Skating and Eye Glasses | Golden Skate

Skating and Eye Glasses

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I actually put my skates on Monday afternoon and did a few turns around the rink! I can still skate! Only I am back to wearing my eye glasses and kept taking them off to spin.

I wore contacts for over thirty years. Now, my eyes have changed and I can't wear my contacts at the moment.

I remember seeing pictures of Dorothy Hamill wearing glasses on her patch (figures) sessions, but not while she was skating!

I hope I will be able to tolerate contacts again soon!

Had a lovely skate!!!

JOHIO2

Medalist
Hi Lad,

With or without the inconvenience of glasses, I'm glad you have a chance to get back on the ice. Enjoy!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Lad, I have had terrible problems with my contacts this year after having worn them with no problems for 12 years. Suddenly my eyes were tiring quickly and sometimes I had to remove the lenses immediately because they hurt. My eye doctor refitted me with Acuvue lenses (he said they seem to fit my eyes better) and they really are much more comfortable. Of course this all ties in, I'm sure, with the fact that suddenly I can't read close up with my lenses or distance glasses on... but that's another depressing age-related story! (I can read perfectly without glasses/lenses, so I guess it's time to purchase a pair of reading "cheaters"). :\ :cry: :sheesh: :mad: :rolleye: :(

Ladskater

Record Breaker
RealtorGal:

That's my problem! I need to get bi-focal contact lenses (gas perm) and they are expensive or I can wear my present contacts and wear reading glasses! (what's the point?).

I know lazer surgery!!!!! Thanks!

Kasey

Medalist
SIGH, I'm so dang blind, even after laser surgery, I would still have to wear correction. ARGH!

Glad you had a good skate Ladskater!

Kasey

Pati

On the Ice
Ladskater said:

...bi-focal contact lenses ...I can wear my present contacts and wear reading glasses!

How do bi-focal contact lenses work? I have never worn contacts at all, and I thought they rested right on top of your iris and didn't move.

Can you really wear contacts for distance vision and use reading glasses at the same time? Or do you have to take the lenses out first? That sounds like a do-able option to me. For my current pair of glasses, I opted for the invisible bi-focals and I hate them. Sometimes I just can't find that bi-focal area and its very hard for me to read, but I really don't want bi-focals that you can see. I'm not old enough yet! :laugh:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I wore contacts for over thirty years. Now, my eyes have changed and I can't wear my contacts at the moment.
Lad-I have the same problem. I wore contacts for years and after I turned 40 my eyes changed and I could no longer wear contacts:( I am not a candidate for surgery so I have to wear my glasses all of the time, even when I skate. My glasses so far have not fallen off even while I am spinning very fast or jumping and falling:p

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I started out not accepting the fact I needed glasses but when it got so I couldn't read the bowling scoreboard I had to admit it. I hated them. Only wore them when I absolutely had to. Well, then it occurred to me that what a blessing it was that there was such a thing as glasses to help me see better that I am now thankful there is such a thing as glasses to help me see. I now use them all the time except when in bed. For some reason, I don't seem to need them when I'm asleep. :laugh: So, change your attitude and it makes all the difference in the world.

The first glasses I got were mailed to me. I put them on about the time the kids got home from school and boy were they mad. I kept going around the house seeing dirt I hadn't seen before and made them clean it. :laugh: :laugh:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Pati:

Yes, I still have my contacts from my old prescription - I can see distance with them in, but for reading I have to put a pair of inexpensive reading glasses (from the drug store!!) over them. I feel kind of foolish, but of course, no one knows I have contacts in my eyes.

Unfortunately, though, I quit trying to force my eyes to get used to this torture and just started wearing my glasses which are similar to bi-focals (progressives).

As Grgranny says "what a blessing it was that there was such a thing as glasses to help me see better that I am now thankful there is such a thing as glasses to help me see." I am glad I can see things clearly, but sure do hate having to wear the darn things. I look like a "school marm" in mine.

Well, all the best. At least we all have one thing in common!!!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I have worn Acuvue Bifocal contacts for about five years and love them. My opthalmologist described them as being made like a bullseye...rings for distance alternated with rings for reading. Highly recommend them.

Piel

Yazmeen

On the Ice
I wear glasses for astigmatism and some troubles now with far vision, but luckily I see well enough to skate without them!!!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Did you know that sometimes, probably usually, surgery for cataracts gets rid of some of the astigmatism. Mine was really bad. Now it's not very bad at all. It even got rid of my glaucoma!
I remember the first time we went somewhere at night after I got my glasses I said to my husband, "boy, there sure are a lot of vw's on the road tonight". Then, I took them off and realized it was my eyes. Without the glasses, the headlights were huge monstrosities.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I wear glasses for reading and am not a candidate for surgery, but my mom had surgery last year at the age of 80, and now can read novels again.........she is thrilled......42

Suzy

On the Ice
I'm hoping they come out with Acuvue Bifocal contacts for ASTIGMATISM soon. My eye doctor told me last year that as of yet, they have no such thing. What he would suggest for aging eyes with astigmatism is to put one lens in for nearsightedness and he either said the other one would be for farsightedness or something. Great. I'll probably end up looking cockeyed!

Kara Bear

Final Flight
All the glasses and contacts reminds me of when I got my first pair of glasses. I was just a kid and I remember driving home and being amazed by the trees. I discovered that trees have individual leaves...they're just not blobs of green.

Today I am a faithful contact wearer. I hope contacts will always work for me...I have troubles with glasses...the whole no side vision thing bothers me.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Kara Bear:

I can wear my contacts again! I will have to invest in bi-focal contacts, but at least I can wear contacts comfortably again - it's great!!!

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Suzy:

I tried that and it did not work! This insane eye doctor caused me all kinds of problems with my contacts and eye glasses. I can wear my contacts again and I am going to look into bifocal contacts. I hear they are pretty good.

Ice Princess

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Ladskater-

That's funny that you're going through this, too-only kind of different than me! See, when my eyes went bad when I was in my mid twenties, I think I was wearing just glasses, but when I really started ice skating in my late twenties, I wanted to wear contacts because of spinning, etc. Well, right now, I am due for a checkup & I'll need to get new lenses for my glasses & new contacts-I'm pretty much out right now! I don't have insurance right now & first I have to get a root canal, then I'm going in for my checkup! That'll be so nice to be able to wear contacts again!:rolleye: