2014 Olympics Mens Short Program | Page 54 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Mens Short Program

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
At first I thought Weir and Tara were OK commentators. Then Weir started saying how Liebers with a quad-3 no less isn't memorable. :rolleye:

Well, the german commentator, Daniel Weiss, equals this out with unrealistic dreams of a bronze for Peter and bashing Daisuke Takahashi. :)

Matilda

Medalist
Johnny said Leibers isn't memorable. Then Tara said isn't (skating to) Coldplay memorable? Johnny didn't respond, and then Terri (who often knows skating better than the dimwits who comment) said the performance was memorable. Drama on the ice, drama in the stands!

It was all light-hearted bantering. Johnny said good things about Liebers' skating in general. I think it's fine for the commentators to disagree at times--it's to an extent a question of their personal preferences, just like for the rest of us. I like this team, and seems like viewers are generally responding very well to their commentary.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Jason just needs to look at being in the final group as setting himself up for 2018 and forget about winning a medal though it would be nice.

Honestly I don't think he's of the "Well, I'm definitely going to win a medal" mindset. I think he's just enjoying himself and skating his best without a ton of pressure, which is why he's doing so well

ARipp42014

Medalist
Let's now play, "Which skates NBC will air tonight?"

I'm guessing the following: Abbott, Brown, Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez, and Takahashi. Plus a 5-minute Plushenko fluff before the WD!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Jeremy is such a big dope. Had he done his Nationals LP he would be atleast 3rd with a huge margin over Fernandez and the others, and be close with Chan with his small mistakes for 2nd. He would have then have the bronze won if he even got through the LP without a disaester. Of course it is Jeremy though so that cant happen.

qwertyskates

Medalist
It's the first time that I'm watching the Olympics Mens Short Program.

So I started with the drama :eek:

I agree. So dramatic!

The drama is the icing on the cake, LOVE it!:cry::clap: Who would have thought they'd witness Plushenko's farewell right there on the ice, and then come-back Abbott & Joubert? So many of the familiar faces skating with the new blood, it's just fantastic as spectacle!:bow:

Despite the errors, the skating quality was high. Love the surprises, e.g.. Majorov & Liebers.

There will be more drama tomorrow, I hope!!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
It will be a battle for the Gold and Bronze. A lot of quads attempted but not completed.
Dai was tenative but he did a good job holding onto 4th place.

Coco Usagi

Rinkside
Ha all the doubters who don't understand the system. Brown is in the final group and guaranteed bronze or higher.

Three things here:

1) Jason Brown is in the final group.
2) He is not guaranteed bronze because he has to compete with 8 other skaters and they are all within 3.5 points of each other.
3) There is no way he can get any higher than bronze because unless you haven't noticed, the 2nd place skater at the moment is more than 10 points above him...and everyone else besides the 1st place skater.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I wouldn't count on Abbott to be clean in LP.

Well duh, but if he had done his Nationals SP he would be 10 points or so ahead of Fernandez probably and have to fall about 3 times in the LP to lose the bronze. Especialy since judging by today it will be a really messy event outside the top 2 perhaps (and even Chan I wouldnt be surprised to have some real problems but wont cost him the silver at this point if he does).

gmyers

Record Breaker
Jason just needs to look at being in the final group as setting himself up for 2018 and forget about winning a medal though it would be nice.

That may be the best strategy to win bronze. By not going for it and thinking of it. But their whole strategy of keeping the jumps at 3a was brilliant and he could win more than bronze maybe gold.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
Let's now play, "Which skates NBC will air tonight?"

I'm guessing the following: Abbott, Brown, Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez, and Takahashi. Plus a 5-minute Plushenko fluff before the WD!

I think this will 100% be what they show (including the Plushenko time) and that's it. I think I'm gonna keep taping the evening shows just for the fun of guessing who they will end up showing.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Tatsuki is dangerous. He can go into 170+ range.

I think as it stands right now,
Fernadez has about 40% chance at the bronze
Tatsuki 35%
Dai 14%
Denis 10%
The rest combined 1%

I don't see anyone else getting the bronze.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Three things here:

1) Jason Brown is in the final group.
2) He is not guaranteed bronze because he has to compete with 8 other skaters and they are all within 3.5 points of each other.
3) There is no way he can get any higher than bronze because unless you haven't noticed, the 2nd place skater at the moment is more than 10 points above him...and everyone else besides the 1st place skater.

Well, he already has a bronze...a team bronze, lol.