Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Michelle Kwan's Husband running for RI Governor

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I have always said I see her with him to be a power couple in DC. Michelle has been a millionaire since a teenager. And an "LA Girl." I see him as more down to earth and less in love with the spotlight. Michelle loves the spotlight, that's a fact. In American politics, one must be very good looking charismatic to reach president. I see him topping out as a senator, but never president. RI is a nice state. I can see her having fun as first lady.
    I would say rather that Michelle is at ease in the glare of public attention. Mr. Pell comes off as a teensy bit stiff and formal in public appearances and interviews.

I agree with your guess that the Senate is his true goal, following in the footsteps of his famous grandfather. (By the way, Clay's father said nuts to that. He went into banking instead of politics, moved to Colorado, and married a famous artist (Clay's mother).

Edited to add: OK, one more, then I'll shut up. Clay gave his announcement in both English and Spanish. He is also fluent in Chinese and Arabic. Here is the Spanish version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xagv9...eature=youtu.b
    Last edited by Mathman; 01-27-2014 at 10:34 PM.

Sort of Ot, but I hope Mr. Pell can handle the constant drumming of 'Michelle Kwan's husband' in the press. Not all celebrity spouses have shown they can handle it over time. Even the Prince of Wales by some accounts felt overshadowed by his former wife, the late Diana, Princess of Wales and it has been alleged he was even jealous of the attention she received compared to him. I hope Pell takes it like the late President Kennedy seemed to. Once, he and his First Lady, Jackie went to France and he joked "I am the man who accompanied Jacqueline Kennedy to Paris — and I have enjoyed it!"

Back Ot, good luck to them both in all of their endeavors, political or otherwise!

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Sort of Ot, but I hope Mr. Pell can handle the constant drumming of 'Michelle Kwan's husband' in the press. Not all celebrity spouses have shown they can handle it over time. Even the Prince of Wales by some accounts felt overshadowed by his former wife, the late Diana, Princess of Wales and it has been alleged he was even jealous of the attention she received compared to him. I hope Pell takes it like the late President Kennedy seemed to. Once, he and his First Lady, Jackie went to France and he joked "I am the man who accompanied Jacqueline Kennedy to Paris — and I have enjoyed it!"

Back Ot, good luck to them both in all of their endeavors, political or otherwise!
    As has been discussed in this and other threads, the Pell family has been one of the most prominent in Rhode Island for generations.

Among members of a skating forum such as GS, Michelle Kwan is considered to be a bigger deal than her husband.

But I bet in certain non-skating circles, Clay Pell would be considered to be a bigger deal than -- or at least as big a deal as -- his wife.

So an equally valid way of looking at the situation: If/when Pell becomes governor, let's hope that Kwan can "handle" being known as Gov. Pell's wife. She will be the one who is the spouse of the political celebrity and who is at risk of being overshadowed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Michelle ("I'm a figure skater not a politician") has served in the State Department under two presidents, Bush and Obama, and three secretaries of state, Condonleezza Rice (R), Hilary Clinton (D) and John Kerry (D). I don't think think political partisanship is her thing. Dr. Rice was her first mentor, now she serves on initiatives headed by Michelle Obama.

Clay Pell is totally going to win this. Whoever wins the Democratic primary will win the election. (By the way, the likely Republican candidate has a background similar to Michelle's -- his parents immigrated from Hong Kong to the U.S. and he pulled himself up by his bootstraps as a first generation American.) The other two Democrats in the race are in trouble with traditional Democratic voter blocs such as organized labor and the education lobby, plus Pell apparently has the backing of many of the old guard politicians in Rhode Island politics.
    His family is rich in politics and power and I think some contacts with the military. This is not some guy who fell off a farm or somethingo ut of no where. Michelle just helps complete him. Her name recognition won't hurt for s ure.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post

I am sure Michelle will do a great job in picking out the china - probably Vera Wang

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    His family is rich in politics and power and I think some contacts with the military. This is not some guy who fell off a farm or somethingo ut of no where. Michelle just helps complete him. Her name recognition won't hurt for s ure.
    In Rhode Island, Clay Pell is as close as it comes to being an aristocrat. He is also a person of great individual accomplishment, as is evidenced by his fluency in several linguistically unrelated languages and his law degree as well as his military career. Pell is not one of the idle rich by a long way, and I doubt he lacks for confidence. He's not going to be "Mr. Michelle Kwan." Also, when it comes to a relationship with the spotlight, Michelle doesn't have Diana's hunger for adulation. (Much as I loved and admired Diana, one must admit that this trait was a part of her personality. No one's perfect.) So there isn't going to be a battle for center stage between the two Pells, I'm sure.

MK thread is on main board because she is MM's dreamgirl. If only it were consistent. also discipline. The much more important Sochi news is relgated to pol folder and it is already seen violence.

If MM can keep thisnews which is nothing but political, I request a thread on stories re Sochi violence etc. One is pure politics=the other about safety at Olympics.

A previous poster already asked, and it doesn't bother me if it stays in edge-it should be consistent. I think mao88 was driving at that. It's a fun thread, too.

eta I fell asleep. I am sure Mr Pell, a classic overachiever feels he's needed in politics. Little Red tho is just a jumping off point to Senator Pell, and it is likely. I just hope MK is with this man for love, not power. I disagree that she is radically different than Diana-Diana for all her flaws was a caretaker in childhood. And she was not an adored athlete who seldom lost.

I will always believe she is dead due to Landmine cause and the billionaires she crossed. She is a saint-she adored Charles-I don't blame her for using her beauty to help all those charities. She was a most amazing woman, due to her flaws. MK is a winner in her family, in sport, now attached to a powerful family. Diana could have been queen but she did not accept the family status quo, ie mistresses (more than one).

Custom Title
    It doesn't seem political except that a government position is involved. It's just news about Michelle's current life--a kind of elevated fluff. We don't have to weigh in on whether Pell is on the "good side" or the "bad side." There are fifty states, and they all have governors. Pell wants to be one. The nature of his policies need not enter into the discussion. Rhode Island isn't particularly powerful or prominent as a state, in any case. It's the smallest in terms of area and one of the smallest in terms of population.

Maybe Michelle will make Rhode Island a state with tax breaks for skate fans who want to live there...Let's all go!

Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    This thread belongs in the politics section. The Edge is confined to discussions relating exclusively to figure skating issues.
    If this is acceptable, and it's pure politics, we should be allowed a sochi safety ongoing news thread. Rules do bend, no?

Medalist
    I didn't realize this would turn into a discussion of whether or not this post belongs here. I am new here so maybe I misunderstood the rules, but I've been a lurker for years and news like this has always been posted here. This was news regarding Michelle Kwan and her family starting a new adventure. Last time I checked, this category is for news about skaters either former or current. Am I wrong?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    I didn't realize this would turn into a discussion of whether or not this post belongs here. I am new here so maybe I misunderstood the rules, but I've been a lurker for years and news like this has always been posted here. This was news regarding Michelle Kwan and her family starting a new adventure. Last time I checked, this category is for news about skaters either former or current. Am I wrong?
    Don't worry, Dutchie. If this thread turns out to be in the wrong spot, the mods will move it. It's not your responsibility. And I'm enjoying thinking about this thread. It's fun imagining, say, the inauguration if Pell gets elected. And it gives me more incentive to learn about Rhode Island, which isn't a state that makes the news a huge amount. I think it's one of the few states, for example, whose capital is also its leading city. (Massachusetts is another.) Most states have their capitals located in a spot that's more or less central to the state, whereas their main cities tended to grow organically next to, say, a natural seaport or a navigable river. That's how Pennsylvania, which is home to one of America's oldest and most prominent cities, Philadelphia, ended up with Harrisburg as its capital, and New York, which has--well, New York City--has its capital in Albany. I guess Rhode Island is so compactly sized that everything is near everything else.

One thing this thread makes me contemplate yet again is how interesting the second act of an athlete's life can be. Some athletes continue to be active in their sport, either through an extended pro career when it's possible (skating, boxing, and so on) or in coaching, choreography, judging, sports administration, or sports law. Others go into business. Others branch out into fields like medicine. I'm always happy to see skaters continuing their education and broadening their horizons, and Michelle is certainly someone who exemplifies that. An interesting aspect to consider is whether she'll pull back on her individual pursuits to support her husband's career or whether she'll continue adding to her own resume. It's not impossible to consider that she would have her own career path. At one point someone who was the governor or lieutenant governor of a southeastern state was married to a woman who was a full-time orchestra conductor.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I say Michelle can totally rock a First Lady!

The Sochi violence/safety thread is in the general Olympics folder.

I agree this thread should be not here, it is here because Mathman is the biggest fan of Michelle, which for me is adorable . I think they deserve an advantage to be moterator, surely is an annoying and tired job. Skateluvr may be you should postulate to be moterator and you can to have the threads that you want where you want.

Custom Title
    Are there any other figure skaters who have been politicians or wives of politicians? I know that Condoleeza Rice trained to be a skater when she was a child.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast