Bloomburg Businessweek article: "Figure Skating FALL" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Bloomburg Businessweek article: "Figure Skating FALL"

ice coverage

Record Breaker
You mentioned 18-49 demographic. What was the ratings in 50+ demographics? I am sure by my observations that the main figure skating audience is in that range and I don't know why it was ignored. The world doesn't have to be entirely decided by youth. We have some numbers too.

The article doesn't mention the ratings for the 50+ demographic, merely stating the 18-49 demographic is "the most important group to advertisers." I agree with you that the ratings would be higher for the 50+ demo, and that people in the 50+ demographics have a lot of money. But Businessweek is by definition a business magazine, and their knowledge of the importance of specific demographic groups can't be discounted.

Whether we like it or not, the reality is that TV advertisers care most about the younger demographics. Their decisions whether/when to buy advertising usually depend on whether younger viewers will tune in. And the TV networks will not broadcast figure skating unless they can attract advertisers for those time slots. Thus the importance of sponsors for U.S. skating such as Hilton, Puffs, Smuckers, etc.

(Would love for someone who works in the advertising industry to weigh in here. Although some older people have money to spend, advertisers much prefer the younger demographics, AFAIK.)

They have money, time and passion. And they come in numbers too. I don't understand why they are completely omitted the studies.

It's not that Nielsen numbers aren't available for the older demographics. The Businessweek reporter chose not to cite them.

Figure skating needs some stars that captivate the audience and make people want to go back and see that person again and again. I think Jason is a start whether it's his Riverdance, his ponytail, or his exhuberance on the ice. ... My son is a rugby player. Figure skating is not on his radar. But he did watch the Nats because I was there in Boston. He had some interesting comments to make but the only skater he really remembers is..............Jason!

In terms of personality, Jason is way ahead of the U.S. ladies. He's got the natural "it" factor :cool: -- which I have not detected in the umpteen promos, fluff pieces, etc., that I have seen featuring the U.S. ladies (excluding Edmunds).

jimini

On the Ice
They have money, time and passion. And they come in numbers too. I don't understand why they are completely omitted the studies.
It's not really about whether the over-49s have money. It's about how susceptible they are to advertising. Statistically speaking, as people age they tend to be brand-loyal (and/or unlikely to try new brands and/or products), tend to be more frugal than younger demographics (due to life experience!), less likely to buy fad products, etc. This is why most advertisers love paying for ads that reach the A18-49 demographic, and even more so A18-34.

TV Media Insights does have a guy that has access to a few more demos than most media outlets get. I looked up the ladies FS, looks like it definitely skewed older percentage-wise, in case anyone was curious:
2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships
Saturday the 11th (Ladies FS, 8-11 pm average)
HH: 2.7/4.4
Viewers: 4.183 million
A18-49: 0.7/2.2
A25-54: 1.0/2.5
A18-34: 0.5/2
W18-34: 0.7/2 (women 18-34 is a highly coveted demographic by advertisers)

Layfan

Record Breaker
The decline in figure skating popularity has been discussed many times here. Now Busineesweek adds its view. The current issue of Businessweek has a fullpage article on the decline of figure skating in the US. It starts off noting the NBC nationals got a 0.7 rating in the 18-49 year old demographic, mentioning that some obscure show, 'Teen Mom 2,' gets a 1.7 rating in the same demo.

The article documents the high point of interest, with the Harding/Kerrigan incidents and the years of Kwan. It contrasts those years with 2014. "But the American women headed to the 2014 Winter games in Sochi, Russia- a trio of blonds including Gold, Ashley Wagner, and Polina Edmunds-- have almost no name recognition at all." The article mentions Gold's and Wagner's sponsorships, but continues, "they're relatively small deals in the world of Lindsey Vonn . . . . Vonn was No. 8 in Harris interactive poll." "Julie Mancuso, Vonn's heir apparent, has already appeared on the cover of "Outside' magazine and has 51,000 followers on Twitter, Wagner and Gold are in the 20,000 range, and Edmunds has a mere 3,385 followers . . ."

The article continues, "this is partly because the 'demure, pixie type' associated with the sport has fallen out of fashion. . . . The Harris poll also includes the Williams sisters and soccer players Hope Solo and Abby Wambach, all known more for their ouspokenness, aggression, speed and strength than their birdlike gracefulness."

"Brands are looking for personalities that are goiong to break through. The poise that's synonomous with figure skating might be working against Gold and her fellow skaters in the bid for recognition" . . . "To some extent, the U. S. Figure Skating Association doesn't really understand that controversy is good for the sport." . . .

The article continues that Gold has a lot of good features, very pretty, which could be a marketters dream, but "she's ranked ninth in the world right now."
"If you chart the popularity of figure skating, its directly related to whether we have a female star." The article says Gold could take a clue from gymnast McKayla Maroney, known for the "not impressed face," who has 476,000 Twitter followers.

I feel like the story brings up some interesting talking points but in the end it manages to both oversimplify and overthink the situation. Gracie Gold and Ashley Wagner aren't huge stars because they haven't won any world or Olympic medals and that's it and that's all. Why should they be stars? Yuna, Caro, Miki and Mao are the last world champions. Guess what? They are all stars, even if not in the USA.
As for personality and whether Gold should take a clue from McKayla ... the world doesn't know Gold's personality yet. She actually doesn't strike me as demure pixie type, even if she is pretty and blonde. Ashley is DEFINITELY not a demure type and she actually fits right into the Serena Williams/Lindsay Vaugh, McKalay Maroney mold of fierce lady competitors. But she's not at the very very top of her sport like they are.
Speaking of pixies ... Michelle Kwan was certainly a golden girl but a pixie? hardly.
If Gold wins a medal of any color at the Olympics, I think she will get loads of sponsorship regardless of her personality. We'll start seeing more of her personality then that'll be fun :)

And speaking of personalities, Polina Edmunds! I read that blog of on TSL that discussed her assured response to questions about whether she should get to go to the Olympics and I had to see the news conference myself. I had to agree. She showed amazing poise, quick-thinking and killer instinct for a 15 year old. I know I would never have showed such composure at that age. I can't wait to see more of this girl.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Agree, figure skating would be very popular in US having world winners, I think figure skating is not very popular in Korea when Yuna is not competing. I hope Gracie works very hard and start to win gold medals so this will change. If people can tolerate to watch golf :sarcasm::scratch:, I am sure they can tolerate to watch graceful people with music in their programs :yay:.

That's what I thought, that the popularity for figure skating in US was because of the ladies beeing superior for such a long time.

LOL all sports are great if you give them a chance and take some time to learn. Golf is super exciting to watch when good broadcasting and interesting commentators.

An Irina Slutskaya type would fit with WIlliams and the soccer players but nothing is hated more in AMerican skating than Irina Slutskaya types!!!

Irina was my favorite lady skater in her era :clap:

It's not really about whether the over-49s have money. It's about how susceptible they are to advertising. Statistically speaking, as people age they tend to be brand-loyal (and/or unlikely to try new brands and/or products), tend to be more frugal than younger demographics (due to life experience!), less likely to buy fad products, etc. This is why most advertisers love paying for ads that reach the A18-49 demographic, and even more so A18-34.

TV Media Insights does have a guy that has access to a few more demos than most media outlets get. I looked up the ladies FS, looks like it definitely skewed older percentage-wise, in case anyone was curious:
2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships
Saturday the 11th (Ladies FS, 8-11 pm average)
HH: 2.7/4.4
Viewers: 4.183 million
A18-49: 0.7/2.2
A25-54: 1.0/2.5
A18-34: 0.5/2
W18-34: 0.7/2 (women 18-34 is a highly coveted demographic by advertisers)

There should be lots of adverts to reach 54> people: health care products, medications,
various donations, gifts for grand children :laugh: etc

Just curious: what was being advertised on TV at US nationals?

And wondering, what's a "pixie"?

noidont

Final Flight
Davis and White should take a clue from McKayla Maroney. The ladies skaters just haven't won anything to justify popularity. US Gymnastics has gone through the late 90s-early 00s drought too. It's not weird. This is the weird part though, by the time the Olympics rolls around, it's almost always figure skating and gymnastics everyone is obsessively watching. Rating is going to be pretty high even when no one knows who Gold, Wagner and Edmunds are. As a typical four-year sport, the golden marketing period is after the Olympics, not before.

By all means though, who cares about these girls when there is Jason Brown, who is totally going to become a sensation despite not anywhere near the podium.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does the article mention that Nationals was on Saturday night? Is it any surprise that the younger demographic wasn't watching? May USFSA should take that into account when scheduling there events.

louisa05

Final Flight
That's what I thought, that the popularity for figure skating in US was because of the ladies beeing superior for such a long time.

LOL all sports are great if you give them a chance and take some time to learn. Golf is super exciting to watch when good broadcasting and interesting commentators.

Irina was my favorite lady skater in her era :clap:

There should be lots of adverts to reach 54> people: health care products, medications,
various donations, gifts for grand children :laugh: etc

And wondering, what's a "pixie"?

Never mind the advertising. Any analysis of the ratings should take into account that it was up against an NFL playoff game. What Olympic sport is going to get stellar or even good ratings against the New England Patriots?

jimini

On the Ice
How does 4.183 million compare to last year's Nationals?
Also snagged from TV Media Insights:
2013 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, Ladies Final
HH/Shr: 2.2/4
Viewers: 3.321 million
A18-49: 0.5/2
A25-54: 0.7/2
A18-34: 0.2/1
I can't remember all the ads I saw, but I know I saw US Bank, Prudential, Smuckers, CoverGirl, AT&T, and probably some P&G brands.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This ^ ^ 90% of the problem. COP, essentially a non issue.

Unless the reason the US doesn't have a star is because of COP. COP makes it hard for skaters to be consistent winners. And winning one National championship (or even two) is not enough for a US skater to get noticed. Ask Alyssa Czisny, who got no media recognition at all for her wins. For years, Michelle Kwan never finished lower than second at any event (and never lower than first at Nationals). That made the sport worth watching for American viewers because she was always in the hunt and put down good skates even when she lost. I'm not sure even Michelle could have overcome the demands of the current judging system, where every move is scrutinized and penalized if not within the (sometimes arbitrary) guidelines. While she probably could have adapted, I don't think she could have lasted at or near the top for 10 years like she did. Even the best COP skater, Yu Na Kim, doesn't have the record one might have expected, with only two World titles. So I'm not willing to let the current judging system off the hook so easily. I would say that, in many cases, the whole is less than the sum of its parts under the IJS. There was something to be said for judges using an "I know it when I see it" approach to judging, at least on the second mark.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I can't remember all the ads I saw, but I know I saw US Bank, Prudential, Smuckers, CoverGirl, AT&T, and probably some P&G brands.

Thanks, I know what a bank is, but I've not a clue about the other brands or their products. OK, sorry, I know this thread is for US figure skating fans :laugh:

Thanks, I know what a bank is, but I've not a clue about the other brands or their products. OK, sorry, I know this thread is for US figure skating fans :laugh:

Prudential is an insurance company, Smuckers makes jams and jellies and is a long-time sponsor of figure skating shows, Covergirl sells cosmetics, AT&T is the telephone company, Procter and Gamble makes toothpaste and soap. A pixie is a cute, petite magical fairy. :)

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...-xu6EYJJtbLT7QPJvdRyl7hKR54TgpAvU8rx6BqenYZUw

PftJump

On the Ice
ISU didn't try stretching worldwide popularity of Figure skating. (in 3rd world)
Of course, the core of winter sports is moving to extreme sports currently.
But I still believe that there are a lot of potential Fans of Figure skate.
Icerinks can be anywhere(even equatorial countries), but slopes not.
Just lack of efforts.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Davis and White should take a clue from McKayla Maroney. The ladies skaters just haven't won anything to justify popularity. US Gymnastics has gone through the late 90s-early 00s drought too. It's not weird. This is the weird part though, by the time the Olympics rolls around, it's almost always figure skating and gymnastics everyone is obsessively watching. Rating is going to be pretty high even when no one knows who Gold, Wagner and Edmunds are. As a typical four-year sport, the golden marketing period is after the Olympics, not before.

By all means though, who cares about these girls when there is Jason Brown, who is totally going to become a sensation despite not anywhere near the podium.

Agree that marketers always are on the lookout for a fresh face and personality like Jason Brown.
(I would love to know what the minute-by-minute ratings were for his FS. Many on social media were going crazy for him in real time, and I wonder whether the ratings spiked before Dornbush took the ice.)

But a lot of sponsors already have placed their bets on Davis/White, Wagner, and Gold. Their existing sponsors will ramp up the visibility of D/W a.s.a.p. if/when they earn a medal in Sochi; same for each lady if she is lucky enough to earn a medal.

Am wondering what the following sentence means: "Davis and White should take a clue from McKayla Maroney."
I'm a fan of Maroney. Love her vaulting and her personality.
Sometimes circumstances dictate that D/W should speak cautiously. But they already have very marketable personalities.

phaeljones

On the Ice
Agree that marketers always are on the lookout for a fresh face and personality like Jason Brown.
(I would love to know what the minute-by-minute ratings were for his FS. Many on social media were going crazy for him in real time, and I wonder whether the ratings spiked before Dornbush took the ice.)

But a lot of sponsors already have placed their bets on Davis/White, Wagner, and Gold. Their existing sponsors will ramp up the visibility of D/W a.s.a.p. if/when they earn a medal in Sochi; same for each lady if she is lucky enough to earn a medal.

Am wondering what the following sentence means: "Davis and White should take a clue from McKayla Maroney."
I'm a fan of Maroney. Love her vaulting and her personality.
Sometimes circumstance dictate that D/W should speak cautiously. But they already have very marketable personalities.

Great points in this thread by everyone.

Jason Brown is unique. Taking an educated guess, he wears a ponytail not to be different but to be himself and he isn't afraid of being himself. But he is also distinctive and different. He doesn't seem to do anything cautiously but rather he seems to do everything assuredly. That is pretty unique not just with any athlete but any person. WYSIWYG. Remember when he skated at Skate America and there were not a small number of comments on this site that he should lose his ponytail and fix up his appearance? Anyone doubt that he hasn't been getting those comments for years and years, and that someone hasn't told him that it might affect his endorsements if he ever got big? I don't mean to take anything away from D/W because they are awesome but my impression is that their image is somewhat filtered so I too filter anything they say (and that takes effort so I really don't pay too much attention to anything they say or endorse). I don't get that sense with Brown and that puts him, to me, in a special category. I don't have to filter him and he has many likeable qualities.

D/W are very recognizable because of their wins, so I will note them if they show up on a commercial as being associated with a product, and the product will therefore get recognition with me. But to me are not relatable like Brown and so an endorsement by Brown would make me think more deeply about the qualities of the product, more than just the name recognition.

Bottom line, and my point, is that although Brown must continue to develop (and eventually to rack up wins), he could be a godsend to the sport and a repudiation of many of the article's points.

Or am I wrong and the writer correct in inferring that popularity has to come from the female side of the sport (which is impossible because of its pixie-ness)?

I do think that the writer has a point about changing tastes in entertainment in America. Back in the day, figure skating had a certain beauty pageant vibe to it, especially professional skating in ice shows. People are not so much into that kind of entertainment any more. As pure sport, there is a lot of competition for the viewers' attention.

phaeljones

On the Ice
I do think that the writer has a point about changing tastes in entertainment in America. Back in the day, figure skating had a certain beauty pageant vibe to it, especially professional skating in ice shows. People are not so much into that kind of entertainment any more. As pure sport, there is a lot of competition for the viewers' attention.

Great point. Well stated and, I think, accurate.

It will be interesting to see then how the popularity of Brown plays out because (and this is only my opinion) I don't think he has any of that "beauty pageant vibe". Only the passage of time will reveal the future, but I am curious to see whether the sport can pick up in America on the basis of other factors.

noskates

Record Breaker
Very interesting point of view Phaeljones and I generally seem to find myself agreeing with you. From what I've read recently, Jason has a very strong support system in his coach and his family. I don't know that finances are or are not an issue but Jason seems very well-grounded, was happy he went to public school because it was a respite from training and being so intense, and still has alot of friends "back home" that he keeps in touch with. I, too, get the feeling that he isn't too interested in changing. He did an interview talking about what he has to do with his hair to get it into that ponytail. Apparently his hair is uber curly and difficult to deal with. I think that's why a ponytail makes sense to him. What I wonder now is what his progression will be in the next skating season. Kori has moved him along somewhat slowly and carefully - putting as much focus on his presentation as his jumps and spins. Even if he doesn't manage a top 10 finish at the OLYs, and even if he bombs, there will be great expectations on him next year with Jeremy retiring. I hope all of this attention doesn't change him and he's able to be himself on his terms.

I HOPE the future of figure skating doesn't rest on the women's side of it. I think we've moved past the "baby ballerina" era and hopefully are moving toward the athletic but still graceful era. I honestly think it could be someone like Jason, assuming he totes up some big wins, that could bring back the entertainment factor in figure skating to the non-figure skating fan.

louisa05

Final Flight
Prudential is an insurance company, Smuckers makes jams and jellies and is a long-time sponsor of figure skating shows, Covergirl sells cosmetics, AT&T is the telephone company, Procter and Gamble makes toothpaste and soap. A pixie is a cute, petite magical fairy. :)

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...-xu6EYJJtbLT7QPJvdRyl7hKR54TgpAvU8rx6BqenYZUw

P&G owns Covergirl. They make make-up (Cover Girl and others), skin care products (Olay), toilet paper (Charmin), paper towels (Bounty), pet food (Iams, Eukanuba and others), diapers and related supplies (Pampers), laundry products (Tide & Bounce), batteries (Duracell), razors (can't remember which brand), air freshener products (Febreze), vitamins (Nature's something--a recent acquisition), cold medicines (I think Vicks but not sure), toothpaste and related products (Crest), toothbrushes (Oral B), some luxury cologne/perfume brands, and much more.

Husband works for a P&G company and we get free products twice a year. Christmas included a cool Olympic themed fleece throw and Olympic themed coffee mugs. I was psyched. Husband did not care, lol!