Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Skating and Eye Glasses

Custom Title
    I'm hoping they come out with Acuvue Bifocal contacts for ASTIGMATISM soon. My eye doctor told me last year that as of yet, they have no such thing. What he would suggest for aging eyes with astigmatism is to put one lens in for nearsightedness and he either said the other one would be for farsightedness or something. Great. I'll probably end up looking cockeyed!

All the glasses and contacts reminds me of when I got my first pair of glasses. I was just a kid and I remember driving home and being amazed by the trees. I discovered that trees have individual leaves...they're just not blobs of green.

Today I am a faithful contact wearer. I hope contacts will always work for me...I have troubles with glasses...the whole no side vision thing bothers me.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Kara Bear:

I can wear my contacts again! I will have to invest in bi-focal contacts, but at least I can wear contacts comfortably again - it's great!!!

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Suzy:

I tried that and it did not work! This insane eye doctor caused me all kinds of problems with my contacts and eye glasses. I can wear my contacts again and I am going to look into bifocal contacts. I hear they are pretty good.

*Passionate for Figure Skating* Ice Princess's Avatar

Skating and Eye Glasses

Ladskater-

That's funny that you're going through this, too-only kind of different than me! See, when my eyes went bad when I was in my mid twenties, I think I was wearing just glasses, but when I really started ice skating in my late twenties, I wanted to wear contacts because of spinning, etc. Well, right now, I am due for a checkup & I'll need to get new lenses for my glasses & new contacts-I'm pretty much out right now! I don't have insurance right now & first I have to get a root canal, then I'm going in for my checkup! That'll be so nice to be able to wear contacts again!

Hell's Librarian
    The restaurant at the end of the universe
    I've worn glasses since I was 5 years old. I wear them to skate - no problems. I've even competed in them. My coach asked me before the comp if I HAD to wear them. I replied, "only if you want me to see."

I'd be interested in trying to skate without them, but we'd need to empty the rink first. Could be fun!

On the Ice
    Dear ladskater,

After I hit age 40 my eyes (always quite nearsighted) really got worse - too much computer, I think!

I have found a special solution which works well for me.

I wear my disposal contacts all the time (these are the kind you sleep in & change every week or 2 weeks - it's easy to forget I have them in).

In my real life, I play music, and bifocal glasses don't work - the music rack is too high up, not lower like a reading book. So, I had the prescription for my contact lenses about 1.0 (now, it's 2.0) less than my actual prescription. This is the same as wearing reading glasses - I can see the music.

Then I got a pair of glasses for driving & movies, etc. since with the 1.0 off my prescription I wasn't seeing distance as clearly as I needed.

Nowadays I also have inexpensive drugstore reading glasses for books & CDs with really teeny, tiny print - those go on top the contacts too.

I thought I was so smart to have figured this out for myself, but then I switched to a GREAT opthalmologist who told me that he recommends just this for lots of artists & musicians, or anyone for whom regular bifocals don't work or make then crazy.

Good luck! Everyone's eyes are different.

On the Ice
    PS And I forgot to say, of course, that I skate just fine with my "medium" vision contacts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2