Congrads Jonny Depp! | Golden Skate

Congrads Jonny Depp!

equestrianguy

On the Ice
The only surprise last night at the Screen Actors Guild awards is that Jonny Depp won best actor beating out Sean Penn and Bill Murry..I wish he would have been there to accepted the award.. It would have help him in oscar voters eyes.. I am still thrilled he won! He is the most versitile younger actor out there.. I say he is the Anthony Hopkins of his generation.

Anyway, Charlize Theron is a lock for best actress oscar.. Tim Robbins was always a lock for the oscar..and I guess Renee Zellwinger is now the lock for her oscar..

It was great to see Meryl Streep and Al Pacino win for Angels in America.. There was no better two performances of the year.. I am really looking forward to seeing what is instore for us in 2004!
Everyone have a great oscar week!..............Peace

Yazmeen

On the Ice
I've read that this really throws a wrench into the possible Best Actor Oscar contest. Good for Johnny!!!

Seonaid920

On the Ice
I heard there is a lot of momentum for Naomi Watts for best actress. Could be an upset. Also, a lot of people really love Diane Keaton and her movie so it could go to her.

Johnny Depp was probably not at the SAGs b/c of other engagements. he showed up for the golden globes and will hopefully show up for the oscars. I think the ballots are all in the mail by now so it shouldn't hurt him too much for not showing.

I hope Renee Zellweger wins best supporting actress oscar-- her character was so lovable in cold mountain. I want to watch it again just to see her.

I think Depp is his own man. Living in the South of France with his sweetheart and loving it away from Hollywood.

I'm happy to see that his colleagues voted him 'best' since he is anti-Hollywood, and a misunderstood ex-patriot American.

I kinda hope he wins the Oscar.

Joe

BTW, a new movie coming out soon.

guinevere

Final Flight
Congratulations to Johnny Depp!!!!

guinevere
- praying to the Oscar gods for an upset in the Best Supporting Oscar race - Patricia Clarkson or Shohreh Agdashloo (whose name I've just horribly mangled)!

Antilles

Medalist
Very excited for my favourite actor. It must seem so odd to him to be "accepted" by mainstream Hollywood. Isn't the voting for the Oscars over by now?

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
YAH! I thought Johnny was brilliant in "Pirates" and so many other fims, including "From Hell". I am also glad he is getting the attention he has deserved all along. Also, about the Oscar voting, I think all of the votes are due by Tuesday the 24th.

Thanks for starting this thread, Equestrianguy. A couple of months ago when AOL and A&E had that "Best Whatever" contest and listed Johnny Depp as a candidate for "Best Comeback" I thought, "Comeback? When did he go away?" I soon realized it was because "Pirates" was his first "blockbuster" hit and that's what they meant by a comeback. Never mind that Depp has been in at least one film a year since 1984's "Nightmare on Elm Street" and perhaps has played a greater variety of roles than any actor ever. Even more difficult, he got out of the trap of being a teen idol.

ITA with Joe. Depp has always followed his instincts or heart, whether it be playing the fantasy character "Edward Scissorhands," the the real-life king of cocaine George Jung, or the something in between Ed Wood, I've always found that Depp gives his characters total respect. No matter how ridiculous the character may be, Depp gives them a great sense of integrity.

It's interesting that both Depp and Sean Penn have each been anti-Hollywood in their own ways. I think Penn has the edge only because the academy tends to reward dramatic performance over comedic, off-beat ones. And I do think Penn is "due" for an Oscar. But you never know. It seems there's always one surprise winner every year.

Whatever happens, it was great to see Depp get the recognition of his fellow actors. And he still gets my hormones hoppin';) Congratulations, Johnny!
Rgirl

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Rgirl said:

Whatever happens, it was great to see Depp get the recognition of his fellow actors. And he still gets my hormones hoppin';) Congratulations, Johnny!
Rgirl

You and me both, Rgirl, regarding the hormones. Purrrrrrrrr......
:laugh: :love:

Michibanana

Rinkside
I'll chime in about the hormones too...yep, yep, yep. :love: :eek: :love:

I'm so excited for Johnny...I could watch that movie over and over and still not tire of watching. I love that he's getting recognized for it. It may not be this way for all actors, but my experience has been (and I've heard others' say this as well) that it's a heck of a lot harder to nail comedy than it is to nail more "dramatic" material. Johnny's nailed both, and he hit this one out of the park...I think he is definitely worthy to be seriously considered for the Oscar...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
You're kidding? Oh well that is Hollywood for you.

I am still rooting for Bill Murray and Sean Penn - both gave Oscar worthy performances.

PS - Congratulations to Depp. I thought he stole the show.

Last edited:

jenny12

Rinkside
I've always enjoyed Johnny Depp in other movies-Benny and Joon,Once Upon a Time in Mexico, WEGG but I didn't think his pirate act was anything special. It would be a travesty if he won an oscar over Sean Penn. JD reminded me more of a drag queen than a pirate.

jenny12 said:
I've always enjoyed Johnny Depp in other movies...but I didn't think his pirate act was anything special. It would be a travesty if he won an oscar over Sean Penn. JD reminded me more of a drag queen than a pirate.
But Depp WAS playing a pirate as a combination drag queen and Keith Richards. Who says all pirates have to say "Aarrr, maties"?

Just kidding, Jenny. I don't know about travesty, but Penn and Depp's performances were certainly apples and oranges. Unlike skating, the academy is pretty shameless about awarding an actor for his/her body of work rather than the performance for which they're nominated. Paul Newman should have won about four times before they finally gave it to him for his good but rather standard performance in "The Color of Money." The catch-22 here is that both Penn and Depp have a strong body of work going back 20 years--and each has his clunkers too.

I'd give the Oscar to Penn. His work has been more classic acting, for lack of a better word--perfect for the Academy. Depp's roles have been more off-beat--perfect for SAG. I think the universe would feel balanced with that outcome;)
Rgirl--hormones still hoppin':)

Favorite JD lines/action: From Jim Jarmusch's "Dead Man":
"Yes, I'm William Blake."
Pulls out his gun.
"Do you know my poetry?"
Blam! Blam! Blows away two bounty-hunting marshalls who are after the price on his head.

:laugh: Love it!

Also, every time in "Ed Wood" when he tells someone, "I love wearing women's clothing. Right now, I'm wearing panties and a bra."

Give that man accolades and awards!

With Penn, Depp and Murray, it's worth watching the Oscars for the result. The rest of the categories will come in as expected.

Joe

Kasey

Medalist
Depp in Edward Scissorhands....What's eating Gilbert Grape.....Benny and Joon.....Ed Wood.....Before Night Falls.....Blow....Pirates of the Caribbean.....From Hell....Ninth Gate.....Astonaut's Wife....Legend of Sleepy Hollow.....Dead Man.....Come on, WOW!!! Even in his more traditional seeming characters (Donnie Brasco, Chocolat), he brings a special something to the screen. He totally stole Pirates, which would have been a standard, fun summer movie without him. He makes even his clunkers watchable.

(And I do mean VERYYYYY watchable! :love: Yeay Johnny!)

Kasey