Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Real Problem with Ashley and Mirai (A cranky rant)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    Polina getting silver medal is the biggest proof that us ladies are not in a very good moment.
    With her jumps, if the judges are going to give her Ashley-level PCS (and more than Mirai), Polina is always going to place highly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    The general consensus is that the scoring at Europeans is very inflated when compared to other major international competitions ... and one can't really compare scores across events anyway. We can only evaluate Gracie and Adelina side-by-side through the times they've directly competed against each other, and Gracie has come out on top all but once.

Plus, throwing out both Euros, Adelina's PB is 189.81 at the 2013 Trophee Eric Bompard, which is only marginally higher than Gracie's 188.03 at 2013 WTT.
    Given that the Games are in Russia we shouldnt throw out Euros, as I fear the Russian advantage will be almost as much (maybe not quite, but almost, and probably a closer gap to Euros advantage than regular scoring) as the perennial European skaters European Championships score boost.

Right now I think Adelina is likely to place higher at the Games than Gold, but you are right that thus far Gold tends to come out ahead when the two meet.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    With her jumps, if the judges are going to give her Ashley-level PCS (and more than Mirai), Polina is always going to place highly.
    The question is if she deserved PCS like that. I think absolutely not, even at Nationals, but oh well. Perhaps the USFSA has decided she is the one they want to push. I dont want to take away from her, as she did skate well, but before Nationals I would have thought her only hope to make the team was all of Nagasu, Cesario, Agnes, etc...to bomb, and the judges sure took to her more than I expected; and far more than international judges at the Senior level will at this point.

Custom Title
    I agree. The Judges seem to reward the skaters who can do the jumps, more than anything else. The thing is, if a skater has a good Technical foundation the rest comes more easily. Polina can do the jumps and that is half the battle.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8's View Post
    I agree. The Judges seem to reward the skaters who can do the jumps, more than anything else. The thing is, if a skater has a good Technical foundation the rest comes more easily. Polina can do the jumps and that is half the battle.
    The USFSA judges, yes. But it doesn't always work out. Remember Kimmie Meissner?

I think Gracie has a great deal of potential. Last year was her first year at the senior level, right? I think she has a promising future.

Even Michelle didn't win her first nationals until her 3rd try. Of course 1994 had no actual winner, so . . .

Custom Title
    Why do we always hear this same excuse when she skates so poorly. Just like last year at Nationals. If she is so ill, the smart thing would be to withdraw.
    Yes, Mirai is starting to remind me of Angela Nikodinov when it comes to one reason after another for not doing well at a competition. All the reasons may be true, but... If you are going to get to the top of the podium in figure skating, you have to put yourself in a position to win. I think this is one reason that Frank Carroll is having so much sucess. And has had for quite some time. You don't hear Carroll skaters flying around the world the week before the skate and various other logistical nightmares that make it difficult to skate. There's a certain amount (a lot) of discipline required to do well at the top of this sport, and skaters have to put themselves in the position to have the best chance of winning before they even set foot on competition ice. In some cases you have to wonder if this is happening.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    Polina getting silver medal is the biggest proof that us ladies are not in a very good moment.
    I thoroughly disagree. Other than the fall in the FS, she posted excellent technical content including 3Z+3T in both programs. Still not soup yet, but you look at skaters like Michelle Kwan when she broke out on the scene and went to her first Worlds and I'd personally put Polina up there with that in terms of technical ability and potential.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    The USFSA judges, yes. But it doesn't always work out. Remember Kimmie Meissner?
    Polina jumps more like Gracie so she is more likely to keep her jumps, although nothing is guaranteed. Kimmie tended not to jump "up" as much so when she got hips her spinny technique made it difficult.

Custom Title
    Polina jumps more like Gracie so she is more likely to keep her jumps, although nothing is guaranteed. Kimmie tended not to jump "up" as much so when she got hips her spinny technique made it difficult.
    No one said she jumped like Polina. The point is, she was once the hope of USFSA because she could jump. Eventually, her flawed technique came to light. But when she first came up, it looked like she had triple-triples and a triple axel.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Here's a scenario we could hope for, but is probably just pure fantasy. Ashley conjures up some magic and pulls out the bronze at the Olys. Then withdrawals from worlds out of exhaustion (or whatever) and Mirai gets a chance to skate there in a comfortable setting in her new (if not temporary) home country.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    Here's a scenario we could hope for, but is probably just pure fantasy. Ashley conjures up some magic and pulls out the bronze at the Olys. Then withdrawals from worlds out of exhaustion (or whatever) and Mirai gets a chance to skate there in a comfortable setting in her new (if not temporary) home country.
    I don't hope for that. Ashley and Gracie at their very best would be the only shot of the US keeping 3 Worlds spots.

Custom Title
    At Nationals it wasn't just about the jumps. While agree that Polina is still Jrish, at Nationals there were points during Mirai's LP when I couldn't figure out what she was doing because she was looking like she was going to stop skating. I couldn't figure out if she was injured or had a boot problem. She certainly wasn't doing any choreography. Stuff like that does not lead to high PCS.

Custom Title
    Apparently Mirai was taking 'rest' stops when she felt fatigued, and the music was cut in a way that allowed her to do it. Unfortunately, she wound up going overtime and got a time deduction.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    I don't hope for that. Ashley and Gracie at their very best would be the only shot of the US keeping 3 Worlds spots.
    That's a very good point.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast