Kim to be skating in the fourth group | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kim to be skating in the fourth group

elif

Medalist
I think the fundamental difference is that Plushenko and Shen/Zhao were not the reigning World Champions, nor had they even competed at Worlds in that quadrennial leading to their comebacks in 2010, let alone competed a whole lot.

I get that rankings are rankings, but it's pretty silly to have the reigning World champion not even skate in the final 2 groups, let alone final group. Particularly on a stage like this. Get ready for the onslaught of PCS bs.

But Plushenko (2006-2010) and Shen/Zhao skated at grand prix, grand prix final or europeans in Olympic year, unlike Kim. And they are former world champions. I'm very sure Kim will be safe for PCS.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I get that rankings are rankings, but it's pretty silly to have the reigning World champion not even skate in the final 2 groups, let alone final group. Particularly on a stage like this. Get ready for the onslaught of PCS bs.

It's terrible that the ISU wouldn't let her compete in a few GPs or 4CC so her ranking wouldn't be so low. So unfair.

ivy

On the Ice
It's terrible that the ISU wouldn't let her compete in a few GPs or 4CC so her ranking wouldn't be so low. So unfair.

??

I thought she was planning on doing GP but chose not to because of injury. Also that she could have done 4CC since she got her qualifying score at Golden Spin. Then it's up to her and the Korean Fed.

^ Drivingmissdaisy was being sarcastic, making fun of the view that the ISU is unfairly picking on Kim.

MiRé

Match Penalty
meh, she doesn't need worry. The judges will know she was the Gold medalist in 2010, heck she's currently the reigning world champion also.

Nocturne

On the Ice
The Olympic judges won't make the same mistake as their colleagues at 2013 Worlds and hold Yuna down/close to the rest of the competition. Besides the small uproar that her relatively low SP score caused, she embarrassed them by still winning the event by a landslide. Plus, she's established as top dog again -- and, like it or not, reputation plays a significant role in scoring.

That said, she should lead after the SP only if she's perfectly clean (unless every skater in the final two groups is undone by nerves/bad ice/what have you).

I really dont understand why so many people say yuna was held down so much in SP and say the judges were against her. IMHO, I think they judged just right, because for me her SP was horrible! The music was so bad, I couldnt enjoy anyhting she did, and also what she did i simply didnt like. For me, this was her worst program ever. Wheras her LP was simply the opposite: fantastic and amazing in any way.
Maybe the judges just had the same feelings, when seeing her programs, which led to her two contrasting scores.
But this year, her SP is exquisite again, so I wouldnt worry about her.

ForeverFish

Medalist
When will people get that her skate at the 2013 Worlds just wasnt that good. It seems the horde of Kim fanatics on this board just cant accept this. I am glad I am just a rational fan of Kim and not a diehard fanatic like many on this board, good grief! I knew when she finished she wouldnt score anything above say a 71 as it wasnt anything great, and nothing like her great short programs of the past. Her short program this year is far better than last years (and her this year LP too, but the judges are more likely to overlook a blah LP than a blah SP), she messed up atleast 1 of her spins, and her triple flip actually did go onto an inside edge I believe (remember this isnt her first lip call, she isnt a chronic lipper but an occasional one), and she was also slow and methodical.

That being said if Kim does a blah cleanish skate like last years Worlds she might get a mediocre score again, but I dont think that will happen. She is more likely to do the unlikely and miss an element entirely than turn in another such lackluster skate.

Nor would I consider myself a diehard fanatic of any skater, perhaps barring Gracie Gold. But it's refreshing that you seem to hold yourself in a higher regard than other Yuna Kim fans. :sarcasm:

Anyway, not to beat a dead horse by arguing the topic, but you basically said in your post that she was under-scored in the SP at 2013 Worlds, so I don't understand who or what you're picking a bone with.

All I hope is that, at the Olympics, all skaters receive the scores they deserve -- no more and no less. Ideally, Yuna skating in the third group won't have any bearing on her marks, for better or worse.

seniorita

Record Breaker
But Plushenko (2006-2010) and Shen/Zhao skated at grand prix, grand prix final or europeans in Olympic year, unlike Kim. And they are former world champions. I'm very sure Kim will be safe for PCS.
Plushenko was the reigning Oly champion too and skated with Kelemen and Baccini and did just fine. Yuna might like it too, some skaters prefer to skate early and put the pressure on the rest. ;)

RABID

Final Flight
.She was undermarked a bit but not much Anyone who thinks her short program at the 2013 Worlds was the same caliber as her shorts at say Four Continents 2009, Worlds 2009, Skate America 2009, Olympics 2010, Worlds 2007, which with the howling over her score that has gone on for a year now seems to suggest some actually believe, needs to either get a new pair or glasses or get their eyes checked. I saw her short earlier this year that scored 73 with a fall on a double axel and it was a far better performance besides that silly mistake, with better elements, more speed, and a better program, hence why even with a fall on a major element, it scored several points higher. I actually hated her short last year, even had she skated it better, horrible costume, awful music, and strange choreography. Some things are obvious to the naked eye, but people just love a conspiracy theory, it gets tiresome.

Funny how in this thread you are talking about her "strange choreography" and in another thread the talk is about the art of choreography in regards to her long program this season. I actually like the choreography of that 2013 short because it is risky and has an element of interesting menace to it; my ultimate problem with it is that it takes a couple of viewings to fully appreciate it for what it is, at least for me. That said although it wasn't perfectly performed it darn near was and that her mark was short of 70 reflects not necessarily a slight against her but the habitual restraint judges usually show towards the early groups. That is the real point of the thread; judges habitually reward a clean YuNa well into the 70's but they also habitually don't like to be too generous with skaters in the early groups regardless how well they might skate.

Ven

Match Penalty
I thought she was underscored in KoV SP at Worlds by a couple of points. Didn't the tech caller admit to making a mistake on e call?

The music wasn't that inspiring and Yuna was tentative but I thought the choreography was good and I loved her KoV costume. Her expression at the end pose was mad hot.

Wherever that passion came from at the end of the program, I think if she had skated with that the entire 2:45+ the performance would have been better. Not on same level as DM, Bond, SITC, but still not bad, underrated I think.

guanchi

On the Ice
I really enjoyed Yuna's 2013 sp- it was idiosyncratic, edgy, something to get used to, but I loved it after a few viewings. She got a level4, I believe, for the steps which may be a first for her. Great flow throughout, terrific speed in her double axel. I thought she would get 72-73, even with the spin and edge call, which would've been a bit scary for the others if they couldn't get past 66-67. It was kept close, and made for a more anticipated final compared to a 6 pt Yuna lead, which is near runaway territory.

RABID

Final Flight
This early draw urban legend has already been emphatically disproven with the Plushenko and Shen & Zhao examples in Vancouver, so anyone who keeps mentioning it at this point is just spewing inconsequential BS which was already flat out disproven. If Yu Na Kim somehow doesnt score well in the SP at the Olympics it will be because the judges didnt like her performance much (as they obviously did not like her short program performance at Worlds much, and since I didnt either I can relate to the judges in this case). No other reason, plain and simple. This whole thread is just a bunch of paranoia from obsessive Yu Na fanboys, or overly cynical anti Russian conspiracy theorists. Like I said if she does a clean short it will be 76+ this time for sure.

You're overreacting to the point of blind hostility with all these uncalled for accusations. Look, if the thread offends you that much then just ignore it, but if you want to respond with all passion intact there are ways to do it without name calling. Sheesh.

Vash01

Medalist
In Salt Lake City, Berezhnaya-Sikharulidze were the second pair on the ice, overall, for the SP. At the end of the SP they were still leading.

I don't see how skating in group 4 is going to hurt Yu na. Also, not skating in the team event gives her a great advantage. She will be training while her competitors are skating in the team competition and losing some energy.

cooper

Medalist
In Salt Lake City, Berezhnaya-Sikharulidze were the second pair on the ice, overall, for the SP. At the end of the SP they were still leading.

I don't see how skating in group 4 is going to hurt Yu na. Also, not skating in the team event gives her a great advantage. She will be training while her competitors are skating in the team competition and losing some energy.

it could give her an advantage but also it could give her a disadvantage.. the familiarity on the ice.. the atmosphere of competing in sochi.. etc...

Ven

Match Penalty
it could give her an advantage but also it could give her a disadvantage.. the familiarity on the ice.. the atmosphere of competing in sochi.. etc...

She also won't be skating the same programs twice at the same event, I think there's something to be said for that.

Personally, I think it will be a negative to see competitors do the exact same programs over and over again at the same event.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
I would have loved it if Gracie was in the same group as Yuna (which would have helped both of them), and this would have happened if Satoko didn't get silver at the 4CC. :bang:

Anyway, I think Yuna is in a good spot and her relatively early skating should not affect her score.

Nocturne

On the Ice
Personally, I think it will be a negative to see competitors do the exact same programs over and over again at the same event.[/QUOTE]

I dont think that this will be the case. I other sport, gymnastics for example, spectators can watch a gymnast's routine up to 4 times in one week, because they show the same routine at prelims, team final, all around and event finals. Sometimes little upgrades are done to the routines at the finals, but it basically still remains the same routine.

So I think, seeing a program (only) twice in a longer time wont get boring at all :)

gkelly

Record Breaker
As long as the judges don't get bored with seeing the same program twice in one or two weeks, that factor shouldn't affect the results. And they're used to it from various events with qual rounds over the years.

Will it even be the same judges at the team event? I haven't kept track.