Tripping up over toe pick - Should I get it ground down? | Golden Skate

Tripping up over toe pick - Should I get it ground down?

321birdy

Spectator
Hello - Im a novice skater who has just passed level 2 and decided to buy my own boots. I purchased GRAFF boots as recommended by the shop at the local ice rink, but after wearing them for a couple of hours, although they are comfy to wear, I just keep tripping up over the toe pick. I showed one of the coaches in the ice and she said I just need to pick my feet up more and just practice, but when i look at other novice ladies boots their toe picks are just not as prominent as mine. Mine are like the coaches.
One of the stewards suggested I get part of the pick ground down. As Im not planning on learning upto gold level, I only want to confidently skate for fun, what do you suggest I do?? TBH, I'm feeking a little scared of the boots at the moment as I have managed a few weeks without falling at all on the hired skate, and now, Im crashing to the floor so ofton I'm getting whiplash! :-:)bang: Your help & advice would be really appreciated, thanks.

Kunstrijdster

Rinkside
If you only skated in them for a couple hours, I would suggest you skate at least two more sessions in them. It may take a while to get used to the new blade, not super long to just skate around without falling, but maybe 2 or three sessions. Most rentals have more or less alibi toe-picks, then there are beginner models with a little better but still "tame" picks. From what you say, it seems you might have a more professional blade model with lower and more prominent/agressive picks? Do you know the blade model? If really doesn't work, you can still have them grind the lowest pick off, or even get different blades. Good luck :)

321birdy

Spectator
Thanks for this - I will give them a couple more tries and if Im still struggling, I will get the lowest pick ground off :) Thanks again :yay:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Typically, that's not safe if you are going to learn even basic turns (from forward to backward) as the lowest toe pick is used slightly in this process. Learn to bend your knees more.

backspin

On the Ice
It does sound like you've been over-bladed. A much better option, if you can afford it, would be to sell the new blades & get a pair that's more appropriate for your level. You will make the adjustment over time--but it will take some time. Everyone trips over the toe picks for awhile when they go to a more aggressive blade.

321birdy

Spectator
Yay - a half hr lesson and an hrs practice after without falling, I did stumble a couple of times but regained my balance. Maybe I can get to grips with these toe picks - feeling good! :clap:
Thanks for your input everyone, it's most appreciated x

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Do not not not not NOT get the toepicks ground off.

I went straight from hire skates to having Coronation Aces under me. Yes, it was difficult, and yes it took time to adjust, but I got there in the end. You can too. Just give it time. And don't destroy them!

321birdy

Spectator
Thanks Karne, this week I was much better than last week so yes I think I can get used to them. I just thought that buying my own skates would improve my skating straight away, I didnt realise what a step backwards it would be! How many hrs on the ice did it take you before you stopped stumbling? I realise that I am now keeping one foot down and gliding on it, and pushing off with the other much smoother - so I'm actually skating better already.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is a sharpener at my rink that is notorious for hitting people's toe picks, flattening rockers, and rounding off the heels. If you want new blades he's your man because the rink ends up buying new blades when he does this. I'm so glad I can sharpen my own. Glad to hear you didn't destroy good blades and are improving. Mind over matter. Blade over ice.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
How many hrs on the ice did it take you before you stopped stumbling?

Oh gosh, this was over three years ago now...but it was probably three or four weeks before I was really comfortable - skating for two days a week, two hours each time. I'm very clumsy.