Kim to be skating in the fourth group | Golden Skate

Kim to be skating in the fourth group

RABID

Final Flight
www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2014/01/627_150593.html

According to Korea Times, Kim Yu-Na is ranked no. 15 and will therefore skate her short program in the fourth of six groups; almost all of the top contenders will be skating in the 5th and 6th groups. Some thought her placement in the lower groups at Worlds cost her some points. However she was known to say it helped settle her nerves and perhaps put added pressure on rivals yet to skate. I think she is at a disadvantage already by not participating in the Team event but some think otherwise. So, advantage, disadvantage or a wash? And on a side note, will that 4th group get any air time?

gkelly

Record Breaker
And on a side note, will that 4th group get any air time?

I have no doubt that the reigning Olympic and world champion would get air time.

The rest of the group would depend on what the network wants to show -- are there other skaters in that group of interest to the home audience, especially home country skaters? How much time do they need to cover other sports competing that day?

Sara

On the Ice
It's a clear disadvantage. She won't be getting the PCS she usually gets when skating in the last group. I think we might see the same thing happening what we saw in last year's Worlds...

Icey

Record Breaker
are we not going to get to see all of the skaters skate their short programs?

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I said it before and I'll say it again if I have to: Shen and Zhao, Vancouver 2010, skated first. Not first in the last group, not first in the fourth group. First, period. How much did it hurt their score? Well, they got a world record (at the time) SP score and went on to win the gold because of their SP lead (they were second in the free), so not too much.

So yeah, I doubt Kim's skating position will hurt her. She's got enough reputation to score big anyway. If she doesn't win in Sochi, it won't be because of her SP starting order. I'd also be very surprised if she doesn't get airtime. She isn't exactly a nobody in these games. ;)

CarneAsada

Medalist
Kim has skated an LP outside the final flight once. Despite skating said LP nowhere near her best, she still ended up getting the highest PCS of the competition, 3 points higher than the next-highest PCS (Asada). I don't think she'll be in any trouble. Her SP this year is also much better than her SP last year. If she skates well in her SP, she's guaranteed a spot in the final flight in the LP which is the important part.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Actually that news article is outdated. Coolbro - a cool Chinese Yuna fan from YNKF pointed out they apparently changed to 5 groups instead of 6, and it will be 6 per a group.
as such, Yuna is likely to be in the third group.

Training Schedule
http://www.isuresults.com/events/OWG2014_ColouredTimeSchedule.pdf

Chinese broadcast time (Beijing Time 2nd column, Sochi time 3rd column)
http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/mw1024/002ipkaXgw1ecyag1az6sj40op0gztcu1.jpg

Starting Order (Randomized or draw to still take place for 1-15, 16-18, 19-30)
http://cfile220.uf.daum.net/image/2235113E52E4B8F726EE06

RABID

Final Flight
Actually that news article is outdated. Coolbro - a cool Chinese Yuna fan from YNKF pointed out they apparently changed to 5 groups instead of 6, and it will be 6 per a group.
as such, Yuna is likely to be in the third group.

Training Schedule
http://www.isuresults.com/events/OWG2014_ColouredTimeSchedule.pdf

Chinese broadcast time (Beijing Time 2nd column, Sochi time 3rd column)
http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/mw1024/002ipkaXgw1ecyag1az6sj40op0gztcu1.jpg

Starting Order (Randomized or draw to still take place for 1-15, 16-18, 19-30)
http://cfile220.uf.daum.net/image/2235113E52E4B8F726EE06

Mmm, Mao and Karolina are skating last. Same question, advantage, disadvantage? Karolina skating dead last. Hope she is up for it. :eek: (or is the order in group set in stone?)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Mmm, Mao and Karolina are skating last. Same question, advantage, disadvantage? Karolina skating dead last. Hope she is up for it. :eek: (or is the order in group set in stone?)

It is not set yet, According to the rule, randomized draw according to these current startup rankings 1-15, 16-18, 19-30 is to still to take place. I can be wrong though, this is 2nd hand info.

Ven

Match Penalty
I'm not worried. I think if she goes clean she will be used as the gold standard and receive a very high score. All of the later competitors will be measured against her.

RABID

Final Flight
Gracie is skating in the 4th group with Zijun Li and Kanako Murakami. Competitive but not as nerve wracking; this looks to me like the best group to be in.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Gracie is skating in the 4th group with Zijun Li and Kanako Murakami. Competitive but not as nerve wracking; this looks to me like the best group to be in.

I was under the impression 19-30 (entire group of 4 and 5) are still to be randomnized, as in anyone from group 4 can still be in group 5 and vice versa.

I am actually confused by this new system to be honest, was it same from last Olympics? I mean why not just randomize 1-15, and 16-30?!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
dIdon't think we have to worry; the judges know her she will be fine:) Look at world's last year; they didn't hold her back at all. have some faith.

RABID

Final Flight
I was under the impression 19-30 (entire group of 4 and 5) are still to be randomnized, as in anyone from group 4 can still be in group 5 and vice versa.

I am actually confused by this new system to be honest, was it same from last Olympics? I mean why not just randomize 1-15, and 16-30?!

I don't know either. I'm going off of the tables you provided, os168. Now you have me confused.:slink:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

The caption above the last link says 'Randomized or draw to still take place for 1-15, 16-18, 19-30'.

seabm7

Final Flight
The caption above the last link says 'Randomized or draw to still take place for 1-15, 16-18, 19-30'.

Here is my understanding of the ISU rule on how to organize a short program competition for 30 people.

Draw for the lower half (30 / 2 = 15 people) 1-15
Draw for the remaining mid 16-18
Draw for the uppermost two groups (6*2 = 12 people) 19-30

I am not 100% sure. I will appreciate any corrections.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The top 12 on the current World Rankings (of those going to Sochi):

1 KOSTNER Carolina
2 ASADA Mao
3 LIPNITSKAIA Julia
4 WAGNER Ashley
5 SUZUKI Akiko
6 SOTNIKOVA Adelina
7 MURAKAMI Kanako
8 MARCHEI Valentina
9 MEITE Mae Berenice
11 GOLD Gracie
12 LI Zijun
13 HELGESSON Viktoria

These should be drawn randomly for the final two flights for the SP.

noskates

Record Breaker
Dang, I feel sorry for Ashley if she has to skate in that last group. And Polina skating in the first group isn't very encouraging.