Michelle Kwan's Husband running for RI Governor | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan's Husband running for RI Governor

Ven

Match Penalty
Beware of politicians. The successful ones did not get into their position because they were good people.

Nichelle registered to vote in Rhode Island in 2013. There is no residency requirement to be the wife of a candidate for public office. :)

About the blue blood versus blue collar issue, everything is topsy-turvy in this election. The two candidates whom you would expect to appeal to "just plain folks" are in fact in trouble with labor unions and other grassroots types because of austerity measures that they imposed in the recent past (people had their pensions reduced, etc.) Mr. Pell has taken a populist position that will play well, I think.

desertskates

Medalist
I think Michelle would thrive in this kind of role. Her smile, personality and smarts will endear her to a lot of people. I wish her husband and her luck with whatever they try. The only thing I wonder a little bit is why she wouldn't use a hyphenated name of Kwan-Pell now? But maybe I'm an old fashioned fuddy-duddy. :slink:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does Michelle even meet the residency requirements for voting in a RI election? Being part of a political dynasty is not necessarily a positive nowadays. There is some rebellion against that sort of privilege. It didn't work all that well for Caroline Kennedy when she decided to run in NY. The kinds of mistakes she made would have been overlooked in the past due to who she was.

I'm sure she has by now--she and Clay live in Providence. Not that it matters, since she is not the one running.

Icey

Record Breaker
I'm sure she has by now--she and Clay live in Providence. Not that it matters, since she is not the one running.

It would matter if she wants to vote, which has nothing to do with who is running, but I checked and there residency requirements to vote in RI are quite easy to meet and I am sure now she has met them.

Re voting: some of his detractors have pointed out that since 2004, when he first became eligible to vote in RI, he has voted in only 4 RI elections.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
You don't find new heroines. You add heroines to the life list. The same is true for heroes and teams.

As for other skaters in politics, Otto Jellinek of Canada took part in Canadian politics and seems to be the Canadian ambassador to the Czech Republic. As a child, he fled Czechoslovakia along with the rest of his family but clearly has remained involved with Czech culture.

of course, I'm teasing MM and saying Gracie needs a powerful advocate too. Gracie and Polina are the future. Michelle had her day and a half. Let's move on a bit, tho, to the kids who need our support today.