If Mao Asada fails to win Gold in Sochi, should she carry on for another quad? | Golden Skate

If Mao Asada fails to win Gold in Sochi, should she carry on for another quad?

Mao88

Record Breaker
If Mao Asada fails to win Gold in Sochi, should she carry on for another quad?

Apart from the LP at Japanese Nationals, Mao has been in superb form all season. I think she stands a very good chance of winning Gold in Sochi. In all likelihood, if she does win, then she will proceed with her planned retirement at the end of this season.

Nevertheless, what if she does not win Gold in Sochi? Should she carry on for another quad? She is afterall only 23 years old, and would still be only 27 by the time of the 2018 Olympics. Carolina Kostner turns 27 on 8th February, and Akiko Suzuki is 28. Both Kostner and Suzuki remain competitive. Hence, clearly, barring injuries, Mao would have another Olympics in her in which she would have another realistic chance of winning Gold, should she decide to carry on.

Has Mao given any indication of what she might like to do after her skating career is over? Like Michelle Kwan, she will start her post-competitive life with a lot of opportunities to head off in many other directions, if that is her wish.

minze

Medalist
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I am one of her biggest fan and I will love to see her skating forever, but I think she wants to move on regardless of what happens in the Olympics. She said she wants to have a family, take vacations without worrying about training and I think she has earned it. She does not need a gold medal to make more money or cement her place in skating history. More than anything I think Mao Chan is ready to move on with her life

Crystallize

On the Ice
I think she should do what she wants for herself. JSF be damned. She's worked very hard and deserves to retire in peace. Plenty of people are going to miss her though! I only hope she doesn't stop skating completely. It'd be nice to see her in shows.

minze

Medalist
I think she should do what she wants for herself. JSF be damned. She's worked very hard and deserves to retire in peace. Plenty of people are going to miss her though! I only hope she doesn't stop skating completely. It'd be nice to see her in shows.

Yes. She said she will do shows:thumbsup:

minze

Medalist
It's all up to Mao, really. I think she will try to maintain her skills intact and watch carefully what happens in the next quad. If she feels that she has enough of what it takes to compete with the new generation of skaters, she will make a comeback perhaps in 2016-2017 season?! Another big factor to consider in Mao's comeback is the Japanese ladies situation after Sochi. If Kanako retires alongside Akiko and Mao, the torch carrier will be Satoko with her tiny microscopic jumps. I have doubts for Satoko despite her other wonderful qualities like skating skills, musicality, and the ability to spin in both directions. TBH, she lacks that star quality so evident in young Mao at the same age. Also, it's well known that South Korea is like a "land of promise" to Mao. She has good memories of competitions held in that country because on both times she had competed there, she won. So, Mao will do what she wants to in the end. However, there is a good chance of her federation pressuring her to make a comeback as well in the event of Satoko not proving herself in the next quad.

Agree with you, the newbies do not have Mao's star power. But I have to say, Mao was helped by a lot of things. Imagine, you are only 15 years old and you are skating in front of your country and you beat a world champion, who is a favorite for the Olympics and win your first GPF as senior. That moment was perfect to create a big star and also she could do a 3A. It will be very hard for any other Japanese skater to come close to such magical moment.

minze

Medalist
Awesome! I've always loved watching her exhibitions, so I think it'll be great to see her continue to skate in a non-competitive setting, even if she is competitive by nature. :)

I agree. I hope she comes to North America for a show to see her. Mao is so funny, when they asked her what she will do after the Olympics, she said she wants to go on vacation to Bali. She has the means to take that vacation, but has not done it because, she is so concentrated on training.

minze

Medalist
Also, according to Lori and Sato, she wanted to quite skating last season, but she found a new love for skating with her new programs. I think, the driving force of Mao's skating and competiveness was her mother. I think without her mom, skating has not been the same for Mao

Crystallize

On the Ice
Also, according to Lori and Sato, she wanted to quite skating last season, but she found a new love for skating with her new programs. I think, the driving force of Mao's skating and competiveness was her mother. I think without her mom, skating has not been the same for Mao

Yeah, I think so, too. It's sad, but I know her mom would be very proud of her as she was in Vancouver. Mao has done so much for skating in Japan.

Crystallize

On the Ice
I agree. I hope she comes to North America for a show to see her. Mao is so funny, when they asked her what she will do after the Olympics, she said she wants to go on vacation to Bali. She has the means to take that vacation, but has not done it because, she is so concentrated on training.

I really want her to take her skating show worldwide. I know she makes enough money in Japan, but it would be really nice for international fans. I really want to see her and the rest of Team Japan, too.

ks777

Record Breaker
No. She already made it clear that this is her last season. She is ready to enjoy her life after skating.

amc987

On the Ice
She's already been in for 2 full quads. That's more than enough time. Plus, I doubt her body would hold up long enough to make it to 2018. She already struggles more with some of her jumps (the 3A) than she did in 2010.

Barb

Record Breaker
I wish to watch to Mao skating forever too, but if someone deserve a rest is her :cry:. She competed in every competition she could, japan open, gp´s, japan nationals, 4cc, worlds, WTT, every season, and shows in the off seasons. She commented that it is not discarded Korea 2018 but I feel it is more a comment as "everything is possible", regardless of the result in Sochi I hope Mao will realize she must to be very proud of herself :bow:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I don't think her heart would be in it... And there's something to be said for quitting while you're at the top...

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The young generation is coming hard and fast. None of Kim, Kostner, or Asada are advised or wise to stay on a moment longer IMO. Suzuki and Wagner maybe could only since they probably have different goals in mind.

Ven

Match Penalty
The young generation is coming hard and fast. None of Kim, Kostner, or Asada are advised or wise to stay on a moment longer IMO. Suzuki and Wagner maybe could only since they probably have different goals in mind.

Akiko said she will retire after Olympics. She turns 29 in March. There's no point skating in competitions into 30s, she will either go out with an Olympic medal and/or Japanese National Champ at minimum. It would make absolutely zero sense for her to continue competitive skating after this season.

Barb

Record Breaker
Yes, Akiko and Daisuke said they did a really big effort to stay this quad but they decided to try anyway, so I think they definitly will retire.