Sasha Cohen Joins ABC News for the Olympics | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen Joins ABC News for the Olympics

scooter

Rinkside
Excited to see this. Sasha was a favorite of mine to. I never realized how tiny she is until I met her at the Stars on Ice anniversary party. Even wearing 5" platform shoes, she only came up to my chin. I'm 5'7".

cheerio2

On the Ice
Yay, I am excited to see her! And Danibellerika, this is totally OT, but I remember your username from Sashafans.com! I don't even remember my own username there anymore, but I hung out there ALL THE TIME from 2003-2006. Miss those days and everyone there...time flies!

Danibellerika

Medalist
Excited to see this. Sasha was a favorite of mine to. I never realized how tiny she is until I met her at the Stars on Ice anniversary party. Even wearing 5" platform shoes, she only came up to my chin. I'm 5'7".
I'm 5'7 too. I've never met Sasha but I have a few friends on the shorter side so I know what that's like.

Yay, I am excited to see her! And Danibellerika, this is totally OT, but I remember your username from Sashafans.com! I don't even remember my own username there anymore, but I hung out there ALL THE TIME from 2003-2006. Miss those days and everyone there...time flies!
HA!! :biggrin: I was kind of wondering if anybody would remember me. Yeah Sashafans was the good old days! If you were a regular I probably remember you! Good to see some old board members till around! I still keep in touch with IceAlisa, Dustin, Adrian, AlwaysSasha, and Lanie. Wow I haven't said all of those names together in a looooong time!

cjuarez

Rinkside
I love Sasha, shes pretty and smart! I hope she keeps doing these things, she left a void in skating but also dick and peggy in commentating....

Becki

Medalist

No way....O_O that's crazy short if she only came up to your chin. Does that mean you're a head taller than her?

She didn't seem that tiny in videos/photos.

katymay

Medalist
Sasha will always be the best in the world at a few things-spread eagles, split jumps...She is a wonderful show skater.

I do miss her. She was exquisite as a competitive skater, and I'm sure she's splendid as a Stars on Ice performer. I'm so glad she's continuing her education as well.

I wish they gave medals for the short program at the Olympics. It doesn't seem fair that gymnasts are eligible for a medal for every event, whereas skaters risk it all for one medal. Michelle, Debi Thomas, and Sasha would all have won OGMs, I think.

Danibellerika

Medalist
I totally agree with this. I think getting a SP medal would be even harder to get than getting a team medal. There are a number of team members (Team USA comes to mind) that likely won't be able to medal individually (or place within a medal spot after the SP) but will likely walk away with team hardware.

angeleeko

Spectator
I wish she was working for NBC, most of their commentators are cringe worthy, especially Tara L. I think Sasha would have great insight without feeling the need to blather about herself. Somehow, I feel she could be critical in a very professional manner....instead of unwarranted zeal or general bitchiness.

I wish she was working for NBC, most of their commentators are cringe worthy, especially Tara L. I think Sasha would have great insight without feeling the need to blather about herself. Somehow, I feel she could be critical in a very professional manner....instead of unwarranted zeal or general bitchiness.

I don't agree with you about Tara's commentating, but I do agree that it would be nice to have Sasha on NBC. I'm probably not going to be changing channels to watch Sasha for fear of missing NBC's coverage of the Games, because after all they're the official Olympics reporters for the event.

Danibellerika

Medalist
I don't agree with you about Tara's commentating, but I do agree that it would be nice to have Sasha on NBC. I'm probably not going to be changing channels to watch Sasha for fear of missing NBC's coverage of the Games, because after all they're the official Olympics reporters for the event.

I don't think the other stations will be doing commentary during the games themselves. They'd probably do them in the morning or something. Even still, I have a DVR and dual tuner so it's no problem. And there's the internet too. I'm sure we can still see it that way.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't think the other stations will be doing commentary during the games themselves. They'd probably do them in the morning or something. Even still, I have a DVR and dual tuner so it's no problem. And there's the internet too. I'm sure we can still see it that way.

U.S. networks other than NBC are severely limited in how much Olympic footage they can show, when, etc.
So even though Fox will have Kwan, ABC will have Cohen, etc., the non-NBC networks are not allowed to show anything live from competitions. I'm pretty sure that taped highlights are embargoed until after NBC's primetime broadcasts, plus the duration and frequency of taped highlights thereafter remain highly restricted for the non-NBC networks.
IIRC, the non-NBC networks also do not have carte blanche to shoot video (including interviews) wherever they want in Olympic venues, in the Olympic village, etc.
For instance, I believe that only certain prescribed locations are allowed for interviews.

NBC did not pay gazillions of dollars for the Olympic media rights for nothing. If other U.S. networks overstep their bounds, I'm sure that the NBC legal department will be quick to cry foul.
(The same is true for any network that has paid megabucks for the rights to a major sporting event. I'm not saying that NBC is any more protective of its rights than any other network.)

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I got my grad degree at Columbia and live a little over a mile away and play tennis right near the campus. Maybe I'll see Sasha. Probably not as I never saw Tim. I'm glad she's part of the NY life and working with the Harlem skaters group.

Danibellerika

Medalist
U.S. networks other than NBC are severely limited in how much Olympic footage they can show, when, etc.
So even though Fox will have Kwan, ABC will have Cohen, etc., the non-NBC networks are not allowed to show anything live from competitions. I'm pretty sure that taped highlights are embargoed until after NBC's primetime broadcasts, plus the duration and frequency of taped highlights thereafter remain highly restricted for the non-NBC networks.
IIRC, the non-NBC networks also do not have carte blanche to shoot video (including interviews) wherever they want in Olympic venues, in the Olympic village, etc.
For instance, I believe that only certain prescribed locations are allowed for interviews.

NBC did not pay gazillions of dollars for the Olympic media rights for nothing. If other U.S. networks overstep their bounds, I'm sure that the NBC legal department will be quick to cry foul.
(The same is true for any network that has paid megabucks for the rights to a major sporting event. I'm not saying that NBC is any more protective of its rights than any other network.)

Oh I know. I guess I mean when they do the mornings shows. I figure she'll be on Good Morning America vs. The Today Show they won't be showing anything live at that time.

Oh I know. I guess I mean when they do the mornings shows. I figure she'll be on Good Morning America vs. The Today Show they won't be showing anything live at that time.

That's what I assumed also. I don't know whether I want to switch channels because of the time difference--something might get shown even on the morning show on NBC.