Lillehammer S. Ladies Freestyle Final | Golden Skate

Lillehammer S. Ladies Freestyle Final

Lillehammer 94

Rinkside
It was 10 years ago tonight (February 25th) that the Ladies Freestyle programs were skated in Hamar, Norway. Of course we all know the results. I was lucky enough to sit in the VIP section with Peggy Fleming (who sat in the row behind me) and Kristi Yamaguchi (who sat several rows ahead of me) I remember everything like it was just 5 minutes ago. Did American television cover the last skater to take the ice Katarina Witt skating to "Where Have All The Flowers Gone"?
Also, I'd have to agree with Gerri Walbert publisher of "Blades" that if one was there to see Oksana Baiul skate live that night - as we were - one would perhaps understand why the judges gave Oksana the Gold. One simply just had to be there to watch Oksana skate. I've always thought that Gerri said it so simply. You could just feel it - being there - that Oksana was that close to striking range after what we thought was Nancy's Gold medal skate.

soogar

Record Breaker
I saw Oksana skate live during Tour of Champions and she's amazing, so smooth and fast. They did show Katarina's program and I got chills up my spine b/c it was the best program in the competition. Too bad she didn't have the technical content b/c Katarina w/out the jumps was 10 times better than anything else that was skated that night (she had a better program than Oksana).

fuido

Rinkside
My one criticism for Oksana's Lillehammer program was the "One" section; the part right before "Cabaret" and right after "Somewhere." It's the part she doubled her toe-loop. That section lost a lot of the drama/brightness for me; and I don't think it was a well-put in terms of placement: a half-exciting arrangement of "One" right after the saddening "Somewhere" and the livening "Cabaret." Nancy's program was much more smooth and coherent with each piece.

But, I totally agree with everyone so far, Katarina's "Where Have all the Flowers Gone" was the best ladies' program of those Olympics.

Me. too, about "Where have all the Flowers gone?" I thought it was a much better program than Carmen from 1988.

Mathman

Seonaid920

On the Ice
regarding Lillehammer, I loved Katarina Witt's programs. Especially her long program. It was nice that she was able to be the last performer of the evening.

I think one of the best skaters that is kind of forgotton about from Lillehammer is Lu Chen, I think she won the bronze and probably would have done better except for some silly mistakes. Her short program to Clair de Lune was beautiful except that during her Lutz combo she banged into the television camera. other than that, I thought it was the best short program.

I loved Oksana Baiul's short program but the long was a bit childish - I think she was capable of a more difficult/mature program. I like her anyway and I loved her exhibition program "The Swan" I saw Oksana skate live in 1994 and then I perfectly understood why she won the gold. She was very special!

Nancy Kerrigan definitely skated the best she ever has before and I was happy for her that she was able to overcome her performing fears.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Boy, I sure don't remember Lu crashing like that. I do remember Ito doing that but not Lu.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Granny: Lu missed the camera by inches and because of that her movement looked awkward.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
free skate

my favourite moments happened before the final flight; when tonya had her equipment problems, and she bombed her lutz. i don't dislike her at alll i actually think she's a good skater, but it sure added to the tension/drama that evening. consequently, they had to force josee chouinard to skate before she was ready, and she bombed her free skate. then krisztina czako skated, then tonya skated...the last time she ever skated as an eligible skater.

that olympic games was all about the drama, on and off the ice. i remember pasha was wearing zhulin's cross, while the media portrayed usova and zhulin as a "married" couple.

katarina's LP was one of my favourites. i will never forget that melody in the beginning, when katarina was humming the melody in the recording. i, too wish she had the jumps.

i wish they had shown tanja szewczenko's free skate. they only showed five of the top six.

itofan

On the Ice
I never undersood why they skipped Tanja Szewczenko's free skate. Does anyone remember what elements she did?

gkelly

Record Breaker
My notes on Szewczenko's Lillehammer LP, from tape of Eurosport broadcast:

3loop, 3lutz, camel change camel-back Bielman (traveled), 3toe, 3loop-2toe, layback, 3sal (leaning forward), stragith line steps, 3toe (step out), combo spin, 2axel-2toe, flying camel with no fly into illusion

It was the same Man of La Mancha program with which she won the bronze at World that year.

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
I actually think Josee Chouinard might have been broadcast as a spur of the moment decision because of what happened to Tonya. Had she just skated in that slot as planned they probably would have had the allotted time to show the final 6 skaters.

soogar

Record Breaker
My disappointment with the ice dancing was that I didn't see the medal ceremony on television. Boy I would have liked to see Usova's face on the stand when her rival won gold. BTW,I really like Pasha, she's crazy , interesting and a fantastic ice dancer though I preferred the team of Usova and Zhulin.

Lillehammer 94

Rinkside
Thanks for the answer in regards to the Katarina Witt on the CBS coverage. Now, I just need to find a copy of the tape. The Lillehammer highlite tape that CBS produced never showed Katarina's program "Where Have All The Flowers Gone" as I recall. I'm really happy to read the number of comments in the above of people who liked Katarina's program. The audience certainly did.
This past Fall I purchased a photograph of Katarina waving her goodbye to the crowd in Hamar after skating what would be her last Olympic program. It's a full length photograph of Katarina with a small bundle of flowers at her feet and a smile on her face. Her final goodbye from the Olympic ice. Katarina autographed the photograph. Problem is nobody knows who actually took the photograph! I have an 8 by 10 copy - and I'm just really happy to have this photograph. I was too busy clapping myself to have to have taken her photograph. So I'm glad someone did. A sweet memory from Lillehammer.

icenut84

Final Flight
soogar said:
My disappointment with the ice dancing was that I didn't see the medal ceremony on television. Boy I would have liked to see Usova's face on the stand when her rival won gold. BTW,I really like Pasha, she's crazy , interesting and a fantastic ice dancer though I preferred the team of Usova and Zhulin.

IIRC, Usova looked just fine. I'm sure she was disappointed, but she was smiling while she waved to the crowd etc. She didn't look bitter.