Which skater's performance at Sochi 2014 is most likely to boost the sports popularity? | Golden Skate

Which skater's performance at Sochi 2014 is most likely to boost the sports popularity?

Mao88

Record Breaker
Which skater's performance at Sochi 2014 is most likely to boost the sports popularity?

Certain individuals have the charisma to take sports to new heights of popularity through their performances. Sonja Henie was the pioneer who accomplished that in figure skating. Borg and McEnroe achieved something similar in Tennis, and Usain Bolt has done wonders for the popularity of Athletics in recent times. Other sporting figures have more of an impact in their home country/area of the world, rather than world wide. Peggy Fleming, for instance, boosted the popularity of figure skating in the United States by winning the 1968 Olympics, whilst Mao Asada has been key to enhancing its popularity in Japan (likewise Kim Yuna in South Korea).

Nevertheless, in terms of the world wide popularity of figure skating, is there any one skater who could produce a brilliant performance at the 2014 Olympics which would significantly improve the popularity of figure skating? If so, who is the most likely to produce it?

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I'll answer what a lot of people will: Jason Brown.

If I'd have to pick a lady, it would probably be Kaetlyn Osmond. They have that engaging quality, which I think is at least as important as medal chances :)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Adelina Sotnikova can boost the sport, although it isn't very likely that she'll be clean enough to medal. Aside from Yuna, Mao, and Caro most of the women look like robots skating their programs.

Danibellerika

Medalist
I think Jason Brown has that potential for the men while Julia Lipnitskaya does for the ladies. I could see them comparing her to Sasha here in the US for her flexibility.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
world popularity ? not likely
but regional or continental boost/popularity could happen if the following skaters win:

aside from Mao and Yuna who are already superstars in their respective countries

Yuzuru Hanyu - what the men's japanese has been waiting for , the most perfect prototype of a skater
attarctive, beautiful lines, effortless jumps, the skater without any flaws even Chan can't compete with that !!!

Jason Brown - for men's popularity in North America, he incorporates showmanship and most wont see him as effiminate
he is a perfect blend to get attention to men's FS

Gracie Gold - her looks alone if she wins will get a lot of buzz in the media and the us
the America's sweetheart, America's love for a beautiful blonde girl, Grace Kelly dead ringer and Hollywood beauty type
projects good acting on ice in artistry, speed, big jumps and power. I can go on about Gracie being the most superior skater
she is what the US has been looking for since Dorothy Hamil

Julia Lipnitskaya - will bring interest from younger girls and will push a new face in figure skating
a more younger audience and 16-18 year old figure skater Olympian winners will be more common

overall, I think Gracie will be the biggest face and change if she wins
I have never seen before close to a perfect skater, physically and body type is very ideal

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I don't believe any one individual skater has the power to boost skatings popularity "world wide". Within their own countries, yes.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I don't believe any one individual skater has the power to boost skatings popularity "world wide". Within their own countries, yes.

worldwide wont happen but regional is possible
Gracie Gold comes to mind immediately

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
For sure Jason Brown. I think Osmond also has the charisma factor. Yuzu's SP can wow a lot of people. If Mao somehow hits all her triple axels and other jumps that would be amazing.

I don't know if any of the classical pieces (yep, that includes Chan, Gold, Kim, Hanyu's FS) are going to do it. Casual viewers love seeing performances that are different and change people's conventions about figure skating, like Davis/White's OD (actually whoever came up with the idea to do a "national" OD theme should have gotten a huge raise, as that made the OD immensely more interesting in the last Olympics).

It's a bit unfortunate that the top favourites (V/T, Chan, Kim, D/W) have all gone the classical route and none are really "fun" or as entertaining to watch as Brown's.

And of course, there either needs to be some sort of controversy, magical moment of perseverance (like Elvis in 1998 or the Zhangs) or story (like Joannie last time) that gets people talking.

I'm thinking Ashley might also do or say something that shows support of LGBT people (and not some full on protest/demonstration) that will get people talking.

wallylutz

Medalist
I think Jason Brown has that potential for the men.

I am not sure. Jason Brown did very well at the U.S. Nationals though he is not quite there yet. When he skated to Riverdance, I can't help but thinking about the most famous Riverdance in Figure Skating : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3K5Qwj3UFI

In comparison, you can see why Brown's Riverdance is well, not quite there yet. More specifically, he hasn't quite mastered the upper body movement that comes with a total performance. Right now, he still looks a little frantic, trying to do too much at the same time, looking like he isn't in control. In any event, the only discipline that matters in the U.S. is the ladies, anything else is mere details.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think part of it helped because of the footwork and spirals and transitions going into jumps. Casual viewers don't look at him only executing one clean 3A and two-footing the other, or that he doesn't have a quad. They look at the overall performance, and not many skaters have that showmanship quality, in general or in their program selections this season.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
For sure Jason Brown. I think Osmond also has the charisma factor. Yuzu's SP can wow a lot of people. If Mao somehow hits all her triple axels and other jumps that would be amazing.

thats beyond the stretch of imagination
I think Fumie Suguri can compete with that :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
whats beyond the stretch of imagination
I think Fumie Suguri can compete with that :laugh:

I think most would agree that Osmond's SP at last year's Worlds was arguably the most entertaining of the ladies. Not everyone wants beautiful and classical, in fact, people want to be entertained. I do however think Osmond's SP was more fun to watch last year, but even still her SP this year is more fun to watch than a lot of the other ladies.

louisa05

Final Flight
Gracie is a pretty girl, but her looks are too generic. In 1982, she would have owned the world. Today, women who are distinctive get much more attention. Flip through any fashion magazine and you will see that generic blue-eyed blondes are almost entirely absent. Lena Dunham is on the cover of February's Vogue, for crying out loud.

Ashley and Meryl are probably more marketable in terms of looks because they have distinctive unique looks.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think most would agree that Osmond's SP at last year's Worlds was arguably the most entertaining of the ladies. Not everyone wants beautiful and classical, in fact, people want to be entertained. I do however think Osmond's SP was more fun to watch last year, but even still her SP this year is more fun to watch than a lot of the other ladies.

hip shaking and mambo jambo won't do it,
she needs to take a clue from Gracie Gold, that's talent, power and charisma in one !

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Gracie is a pretty girl, but her looks are too generic. In 1982, she would have owned the world. Today, women who are distinctive get much more attention. Flip through any fashion magazine and you will see that generic blue-eyed blondes are almost entirely absent. Lena Dunham is on the cover of February's Vogue, for crying out loud.

I agree. She's beautiful to watch, and technically very sound, but she doesn't draw you in as well as the other skaters. That will come with time, though. It doesn't help either that neither of her music selections allow her to exude personality and charm, and are more about looking elegant and fluid.

At least Osmond's skates are distinctive enough from each other, whereas Gracie's are both classical whatever have you (not a fan of Chan having both classical skates either).

Danibellerika

Medalist
I am not sure. Jason Brown did very well at the U.S. Nationals though he is not quite there yet. When he skated to Riverdance, I can't help but thinking about the most famous Riverdance in Figure Skating : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3K5Qwj3UFI

In comparison, you can see why Brown's Riverdance is well, not quite there yet. More specifically, he hasn't quite mastered the upper body movement that comes with a total performance. Right now, he still looks a little frantic, trying to do too much at the same time, looking like he isn't in control. In any event, the only discipline that matters in the U.S. is the ladies, anything else is mere details.

But his already has over 3 million views so he's getting the exposure now. We've had several well known male figure skaters like Scott Hamilton and Brian Boitano, Rudy Galindo. It could happen and he's off to a good start already. He's going to get even better and has a likable personality.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

Ashley and Meryl are probably more marketable in terms of looks because they have distinctive unique looks.

while I agree Meryl is distinct, her looks is almost animated, she look very disney character like in her features
no way is Wagner distinct, she looks like your typical fake blonde dyed girl and generic look
Gracie has distinct facial features and her blond ehair very much suites her
imo, she would also be noticed very well as a hollywood actress