Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: If Mao Asada fails to win Gold in Sochi, should she carry on for another quad?

Banned
    The young generation is coming hard and fast. None of Kim, Kostner, or Asada are advised or wise to stay on a moment longer IMO. Suzuki and Wagner maybe could only since they probably have different goals in mind.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    The young generation is coming hard and fast. None of Kim, Kostner, or Asada are advised or wise to stay on a moment longer IMO. Suzuki and Wagner maybe could only since they probably have different goals in mind.
    Akiko said she will retire after Olympics. She turns 29 in March. There's no point skating in competitions into 30s, she will either go out with an Olympic medal and/or Japanese National Champ at minimum. It would make absolutely zero sense for her to continue competitive skating after this season.

Yes, Akiko and Daisuke said they did a really big effort to stay this quad but they decided to try anyway, so I think they definitly will retire.

How about Fumie?

Banned
    Fumie will finally get a clue and enter adult competitions.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    How about Fumie?
    I think she will keep skating. From an outsider's perspective, she doesn't seem at peace with her career.

If she keeps the same mentality, obviously she never will be, because her serious competitive days are over. She claims she must continue skating until she has that one magical skate she longs for, hopefully the process will prove cathartic for her and somewhere in some practice rink one day she will have that magical skate and finally be able to move on with her life.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Has Mao given any indication of what she might like to do after her skating career is over? Like Michelle Kwan, she will start her post-competitive life with a lot of opportunities to head off in many other directions, if that is her wish.
    There was a mention in an interview a while ago that she would like to open a restaurant. She loves food.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    I think she will keep skating. From an outsider's perspective, she doesn't seem at peace with her career.

If she keeps the same mentality, obviously she never will be, because her serious competitive days are over. She claims she must continue skating until she has that one magical skate she longs for, hopefully the process will prove cathartic for her and somewhere in some practice rink one day she will have that magical skate and finally be able to move on with her life.
    What is she not at peace with though? That maybe she didnt quite reach her competitive goals. She never quite won a Worlds, but won 3 medals. She never quite won an Olympic medal, being placed 4th despite skating well in the poorly skated 2006 event must have stung something fierce. She never posted her first win over her idol Michelle Kwan, coming close at the 2005 Worlds when Michelle was on the downside of her career.

Or is it something more deeply rooted.

Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    There was a mention in an interview a while ago that she would like to open a restaurant. She loves food.
    A skating themed restaurant! Triple Salchow Sashimi with Flying Camel Chazuki.

Banned
    What is she not at peace with though?
    The speculation is that it's between her and Shizuka.

A skating themed restaurant! Triple Salchow Sashimi with Flying Camel Chazuki.
    Here in the States there are outdoor restaurants where sexy girls in roller skates bring out your food. They're all closed in the winter, but sexy girls in ice skates ... that's an idea!

Here in the States there are outdoor restaurants where sexy girls in roller skates bring out your food. They're all closed in the winter, but sexy girls in ice skates ... that's an idea!
    !!!!!! I am going to shoot off an email to A&W right now!

Custom Title
    no

Banned
    The speculation is that it's between her and Shizuka.
    She had a far more consistent career with many more medals and World level appearances than Shizuka. She can take heart in that, even if Shizuka's shines brighter due to the two huge wins.

I guess she feels in a way her arch rival and enemy Shizuka won and she lost, but in a way that is reality and she has to just accept it; but skating forever wont do anything to change that. Is she chasing the World and Olympic Golds that Shizuka won at this stage, lol!

Banned
    !!!!!! I am going to shoot off an email to A&W right now!
    Yes!

I guess she feels in a way her arch rival and enemy Shizuka won and she lost, but in a way that is reality and she has to just accept it
    I think that sums up the situation. Most of us face disappointing outcomes in life that we must eventually make peace with, and move on.

For instance, there was a mother in Spain last year whose baby fell out of her arms onto the luggage rack. It was an accident, but within a second the baby was crushed to death between the conveyor belts. What a horrific, horrific thing the mother will always live with for the rest of her life. But she too must one day make peace with that tragedy if she's ever to move on and make sense of her life.

Winning or losing figure skating competitions pales in comparison ... but look at someone like Fritzi Burger. As good as she was, I don't think she ever beat Sonja Henie ever in her entire career. I'm sure that was difficult for her to come to terms with as a competitor, but years later in old age she was able to laugh about those days of yore. She was often quoted as saying ... "I had two husbands. Sonja had three. She even beat me at that!"

Custom Title
    Suzuki though might be pushing the age thing which affects the body. Maria Butyrskaya stayed at it but at the end she really was past her prime (still top six or so though)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast