Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: If Mao Asada fails to win Gold in Sochi, should she carry on for another quad?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    She had a far more consistent career with many more medals and World level appearances than Shizuka. She can take heart in that, even if Shizuka's shines brighter due to the two huge wins.

I guess she feels in a way her arch rival and enemy Shizuka won and she lost, but in a way that is reality and she has to just accept it; but skating forever wont do anything to change that. Is she chasing the World and Olympic Golds that Shizuka won at this stage, lol!
    Well it is over for Fumie. She won`t be competing with Shizuka and she sadly, if not oddly, has gotten some negative publicity and or negative reaction to her staying around with huge costs to her and her family etc. Y es, it is her life but she has affected so many around her. Olympic medals don`t make you happy - remember Kira Ivanova- penniless, turned to alcohol, stripped and her hair hacked off and stabbed to death. Count your blessings, Fumie.

Nope.

Custom Title
    New article on Mao Asada entitled: "Asada seeks to show maturity on Sochi stage." Reads:-

Nearly four years have passed since figure skating star Mao Asada, 23, shed bitter tears with a silver medal in her hand. Asada is determined to use her second and final Olympic appearance to overcome the regret that has long tormented her.

“I was upset about my performance,” Asada said.

At the Sochi Games, Asada will skate again to Rachmaninov, this time Piano Concerto No. 2, one of his most famous works.

Asada is now making her final preparations for the Sochi Olympics, aiming to once again nail three triple axels. “I know the level of my [best] performance in the past, so I won’t be satisfied with a lesser effort,” she said, explaining the reason behind her focus on training.

Having decided to end her competitive career this season, Asada is determined to win. “I want my last skate to be my best at the Olympics, which is the big stage,” she said.

If she can realize the highest level of her performance, Asada will surely be able to capture the gold medal she has longed for.
    Sounds like she is committed to retirement at the end of the season regardless of the outcome of the Olympics. Nevertheless, looks like she is determined to win the Gold in Sochi, or at least ensure that if she does lose, that she only loses having skated her very best. If she does skate to her maximum potential and still loses, then the only skater that can beat her is Kim

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    A skating themed restaurant! Triple Salchow Sashimi with Flying Camel Chazuki.
    Japanese food and skating? I would definitely check that out at some point

Tripping on the Podium
    no offense, but i think mao may have peaked too early this season. just a hunch.

everyone should stick around, especially carolina, nobody created more beautiful programs than her. i fan myself everytime i see bolero (that step sequence).

anyway, sooooo many skaters plan on retiring which makes the next few years dull.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingJackson View Post
    no offense, but i think mao may have peaked too early this season. just a hunch.

everyone should stick around, especially carolina, nobody created more beautiful programs than her. i fan myself everytime i see bolero (that step sequence).

anyway, sooooo many skaters plan on retiring which makes the next few years dull.
    No offense, but between Mao, Yuna and Carolina, Kostner is the one who has looked awfully vulnerable this Olympic season. She was beaten at Cup of China by two Russians, Pogorilaya and Sotnikova, beaten by yet another Russian, Lipnitskaya at Cup of Russian and now, more recently, beaten again at the European Championships by Lipnitskaya and Sotnikova who won gold and silver respectively to her bronze. I think Carolina can medal in Sochi but she's going to have to hope from mistakes from at least one of the Russians. Yuna and Mao even with a mistake between them imo are still going to make the podium. I'm certain home ice advantage is going to play a part too in a Russian on the Olympic podium - not that they might not deserve high scores. All are great skaters.

Banned

I think the opposite. The rise of skaters like Gold, Sotnikova, Osmond, Lipnitskaya, hopefully Murakami is exciting to see, and it will be even more exciting seeing them battle it out and fight to create a new World pecking order of sorts post Sochi. I am looking forward to the retirement of the old guard, while appreciating their great careers and all the great moments they have given us. Just wish they had more of a pro circuit for us to see them more, but there are signs that might be coming back.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I think the opposite. The rise of skaters like Gold, Sotnikova, Osmond, Lipnitskaya, hopefully Murakami is exciting to see, and it will be even more exciting seeing them battle it out and fight to create a new World pecking order of sorts post Sochi. I am looking forward to the retirement of the old guard, while appreciating their great careers and all the great moments they have given us. Just wish they had more of a pro circuit for us to see them more, but there are signs that might be coming back.
    what are the signs?

Custom Title
    I don't see Mao would continue full-time. She may take a year off and come back half-time to see where she stands.

It must be a tough decision. Here you are, the best in the world at what you do. Whatever you decide to do afterward, the chances are remote that will will be anywhere near as good at it.

Banned
    what are the signs?
    Well there was the first professional competition in many years just a year ago. I think they have had a 2nd one since then. Granted they were both overseas.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    It must be a tough decision. Here you are, the best in the world at what you do. Whatever you decide to do afterward, the chances are remote that will will be anywhere near as good at it.
    She is one of the few skaters who can make a living doing shows, so she wouldn't have to stop skating unless she wants to. As far as competing, she has worked so hard the last 4 years and is basically in the same position as underdog for gold. She may win, she may not but I don't think she will be competitive for the top of the podium for another four years because the young skaters whom she beats only on PCS will eventually get better on that mark.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    She is one of the few skaters who can make a living doing shows, so she wouldn't have to stop skating unless she wants to. As far as competing, she has worked so hard the last 4 years and is basically in the same position as underdog for gold. She may win, she may not but I don't think she will be competitive for the top of the podium for another four years because the young skaters whom she beats only on PCS will eventually get better on that mark.
    Or they might not. I remember the same thing was said about Mirai four years ago. Who knows if the young skaters will have longevity in the sport.

Much as I love Mao, I'd never wish 4 more years. She will skate shows as she loves to skate and people love her skating. She has been a valiant warrior. She deserves rest. I loved her 2010 effort. I loved Orser. Gold did not define Nancy, Irina, Michelle. So, whatever.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Or they might not. I remember the same thing was said about Mirai four years ago. Who knows if the young skaters will have longevity in the sport.
    Not the same situation. There was quite a bit of holdover from last Quad into this Quad, and the judges did a lot of work to hold down the up-and-comers to benefit them. I don't see the judges being as willing to rip off the younger skaters moving forward, if this season has been any indication. Asada, Kim, Kostner, Suzuki, Wagner are all holdovers.

This time, it will be different. All of the holdovers will be newbies, and countries like the US and Russia have a ton of Junior level skaters that will invade the senior ranks in a couple years.

Edmunds
    [Karen] Chen
    Radionova
    Medvedeva
    Sotskova
    Sakhanovich
    Proklova

That's not talking about Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva (when she gets over her back issues), Lipnitskaya, Gold, and others.

If Mao wants to stay in until 2018, she will have to do 2-3 triple axels per competition for 4 more years because the judges will find it increasingly hard to justify gifting her wins based on PCS for that long.

I don't see her being competitive. Even now, she's pushing the envelop and I'm not sure she will be able to do 3 clean 3As, but anything can happen at the Olympics so we'll have to wait and see that...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast