Kim to be skating in the fourth group | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kim to be skating in the fourth group

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley has been competing against those skaters all season and for the past 3 seasons. Business as usual there.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here are the rest of the ladies and their World Rankings:

24 WEINZIERL Nathalie
28 GEDEVANISHVILI Elene
29 KIM Yu-Na
30 GLEBOVA Elena
31 POPOVA Natalia
34 HAN Brooklee
35 McCORKELL Jenna
36 ZHANG Kexin
38 OSMOND Kaetlyn
39 KIM Hae-Jin
41 FRANK Kerstin
46 PARK So-Youn
49 RAJICOVA Nicole
53 DALEMAN Gabrielle
77 UKOLOVA Elizaveta
79 WILLIAMS Isadora
91 EDMUNDS Polina
92 GJERSEM Anne Line

RABID

Final Flight
Dang, I feel sorry for Ashley if she has to skate in that last group. And Polina skating in the first group isn't very encouraging.

I'm very encouraged for Polina. By being in the first groups she gets to experience high level competition but competition that she can do well against. The realistic goal for Polina is making it to the Free Skate. Medals? Next Olympics. If she even gets close to top ten that would have to be considered a major success.

Nocturne

On the Ice
The top 12 on the current World Rankings (of those going to Sochi):

1 KOSTNER Carolina
2 ASADA Mao
3 LIPNITSKAIA Julia
4 WAGNER Ashley
5 SUZUKI Akiko
6 SOTNIKOVA Adelina
7 MURAKAMI Kanako
8 MARCHEI Valentina
9 MEITE Mae Berenice
11 GOLD Gracie
12 LI Zijun
13 HELGESSON Viktoria

These should be drawn randomly for the final two flights for the SP.

I have a question, can you explain to me why Carolina is ranked 1# in the World order and not Mao? Mao won every Grand Prix assingnment this season, but Caro didn't win any competition.
I know that she placed avove Mao at worlds 2013, but so did Yuna and she's now ranked much lower... I dont really get it xD

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
This is KIM we're talking about! Not some up-and-coming, no-reputation skater, that the judges don't care about. Skating early will be no disadvantage to her point scoring.

I think it's a huge psychological ADVANTAGE. When warming up, she will be the only "big fish" in a small pond - with no serious competitors there to psych her out. And just before she has to skate, she not have to contend with any standing ovations, giant roof-lifting applause, showers of flowers/toys on the ice (if such things are allowed at the Olympics), or seeing somebody else get a huge score...

Very smart idea to take it easy in the run up to the Olympics - if you can (I figure you need to skate for a country where you have no real domestic competion, or otherwise guaranteed to go to the Olympics no matter what). Don't wear yourself out... don't risk injury... focus on peaking only once, in February... let your ranking drop so you skate in an earlier group.

I had wondered if anybody else would do something like this, Fernandez perhaps... Reynolds...

seabm7

Final Flight
I have a question, can you explain to me why Carolina is ranked 1# in the World order and not Mao? Mao won every Grand Prix assingnment this season, but Caro didn't win any competition.
I know that she placed avove Mao at worlds 2013, but so did Yuna and she's now ranked much lower... I dont really get it xD

Check the computation here:

http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsladies.htm

For each season, only one out of several ISU championships, two out of GP/GPF, and two out of B competitions count. So winning every Grand Prix assignment does not contribute to the standing. Kostner got a medal from Euro but Mao didn't go to 4CC this season, which makes the difference.

Nocturne

On the Ice
We don't even know the exact list of competitors, not to mention the ranking and order of skate.

Check the computation here:

http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsladies.htm

For each season, only one out of several ISU championships, two out of GP/GPF, and two out of B competitions count. So winning every Grand Prix assignment does not contribute to the standing. Kostner got a medal from Euro but Mao didn't go to 4CC this season, which makes the difference.
Thank you very much.
Now I get it, thanks for the link. But I wonder, if 3 seasons are considered, it is not really an indication of who's the best right NOW, if points from previous seasons hold you up, is it?

seniorita

Record Breaker
It didnt hurt Shen and Zhao and Plushenko in Vancouver, when they went by ranking. In 2006 there was just draws, so Plushenko had skated second of all skaters in Torino too in sp and it didnt hurt him, he did a world record there.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know Gracie didn't have a great season until now but how the heck is she behind skaters like Marchei and Meite?

seabm7

Final Flight
Thank you very much.
Now I get it, thanks for the link. But I wonder, if 3 seasons are considered, it is not really an indication of who's the best right NOW, if points from previous seasons hold you up, is it?

For that matter, ISU has another list:

http://www.isuresults.com/ws/wr/wrladies.htm

However, if you did not go to either Euro or 4CC, you would be pushed down in the list, too. I don't think it would be meaningful to decide who is the best based on these lists.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
According to the document, the objective of ISU World Standing is:

To present an objective and accountable standings system for all skaters in Single & Pair Skating and Ice Dance during a particular season which takes into account the results of the preceding two seasons ensuring that skaters who were unable to compete for a certain period of time remain in the World Standings and are considered according to their true basic competitiveness. The ISU World Standings are used as basis for all draws in ISU Events as well as one of the skaters selection criteria for the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating and other ISU Events designated by the Council.

Apparently the first column of points, labeled as Worlds or Olympics, actually includes the points from Euros and 4CC as well. I has assumed the latter 2 falls under "Selected International Competition". Euros/4CC also worth more points than GPF. Either way, the standing is used for draws and as selection criteria, not really an indication of who's top dog or who's dog ****. Polina Edmunds is ranked 91st with 505 points (zero this season); 7 place ahead of Miki Ando who's ranked 98th with 450 points (all from this season).

Nocturne

On the Ice
For that matter, ISU has another list:

http://www.isuresults.com/ws/wr/wrladies.htm

However, if you did not go to either Euro or 4CC, you would be pushed down in the list, too. I don't think it would be meaningful to decide who is the best based on these lists.

Thanks again :)
Yes, I suppose you're right about these lists. They could probably only really work, if every skater attended every competition on this list.

Country
Russia
Kostner has better ranking points from championchips - 1920 for 1st at Worlds-2012 and 2nd at Worlds-2013. 3rd place at Euro-2014 gives her nothing - only two best results of championships are calculated at World Standing.
Asada has 1501 - 6th at Worlds-2012 and 3rd at Worlds-2013.

Asada has much better points from GP-GPF - 2400, maximum possible points (only best 4 of 6 possible results are calculated).
Kostner has 1524.

Kostner also has 675 points from three Senior B competitions. Asada - 0, she does not compete at this level.

So sum is higher for Kostner.

Valentina Marchei is higher than Gracie Gold at first because she has four results of SeniorB, while Gracie has only two.

System of World Standing encourages skaters to compete actively at many different competitions. So who does so, has hogher standing.

thinspread

On the Ice
I was under the impression 19-30 (entire group of 4 and 5) are still to be randomnized, as in anyone from group 4 can still be in group 5 and vice versa.

I am actually confused by this new system to be honest, was it same from last Olympics? I mean why not just randomize 1-15, and 16-30?!

I suppose that will be the case at Sochi too. A separate draw for 16-18 does sound odd, though. In Vancouver SP skating orders were set into 6 groups of 5 each, and I believe the separate draws were done for Group 1-3 (1-15), Group 4 (16-20), and then Group 5-6 (21-30), with Asada and Kim ended up skating back to back in the 5th group.

Anyway, I don't think the SP skating order would be crucial.

ForeverFish

Medalist
The Olympic judges won't make the same mistake as their colleagues at 2013 Worlds and hold Yuna down/close to the rest of the competition. Besides the small uproar that her relatively low SP score caused, she embarrassed them by still winning the event by a landslide. Plus, she's established as top dog again -- and, like it or not, reputation plays a significant role in scoring.

That said, she should lead after the SP only if she's perfectly clean (unless every skater in the final two groups is undone by nerves/bad ice/what have you).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That is hugely unfair if Kim is in the 4th group and both Russians and Asada and Kostner are in the final group.

You just know that the judges will boost the final group's PCS, especially having both Russians in it.

I don't think it's unfair. It is what it is. What would be unfair is if the ISU decided arbitrarily to place Kim into the final group because -- SHE'S YUNA KIM -- and demote one of the other skaters who earned the final group according to the rules.

elif

Medalist
Osmond is very far back too. This is not good news for her. Kim will be like Plusenko and Shen/Zhao. She is a favorite for gold.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Osmond is very far back too. This is not good news for her. Kim will be like Plusenko and Shen/Zhao. She is a favorite for gold.

I think the fundamental difference is that Plushenko and Shen/Zhao were not the reigning World Champions, nor had they even competed at Worlds in that quadrennial leading to their comebacks in 2010, let alone competed a whole lot.

I get that rankings are rankings, but it's pretty silly to have the reigning World champion not even skate in the final 2 groups, let alone final group. Particularly on a stage like this. Get ready for the onslaught of PCS bs.