2014 Olympics Mens Short Program | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Mens Short Program

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
MaiKatze said:
In our media Yuzuru is just an afterthought, the main focus lies on Plushenko - and then they see Patrick as the favourite for Gold. Maybe it is similar in other countries media. So Yuzuru still has the underdog image, when he really shouldn't have it.

That depends on where you look I think :)
Lynn Rutherford tweeted this yesterday:
"Some of the famous skaters watching practices here incl @EvanLysaeak and @TheRealEstojko singling out Hanyu as a gold medal prospect"

In fact, I think between the "insiders" a lot of people are betting on Hanyu to nail it, especially as his practices seem to go well. It's just that the usual media isn't enough into figure skating, they're just looking at the last 3 world championships or the big names and that's it. I think Patrick is in a really annoying situation: he has the pressure, while Yuzuru has the momentum. The fact that he has to skate shortly after Hanyu in the SP probably won't help. Hopefully he can keep it together.

PS: My favorite tweet was that one:
Doug Mattis
"@LynnRutherford While most guys are skating the rink, cautiously telegraphing their quads... Yuzuru Hanyu just landed 4 of 'em"
That sounds like Yuzuru no doubt :biggrin:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
In our media Yuzuru is just an afterthought, the main focus lies on Plushenko - and then they see Patrick as the favourite for Gold. Maybe it is similar in other countries media.

They can focus on Chan and Plushenko now, because after the results they'll focus on Yuzuru. :laugh:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am very curious which Patrick Chan will show up in this defining moment of his career. At the moment I kind of see the momentum with Yuzuru. But if Patrick manages cleanliness....I don't know. In our media Yuzuru is just an afterthought, the main focus lies on Plushenko - and then they see Patrick as the favourite for Gold. Maybe it is similar in other countries media. So Yuzuru still has the underdog image, when he really shouldn't have it. But in the end he seems the most relaxed. I think he is mentally stronger than the others. In the end I want the best to win. I'll accept any worthy OGM. Still wishing for Daisuke on that podium, but...you know. Wishful thinking. I wonder if everything will be decided in the short already. Oh, this is too exciting.

I think the pendelum has changed and now Hanyu is the one chased.

Icey

Record Breaker
If the reports about Plush are correct, I expect the short program will be the end of the road for him

deedee1

Record Breaker
Good luck to all boys! Especially to Daisuke, Evgeni, Brian, Tomas and Jeremy!!! Will be cheering for ya all! :yay::party::party2:

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
If figure skating eliminated people who did the worse in their group, then group 4 would be the group of death.

tae04

On the Ice
Good luck Plush, I have nothing but respect for this man even if his PCS is inflated. I hope the standings are 1. Chan 2. Hanyu 3. Plushenko or Takahashi. If Plushenko had the 3axel and 3lutz (better if he just threw the 3toe combo on the end of the 3 lutz instead of the quad) in the 2nd half of the program for bonus he could do 94-95 with how they are scoring him, but too bad him and Mishin obviously did not think of that.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
And predictions which 6 will not make the FS and which will make the final flight?

My guess would be Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez, Plushenko, Tatsuki, Takahashi for the final flight. Acutally Han Yan and Kevin Reynolds could sneak in there as well.

1 99.84 Yuzuru HANYU JPN ISU Grand Prix Final 2013/14 05.12.2013
2 98.52 Patrick CHAN CAN ISU GP Trophee Bompard 2013 15.11.2013
3 95.55 Daisuke TAKAHASHI JPN ISU GP NHK Trophy 2013 08.11.2013
5 91.56 Javier FERNANDEZ ESP ISU European Championships 2014 16.01.2014
6 91.39 Evgeni PLUSHENKO RUS XXII Olympic Winter Games 2014 06.02.2014
7 91.18 Tatsuki MACHIDA JPN ISU GP Hilton HHonors Skate America 2013 18.10.2013

I actually think the guess for who could make the penultimate group will be more interesting because basically there's 10 different skaters who probably could end up there.

8 90.14 Han YAN CHN ISU GP Cup of China 2013 01.11.2013
11 84.77 Jason BROWN USA ISU GP Trophee Bompard 2013 15.11.2013
13 83.51 Tomas VERNER CZE ISU European Championships 2014 16.01.2014
14 82.80 Michal BREZINA CZE ISU European Championships 2014 16.01.2014
18 79.93 Florent AMODIO FRA XXII Olympic Winter Games 2014 06.02.2014
19 79.62 Alexander MAJOROV SWE ISU European Championships 2014 16.01.2014
20 79.61 Peter LIEBERS GER XXII Olympic Winter Games 2014 06.02.2014
21 78.78 Jeremy ABBOTT USA ISU GP NHK Trophy 2013 08.11.2013
23 77.05 Denis TEN KAZ ISU GP Cup of China 2013 01.11.2013

(Kevin Reynolds has no SB due to not competing earlier in the season).

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
And predictions which 6 will not make the FS and which will make the final flight?

Hanyu, Chan, Plushenko, Machida, Fernandez will make the final flight for sure. The other will be whichever erratic skater- Abbott, Yan, Ten, has a good day that day, and if none do then Abbott or Reynolds.

Coco Usagi

Rinkside
So the gold medal will be decided in the short program then? Or if Patrick Chan skates the skate of his life like he did in EB?

Well, as a Canadian I will be thrilled if Canada gets its first gold in men's figure skating, but it won't be the end of the world if Yuzuru Hanyu wins gold. In fact I will be quite happy because Yuzuru is a beautiful skater to watch both off and on the ice. On the other hand Patrick's step sequences are impressive. Sigh. Too bad I can't combine their best qualities into one.

Go Canada! Go Japan!

(As for Bronze, assuming that Plushenko stay in it the entire way, he will probably get it, given Takahashi's injury this season, which is SO unfortunate.)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Takahashi's injury is sad since I think he would have won his 2nd Olympic medal and contended for gold otherwise. Oh well.

Plushenko now has a shot at the bronze or even silver, with the door opened due to Takahashi's injury. However if Fernandez skates to his full potential he will beat Plushenko. Machida landing all his jumps will also make it hard for Plushenko at his current fitness level to do a LP to beat. Then someone like Abbott or Ten catching lightning and skating spectacularly would also probably be out of reach of Plushenko (who I doubt has the endurance or physical reserves to do a clean LP right now).

Chan and Hanyu could be beaten by some others with mistakes, but Plushenko is unlikely to be able to beat them even with mistakes as he almost certainly will have some in the LP himself.

millie

Medalist
As a Canadian, I would love for Chan to win the Gold....if only he could change his attitude.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
As a Canadian, I would love for Chan to win the Gold....if only he could change his attitude.

I wont be upset if Chan wins and actually somewhat deserves it with a somewhat great skate (not another of his all too typical 3-7 falls worth of mistakes and win things). As a Canadian I would be happy to see us become the first country to win atleast 1 gold in each discipline, despite the currently obnoxious CSA group; and to see us finally win a mens gold after so many great champions passed. However I see your point about his attitude, which makes it hard to root for him, even if he had been scored fairly over the years (which isnt even his fault so I could have overlooked that).

pitterpatter

On the Ice
My guess would be Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez, Plushenko, Tatsuki, Takahashi for the final flight. Acutally Han Yan and Kevin Reynolds could sneak in there as well.

1 99.84 Yuzuru HANYU JPN ISU Grand Prix Final 2013/14 05.12.2013
2 98.52 Patrick CHAN CAN ISU GP Trophee Bompard 2013 15.11.2013
3 95.55 Daisuke TAKAHASHI JPN ISU GP NHK Trophy 2013 08.11.2013
5 91.56 Javier FERNANDEZ ESP ISU European Championships 2014 16.01.2014
6 91.39 Evgeni PLUSHENKO RUS XXII Olympic Winter Games 2014 06.02.2014
7 91.18 Tatsuki MACHIDA JPN ISU GP Hilton HHonors Skate America 2013 18.10.2013

I actually think the guess for who could make the penultimate group will be more interesting because basically there's 10 different skaters who probably could end up there.

8 90.14 Han YAN CHN ISU GP Cup of China 2013 01.11.2013
11 84.77 Jason BROWN USA ISU GP Trophee Bompard 2013 15.11.2013
13 83.51 Tomas VERNER CZE ISU European Championships 2014 16.01.2014
14 82.80 Michal BREZINA CZE ISU European Championships 2014 16.01.2014
18 79.93 Florent AMODIO FRA XXII Olympic Winter Games 2014 06.02.2014
19 79.62 Alexander MAJOROV SWE ISU European Championships 2014 16.01.2014
20 79.61 Peter LIEBERS GER XXII Olympic Winter Games 2014 06.02.2014
21 78.78 Jeremy ABBOTT USA ISU GP NHK Trophy 2013 08.11.2013
23 77.05 Denis TEN KAZ ISU GP Cup of China 2013 01.11.2013

(Kevin Reynolds has no SB due to not competing earlier in the season).

Reynolds looked surprisingly strong in the team event, so I think we might see him pull something out in the SP.

I have a good feeling than Yan is going to sneak into the final group, and a bad feeling that one of either Machida or Fernandez is going to bomb out...

Question for everyone:
If Plushenko, Fernandez, Takahashi and Machida all skate relatively cleanly, what order do you think the judges would place them in? :think:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Reynolds looked surprisingly strong in the team event, so I think we might see him pull something out in the SP.

I have a good feeling than Yan is going to sneak into the final group, and a bad feeling that one of either Machida or Fernandez is going to bomb out...

Question for everyone:
If Plushenko, Fernandez, Takahashi and Machida all skate relatively cleanly, what order do you think the judges would place them in? :think:

We are of one mind, apparently, pitterpatter! I think Machida, sadly, is the one that is more likely to flame out. His best performances, Japanese nationals withstanding, were earlier in the season, while Fernandez is doing his usual late-season peaking. Or it could be Takahashi who really hasn't had a great competition other than NHK earlier in the season.

To answer your question:
Takahashi
Plushenko
Fernandez
Machida.

More lists:

Skaters who most likely to end up in the final group
Hanyu
Chan
Plushenko

Skaters who could end up in either of the final two groups
Fernandez
Han
Reynolds
Takahashi
Machida

Skaters who could end up in the penultimate group
Verner
Brezina
Brown
Amodio
Liebers
Majorov
Abbott
Ten
Joubert

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Without any mistakes for all four, I would say Fernandez, Plushenko, Takahashi, Machida.

Evan Lysacek tweeted that Plushenko had a very rough practice and fell a lot.

*pictures Lysacek having a very evil laugh whilst writing the tweet about Plushenko having a very bad practice* :p

Bets on Plushenko blowing the SP and withdrawing due to injury? (I am not saying he would fake it, he most likely is experiencing severe pain)