Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Michelle Kwan's Husband running for RI Governor

Medalist

Michelle Kwan's Husband running for RI Governor

Did anybody else catch this? According to ABC, it appears Clay Pell will be running for RI Governor. Wishing Michelle and her new family the best as they start a new adventure!

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...i-gov-22227405

Custom Title
    Forget him, she should run.

Custom Title
    Michelle used to contribute to the Republican Party. Another Maitlin/Carvell couple ?

Eh, mixed political couples are more common than you think. I think it makes things interesting.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    Did anybody else catch this? According to ABC, it appears Clay Pell will be running for RI Governor. Wishing Michelle and her new family the best as they start a new adventure!

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...i-gov-22227405
    This thread belongs in the politics section. The Edge is confined to discussions relating exclusively to figure skating issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    This thread belongs in the politics section. The Edge is confined to discussions relating exclusively to figure skating issues.
    I think a thread like this could veer into politics but in of itself I don't think it is.

I have visions of 'First Lady, Michelle Kwan - Pell' (not sure if Michelle took her husband's surname) dancing in my head.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    Well, we have had previous discussions in The Edge (and in Fan Fests) of Pell's intention to run for governor. Although those threads have discussed his family's prominence in the Democratic party, I don't think they ever got into any details of what Pell's platform positions are or will be.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterB View Post
    Forget him, she should run.

Imagine she becomes a president, invades or bombs middle eastern country.

Custom Title
    One word: Wow!

Good luck Michelle Kwan's husband.. emm.... I mean Clay Pell

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Michelle used to contribute to the Republican Party. Another Maitlin/Carvell couple ?
    Michelle ("I'm a figure skater not a politician") has served in the State Department under two presidents, Bush and Obama, and three secretaries of state, Condonleezza Rice (R), Hilary Clinton (D) and John Kerry (D). I don't think think political partisanship is her thing. Dr. Rice was her first mentor, now she serves on initiatives headed by Michelle Obama.

Clay Pell is totally going to win this. Whoever wins the Democratic primary will win the election. (By the way, the likely Republican candidate has a background similar to Michelle's -- his parents immigrated from Hong Kong to the U.S. and he pulled himself up by his bootstraps as a first generation American.) The other two Democrats in the race are in trouble with traditional Democratic voter blocs such as organized labor and the education lobby, plus Pell apparently has the backing of many of the old guard politicians in Rhode Island politics.

I have always said I see her with him to be a power couple in DC. Michelle has been a millionaire since a teenager. And an "LA Girl." I see him as more down to earth and less in love with the spotlight. Michelle loves the spotlight, that's a fact. In American politics, one must be very good looking charismatic to reach president. I see him topping out as a senator, but never president. RI is a nice state. I can see her having fun as first lady.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Michelle ("I'm a figure skater not a politician") has served in the State Department under two presidents, Bush and Obama, and three secretaries of state, Condonleezza Rice (R), Hilary Clinton (D) and John Kerry (D). I don't think think political partisanship is her thing. Dr. Rice was her first mentor, now she serves on initiatives headed by Michelle Obama.

Clay Pell is totally going to win this. Whoever wins the Democratic primary will win the election. (By the way, the likely Republican candidate has a background similar to Michelle's -- his parents immigrated from Hong Kong to the U.S. and he pulled himself up by his bootstraps as a first generation American.) The other two Democrats in the race are in trouble with traditional Democratic voter blocs such as organized labor and the education lobby, plus Pell apparently has the backing of many of the old guard politicians in Rhode Island politics.
    Is that necessarily a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    Now a comment like this is getting close to a "political discussion".

Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    Mr. Pell hasn't announced any detailed platform yet, so I guess good or bad depends on one's own political bent. From all appearances he is an old-school Kennedy-Johnson-Obama progressive-liberal. The other two Democrats in the race are more centrist, I would say. They have more experience in state politics, which can be both a blessing and a curse. There is only one true conservative in the race, but he probably will not win the Republican nomination.

In any case, the governor of Rhode Island won't be bombing anyone. The most important issue in the campaign is the economy and unemployment. Rhode Island has the second-highest unemployment rate in the country.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast