Off-ice spin trainers??? | Golden Skate

Off-ice spin trainers???

vaskula

Spectator
Off-ice spin trainers?

Are thery any good? What exactly is it gonna help you with, center the spin, number of rotations, balance, speed? More information, anyone, please?

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Hope this helps.

The first type of spin trainer is a plastic rectangle about the size of a large ladies’ shoe. On the bottom is a strip of curved plastic which resembles the rocker on the blade; only it’s a lot wider. When using this skate spinning device, it’s a good idea to invest in a square or circle of plywood about 2 to 4 feet in width and length. This will keep you from traveling too much in your spins, but it will also save the finish on your floor as the plastic device can cause scratches. Also, the spin trainer doesn’t work on carpeting. When doing basic spins, you can wear slippers, shoes or socks, as it doesn’t really matter. You will want to be in a clear area so that you don’t crash into any furniture or slam into walls. If you have no room, try using it in a garage or outside on an asphalt or concrete surface.

The second type of spin trainer is slightly more expensive, but you can use it on any surface. It’s made of rubber-covered steel with ball bearings and a solid base that won’t slip when in use. Slightly larger and heavier than the plastic spinning device, this spin trainer is very easy to use. There are many skaters who claim that spin trainers are helpful and others who don’t think they benefit their spinning. If you are considering investing in one, the cost is about $25-$35, but if you know of someone who can loan you theirs, then you can determine whether you want to buy one or not.

Economy spin trainer:
You can make your own spin trainer in seconds. All you need is a paper plate! You can also spin in a pair of heavy socks. Keep in mind that this is only for learning balance in a spin, and that you won’t achieve too many revolutions.

megsk8z

On the Ice
I've tried them both (I have some spare time when things are slow at work) and my opinion is that the best way to train spins is to get on the ice and practice, practice, practice. The little plastic spinner is fairly useless, at least for me, and while the one with the ball bearings is slightly better nothing is really comparable to just getting on the ice and working those spins.

I spin at home with socks on my hardwood floor and it seems to work every bit as well as a spinner.

dlkksk8fan...........I love the paper plate idea! I'm going to the kitchen right now to try it. Aieeeee.............should be fun.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I know very little about such things, but if you're going outside to use it, wouldn't it be better to find a piece of wood or something flat and sturdy and do it on the lawn so you don't fall on concrete? Of course, the lawn would have to be flat too.

megsk8z

On the Ice
It Works!

Actually, your paper plate idea does work pretty well on the linoleum floor in my kitchen, so long as I remain upright. That's where I practice my jumps, too and I can honestly say that I could probably skate an entire program with paper plates on my feet! Unless, of course, someone interrupts me with "Honey, are you jumping in the kitchen again, because I can hear you crashing in there and I would appreciate it if you wouldn't fall on my dinner?"

But I do have to use 2 paper plates at a time because I get such cheap paper plates. What a great idea............