Michelle Kwan's Husband running for RI Governor | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan's Husband running for RI Governor

His family is rich in politics and power and I think some contacts with the military. This is not some guy who fell off a farm or somethingo ut of no where. Michelle just helps complete him. Her name recognition won't hurt for s ure.

In Rhode Island, Clay Pell is as close as it comes to being an aristocrat. He is also a person of great individual accomplishment, as is evidenced by his fluency in several linguistically unrelated languages and his law degree as well as his military career. Pell is not one of the idle rich by a long way, and I doubt he lacks for confidence. He's not going to be "Mr. Michelle Kwan." Also, when it comes to a relationship with the spotlight, Michelle doesn't have Diana's hunger for adulation. (Much as I loved and admired Diana, one must admit that this trait was a part of her personality. No one's perfect.) So there isn't going to be a battle for center stage between the two Pells, I'm sure.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
MK thread is on main board because she is MM's dreamgirl. :laugh: If only it were consistent. also discipline. The much more important Sochi news is relgated to pol folder and it is already seen violence.

If MM can keep thisnews which is nothing but political, I request a thread on stories re Sochi violence etc. One is pure politics=the other about safety at Olympics.

A previous poster already asked, and it doesn't bother me if it stays in edge-it should be consistent. I think mao88 was driving at that. It's a fun thread, too.

eta I fell asleep. I am sure Mr Pell, a classic overachiever feels he's needed in politics. Little Red tho is just a jumping off point to Senator Pell, and it is likely. I just hope MK is with this man for love, not power. I disagree that she is radically different than Diana-Diana for all her flaws was a caretaker in childhood. And she was not an adored athlete who seldom lost.

I will always believe she is dead due to Landmine cause and the billionaires she crossed. She is a saint-she adored Charles-I don't blame her for using her beauty to help all those charities. She was a most amazing woman, due to her flaws. MK is a winner in her family, in sport, now attached to a powerful family. Diana could have been queen but she did not accept the family status quo, ie mistresses (more than one).

It doesn't seem political except that a government position is involved. It's just news about Michelle's current life--a kind of elevated fluff. We don't have to weigh in on whether Pell is on the "good side" or the "bad side." There are fifty states, and they all have governors. Pell wants to be one. The nature of his policies need not enter into the discussion. Rhode Island isn't particularly powerful or prominent as a state, in any case. It's the smallest in terms of area and one of the smallest in terms of population.

Maybe Michelle will make Rhode Island a state with tax breaks for skate fans who want to live there...Let's all go!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
This thread belongs in the politics section. The Edge is confined to discussions relating exclusively to figure skating issues.

If this is acceptable, and it's pure politics, we should be allowed a sochi safety ongoing news thread. Rules do bend, no?;);)

Dutchie

Rinkside
I didn't realize this would turn into a discussion of whether or not this post belongs here. I am new here so maybe I misunderstood the rules, but I've been a lurker for years and news like this has always been posted here. This was news regarding Michelle Kwan and her family starting a new adventure. Last time I checked, this category is for news about skaters either former or current. Am I wrong?

I didn't realize this would turn into a discussion of whether or not this post belongs here. I am new here so maybe I misunderstood the rules, but I've been a lurker for years and news like this has always been posted here. This was news regarding Michelle Kwan and her family starting a new adventure. Last time I checked, this category is for news about skaters either former or current. Am I wrong?

Don't worry, Dutchie. If this thread turns out to be in the wrong spot, the mods will move it. It's not your responsibility. And I'm enjoying thinking about this thread. It's fun imagining, say, the inauguration if Pell gets elected. And it gives me more incentive to learn about Rhode Island, which isn't a state that makes the news a huge amount. I think it's one of the few states, for example, whose capital is also its leading city. (Massachusetts is another.) Most states have their capitals located in a spot that's more or less central to the state, whereas their main cities tended to grow organically next to, say, a natural seaport or a navigable river. That's how Pennsylvania, which is home to one of America's oldest and most prominent cities, Philadelphia, ended up with Harrisburg as its capital, and New York, which has--well, New York City--has its capital in Albany. I guess Rhode Island is so compactly sized that everything is near everything else.

One thing this thread makes me contemplate yet again is how interesting the second act of an athlete's life can be. Some athletes continue to be active in their sport, either through an extended pro career when it's possible (skating, boxing, and so on) or in coaching, choreography, judging, sports administration, or sports law. Others go into business. Others branch out into fields like medicine. I'm always happy to see skaters continuing their education and broadening their horizons, and Michelle is certainly someone who exemplifies that. An interesting aspect to consider is whether she'll pull back on her individual pursuits to support her husband's career or whether she'll continue adding to her own resume. It's not impossible to consider that she would have her own career path. At one point someone who was the governor or lieutenant governor of a southeastern state was married to a woman who was a full-time orchestra conductor.

Barb

Record Breaker
I agree this thread should be not here, it is here because Mathman is the biggest fan of Michelle, which for me is adorable :biggrin:. I think they deserve an advantage to be moterator, surely is an annoying and tired job. Skateluvr may be you should postulate to be moterator :) and you can to have the threads that you want where you want.

^ Wayne Seybold competed in pairs at the 1988 winter olympics with his sister Natalie. He is currently mayor of the city of Marion, Indiana. He ran unsuccessfully for congress a couple of years ago, and has just announced his candidacy for Indiana state treasurer.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I agree this thread should be not here, it is here because Mathman is the biggest fan of Michelle, which for me is adorable :biggrin:. I think they deserve an advantage to be moterator, surely is an annoying and tired job. Skateluvr may be you should postulate to be moterator :) and you can to have the threads that you want where you want.

lol, love your honesty Chapis. Tis a thankless job and I'd be lousy. I'd let everyone say their heart, and even allow basic gossip. Like for example pondering recent divorce of Yuka. A little gossip (controversy) is what skating needs-according to all the writers.

So let us hope Gracie has a touch of Tonya. Skating would blow up if Ashley and Gracie became real rivals. When Yuna/Mao leave, half the fans may too.

So we need a scandal they say if we don't have a dom female.

And yes, MM should be blushing at his adoration of all things MK. He is a powerful advocate on GS. I have to say to Olympia I will always watch MK videos as long as they are free. I had to dump years of tapes. But in 2014, her politics-what she stands for matters more. But, she is very closed mouth. I'd rather Clay be the pol (I'm independent) but could never support a repub after all their "terrorist" activities to the poor, elderly, disabled. I hope Pell is one who wants to help those who actually need it. Rhode Island is poor but with some ritzy areas. Personally, I feel my Govt has far to many filthy rich govs, congressmen, senators.

Term limits is what I sign off on. God help America.

And again, if MM likes it here, who can object?;)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
lol, MM. Time to find a new heroine. I say Gracie Gold if only for that name. If Gold can't do it, who can?

Icey

Record Breaker
Is Michelle taking a leave of absence from her job to campaign with her husband? If he becomes governor will she leave her job?

lol, MM. Time to find a new heroine. I say Gracie Gold if only for that name. If Gold can't do it, who can?

You don't find new heroines. You add heroines to the life list. The same is true for heroes and teams.

As for other skaters in politics, Otto Jellinek of Canada took part in Canadian politics and seems to be the Canadian ambassador to the Czech Republic. As a child, he fled Czechoslovakia along with the rest of his family but clearly has remained involved with Czech culture.

Icey

Record Breaker
Does Michelle even meet the residency requirements for voting in a RI election? Being part of a political dynasty is not necessarily a positive nowadays. There is some rebellion against that sort of privilege. It didn't work all that well for Caroline Kennedy when she decided to run in NY. The kinds of mistakes she made would have been overlooked in the past due to who she was.

I think that the differences in Caroline Kennedy's case include the following:

1. New York is a large and influential state with a lot of people vying for the job of Senator for various opportunistic reasons, and it's been a glamor job that quite a few people have just shown up and expected to be given. One result that makes people look twice before dismissing the idea automatically: Hillary Clinton turned out to be a great pick for New York senator. She worked really hard and gained respect from her fellow senators on both sides of the aisle. Another exception: Caroline's own uncle Robert Kennedy, years ago--but in those days the Kennedy name was at the peak of its luster. (Though a lot of people were peeved at the time that he chose to run. What was that guy with the Massachusetts accent doing thinking he could represent New York?)

2. Caroline Kennedy never before held a position in public life. She was active in the sorts of pursuits typical for a certain class of wealthy, well-connected women: serving on the board of a ballet, being active in civic affairs but not in elected positions. To these she added books that she published about poetry, history, and the like. Now she wanted one of the toughest jobs in Washington, as one of only 100 senators. A law school degree earned several decades earlier might not be enough to look like a qualification.

3. The Pell family has indeed been a political dynasty, but they've been active contributors to the government and affairs of a single state, not amorphous national media stars. Besides, Clay Pell is running for local office, not national office.

4. Michelle is not running for this office. Her husband is, and his credentials are pretty well suited to the job. OT: Does anyone remember, by the way, when Elizabeth Taylor was married to Senator John Warner of Virginia?

5. Political dynasties are actually an asset in some states because they can bring extra prestige and connections to a smaller state without boundless natural resources or other assets that is not too influential.

I imagine that the opinion of the state's electorate depends on many factors, including the quality of previous service of the dynasty's members. Certainly Pell's grandfather, Senator Claiborne Pell, was an exemplary public servant.

As for residency, I'm sure Michelle has established a residence in Rhode Island by now. In order to vote, you just have to have a local address and register by a deadline before that year's elections. It's running for office that requires a certain length of residency beforehand.