Adelina's PB is 189.81 at the 2013 Trophee Eric Bompard, which is only marginally higher than Gracie's 188.03 at 2013 WTT.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •