Is Tonya Back or Not!! | Golden Skate

Is Tonya Back or Not!!

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
"One of the best in the world?!"

The woman has to be delusional if she thinks she can still compete after 10 years away from the sport. She wasn't a very good competitor to begin with!
Could someone PLEASE tell Ms. Harding her fifteen minutes were up years ago?
Rave

Pookie

Final Flight
Not only is she delusional about competing after 10 years away from the sport, she is also delusional if she thinks the USFSA is going to let her back in.

She hasn't exactly worked real hard to improve her image over the years and the US is not exactly low on female skating talent. :rolleye:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I’m one of the best skaters in the world and I’m not going to quit.
Does she really think she is one of the best skaters in the world? I think not!!
She is also too old at 33 to think about a come back in the amateur ranks.

Kasey

Medalist
One of the best skaters in the world?? She was one of the best skaters in the world like, 1991! She has not competed in 10 years, what egoism to say that!!! Besides, the USFSA has nothing to do with pro skating right? So if she wished to try to come back as a pro, I doubt they could do anything about it. Let's see what COI and SOI say to her when she approaches them!

Kasey

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe she could come back with a Rocky program.:laugh: :laugh:

Dee

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
She decided to pursue boxing after fighting and beating Paula Jones in a Celebrity Boxing event nearly two years ago in March, 2002. Harding claims she had one hour of training for that bout.

... and we all know what a formidable opponent Paula Jones was! :laugh: :D :laugh: :D

I know she wouldn't get reinstatement, but IMO she doesn't deserve it anyway......
Doesn't mean she shouldn't be able to skate as a pro, but I don't think anybody would want to see her and few would want to skate with her.....back a few years she competed in some sort of pro competition....never saw her again...several skaters interviewed, ones who weren't in that particular comp., said they would never participate in anything that would include Tonya.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Why can't people get their facts straight.

Check out the photo essay

"Kerrigan won several more titles, including world champion, before she quit competing."

I watched the split interview. Both ladies seem to me to have moved on in their lives. Good for them. I think we should welcome Tonya back, and Nancy has done extremely well.

Joe

heyang

Record Breaker
I doubt the USFSA would re-instate her. Ladies' skating is stronger than ever in the US. Overall, skating is different from the early 1990's. It's no longer just about jumping - COP indicates that even more. The USFSA doesn't need Tonya.

As for pro skating, Tonya's presence wouldn't be a boost, especially since a lot of the premiers skaters would probably refuse to skate with her. There's plenty of talent available for such a small pool of events.

Last time I saw her skate (during the Nancy-Tonya reunion on Fox), she appeared very athletic, but not as expressive as the current top skaters. She hasn't grown with the sport.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
She was on the Morning Show a few days ago. Has gained a lot of weight and I don't think she completed but maybe one or two delayed single axels. Only did singles badly also. It was kind of just watching someone just glide around the ice. Must say Harry was really nice to her. Didn't get the first part before she skated. Hadn't realized she was going to be on and just happened to catch her. I surf a lot.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Boxers are always making "come backs." I don't know if it will work that way for skating, "too much water under the bridge."

Tonya has always been a good jumper; just not a good competitor. Better stick with boxing!!

dizzydi

On the Ice
What a shame Tonya gets any attention from the press. Someone of her character should be totally ignored.

Dizzy

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
She's 33 years old, she looks TERRIBLE, the USFSA will NEVER let her back in, and by all indications the neurons in her brain, what there is of it, are still misfiring. If she insists on being in the limelight again, perhaps she should look into getting her own "reality show" (the term would really be stretched in this particular case). Actually, she'd be a perfect candidate for that one -- can't remember the name -- on UPN or the WB with the has-been 3rd-string celebrities who stay in the same house together.

IDLERACER

Medalist
Click HERE to take a look at her new hair color. I kind of like the bangs. She looks a bit like Brigit Hanley from "Here Come The Brides."

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Good grief, she is becoming so pathetic. The girl just wants attention and she'll do anything to get it, no matter how big a fool she makes of herself.

While I realize that this is the 10 year anniversary of the "whack" and Lillehammer and there is some reason for attention to those events, I get sick of seeing Tonya pop up almost every year around the time of Nationals or Worlds. Whether its that she's being stalked, or attempted kidnappings by crazed pickup truck drivers, or drunk driving or the "hubcap" hullaballoo, she always manages to bring attention to herself. Aside from work required for arrest penalties, she has never had a JOB that isn't some crazy celebrity thing that guarantees her media coverage. I posted this on MKF and I'll repost it here: Its really rather sad. Tonya could take a high school equivalency test, maybe even some college classes, and if she works hard, have a nice job and career and live a quiet life, but she won't. She acts like the world cheated her of stardom unfairly, as though she was supposed to be pitied and automatically forgiven for her bad choices and given a break and be handed an Olympic Gold Medal and endless fame just because she once had a triple axel and was one of the best in the world. Tonya has never been one who who can actually face reality. I still remember in 98 when she was 10th after the short program and reporters asked her what she would be satisfied with at these Olympics and her reply was "When I have that gold medal around my neck." To me, that kind of sums up Tonya. I still think part of her yearns for and believes that just maybe, the world will say "all is forgiven, we love you, you're the best skater ever, come back and skate again." Unfortunately, the only person she's kidding is herself.